Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane?

Old October 29th 04, 04:04 AM
[email protected]

Default Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane?

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:37:58 -0500, Geroge Barns
wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

follow the directions on the can?
Old October 29th 04, 04:15 AM
Rob Stokes

You should be able to thin up to 30% (using mineral spirits)...but that's
it.
Still, I'd try it, test it, let it dry and see how it does.

Good luck
Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

Old October 29th 04, 04:47 AM
Tim Douglass

wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

Did you get a can of water based poly? That is what the reaction
sounds like. I don't know if Minwax makes water base, but...

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

Mineral spirits should be the preferred option. I can't recall how
much you can thin it. The ratio is probably listed on the can. That
being said, I've thinned poly by 50% or more to get a mixture that
will soak deep into the wood. It works very well for hardening pine
desktops.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Old October 29th 04, 04:58 AM
patriarch

Geroge Barns wrote in
:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and I get congeal mixtures???

Most of the solids are already in a lump in the bottom of the can, until
you stir them in carefully, without introducing air into the mix.

Stir completely, for about 4 minutes, before starting to thin. And don't
try to work with material that's too cold, either. Check the label, and
maybe store the cans inside?

Patriarch
Old October 29th 04, 05:44 AM
Dan White

wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint

thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

follow the directions on the can?

The can says not to thin it though.

dwhite

Old October 29th 04, 02:36 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:49:12 -0500, Geroge Barns
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:58:32 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

snip

I did not mixed the Polyurethane as I got it dirt cheap at an estate sales. When
I opened the lid there is a thin harden layer, I add about 5% volume minerals
spirit and cover it for 24 hrs. Hopping the minerals sprit will melt it. The
next day I got congeal mixture, below the harden top layer!

There are not instruction of thinning, but cleaning with either minerals spirit
or paint thinner. The instruction printed on the can "Do Not Shake" in bold
letter, "Stir slowly......" why?

So as to not induce air bubbles in the poly. Shaking will produce
small air bubbles that will mess up your finish.

Thunder

Old October 29th 04, 05:31 PM
Slowhand

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

What used to be my favorite mix (until I started using Waterlox) 1/3 minwax
poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 watco oil. If you are just going to thin to
a wipeable consistancy, only go about 30% on the mineral spirits.
Otherwise, you will need to use alot of coats to build up the material. Or
get smart and use Waterlox like I do g
SH

Old October 29th 04, 06:03 PM
Tim Douglass

wrote:

I did not mixed the Polyurethane as I got it dirt cheap at an estate sales. When
I opened the lid there is a thin harden layer, I add about 5% volume minerals
spirit and cover it for 24 hrs. Hopping the minerals sprit will melt it. The
next day I got congeal mixture, below the harden top layer!

May just be too old to be worth messing with. I incurred my
Father-In-Law's wrath when I cleaned out the old paints and stuff from
his shop. Some of those cans (half full) were more than 50 years old!
I actually had to send some of it off to the hazardous waste facility
because it was lead based.

Basically, if it is older than a year or so just chuck it and buy new.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Old October 29th 04, 08:56 PM
Nova

Geroge Barns wrote:

I did not mixed the Polyurethane as I got it dirt cheap at an estate sales. When
I opened the lid there is a thin harden layer, I add about 5% volume minerals
spirit and cover it for 24 hrs. Hopping the minerals sprit will melt it. The
next day I got congeal mixture, below the harden top layer!

Polyurethane is a reactive finish. It cures by reacting with the oxygen in the
air. Once it has reacted it can not be redissolved.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA