Sam Berlyn

Default I need some fairly simple plans

Hi,
I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
Thanks

---

Bob Schmall

Sam:
Google search on "birdhouse plans." You'll find lots of them that are great
for a first project.

Bob

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
Hi,
I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
Thanks

---

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:42:44 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
wrote:

I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.

Sounds like you're tooled up to work plywood pretty well. Working
solid timber will depend on what you can get hold of that's already
ripped down to manageable sizes. Don't be too rigid about ideas of
"plans" - keep your eyes out for materials you can get hold of cheap
or free, and have a bunch of ideas floating around in your head, where
you suddenly go for one because you scored the right thing to make it
out of.

Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.

Make something you _want_. Nothing worse than being forced to follow
some dorky plan for some stupid thing that would have been tacky back
in the '50s. Yes, you could make a "pipe rack" or a "firewood
carrier" -- but what do you do with it afterwards ?!

Bird houses / feeders are good, if you have somewhere to hang it.

Furniture for your room - Chairs are cool, but a lot of work. CD racks
are an easier start. Clocks can be a laugh too - you can get cheap
movements from somewhere like Ikea and build your own cases.

Anything that's a "box" works well with plywood and a jigsaw.

For bigger projects you can build a skateboard / BMX ramp, or even a
treehouse.

You should also start looking at design. Find a book like "The Design
Source Book" - a quick history of design through the 20th century.
Flick through that and look for stuff that catches your eye. Look up
the Bauhaus movement in '20s & '30s Germany - they had lots of cool
stuff that's not too hard to build.

--
Smert' spamionam
Cherokee-LTD

This would be a perfect starting point...
http://www.stilesdesigns.com/toolbox.html

Another great site...
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/r...ex.php?cat=102

-Brian

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
: Hi,
: I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
: I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
: Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
: Thanks
:
:
:
: ---
:
:

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Hi,
I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
Thanks

In addition to looking on the web, go to your local library or bookstore
and take a look at various books of plans -- there will be plans there
varying from bird houses to boxes to whirlygigs.

---

mac davis

wrote:

Hi,
I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
Thanks

---

Do you have a box to keep your tools in yet?
A bench or table to work on?
A place like a shelf to put the things that you've made?

things like these, even very basic ones, are a great way to start
because it's something that you will use... and something that you
will think up the "plans" for as you think about how you want to use
and store your tools..

As you get older, you'll see that you still make the same things, just
bigger, with more expensive wood and MUCH more expensive tools... ;-)

Morris Dovey

Sam Berlyn wrote:

I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking. I have a drill,
jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools. Please can you
give me some ideas of good projects.

You've gotten some good responses. Here are more sources of ideas:

Ask your mom if there's something she'd like made - only fair,
considering all the stuff she's made for you (like 13 years * 365
days/year * 3 meals/day = 14,235 meals!)

Talk with your high school shop teacher. He's probably got plans
(or can get them) for more stuff than any one person could ever
build. Not only that, he's available to answer questions and make
suggestions - and he may have some usable scrap wood tucked away.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Prometheus

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:52:15 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Sam Berlyn wrote:

I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking. I have a drill,
jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools. Please can you
give me some ideas of good projects.

You've gotten some good responses. Here are more sources of ideas:

Ask your mom if there's something she'd like made - only fair,
considering all the stuff she's made for you (like 13 years * 365
days/year * 3 meals/day = 14,235 meals!)

That's always a nice idea, especially with Christmas coming up. My
first project was when I was 12 or 13, and my parents still have the
little walnut box I made on their headboard. I'd tell you a toolbox
or a hinged box, myself- since they're not too hard, and can help you
learn some good skills like cutting to length, gluing joints, and
sanding. Of course, you need to make something you like, so these may
not fit- but they're nice projects anyhow!

Talk with your high school shop teacher. He's probably got plans
(or can get them) for more stuff than any one person could ever
build. Not only that, he's available to answer questions and make
suggestions - and he may have some usable scrap wood tucked away.

13 is a little young for high-school, isn't it?
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:33:00 -0700, Mark & Juanita
calmly ranted:

wrote:

Hi,
I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
Thanks

In addition to looking on the web, go to your local library or bookstore
and take a look at various books of plans -- there will be plans there
varying from bird houses to boxes to whirlygigs.

The Dewey decimal system puts them at 284.13 for the most part.
Mine has a path worn into the carpet by that shelf as I read
them all.

Nobody mentioned www.absolutelyfreeplans.com yet, either.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Dave Balderstone

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Nobody mentioned www.absolutelyfreeplans.com yet, either.

But are there any *free* plans at that site, Larry? If not, what's the
price range?

Morris Dovey

Prometheus wrote:

Talk with your high school shop teacher. He's probably got plans
(or can get them) for more stuff than any one person could ever
build. Not only that, he's available to answer questions and make
suggestions - and he may have some usable scrap wood tucked away.

13 is a little young for high-school, isn't it?

Wasn't for me; but none of the shop teachers I ever met would be
a bit bashful about helping /any/ young person who asked...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

wrote:

Hi,
I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.
Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.
Thanks

boxes.

they don't take a lot of wood or space when they're done. they can be
as simple or ornate as you want. they are useful, so they will always
be appreciated.

toolboxes, for instance.

right now, you need one the right size for a drill, jigsaw & sander as
well as some hand tools.