Default Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane?

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:37:58 -0500, Geroge Barns
wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

follow the directions on the can?
Rob Stokes

You should be able to thin up to 30% (using mineral spirits)...but that's
it.
Still, I'd try it, test it, let it dry and see how it does.

Good luck
Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint

thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

follow the directions on the can?

Tim Douglass

wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

Did you get a can of water based poly? That is what the reaction
sounds like. I don't know if Minwax makes water base, but...

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

Mineral spirits should be the preferred option. I can't recall how
much you can thin it. The ratio is probably listed on the can. That
being said, I've thinned poly by 50% or more to get a mixture that
will soak deep into the wood. It works very well for hardening pine
desktops.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
patriarch

Geroge Barns wrote in
:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and I get congeal mixtures???

Most of the solids are already in a lump in the bottom of the can, until
you stir them in carefully, without introducing air into the mix.

Stir completely, for about 4 minutes, before starting to thin. And don't
try to work with material that's too cold, either. Check the label, and
maybe store the cans inside?

Patriarch
Dan White

wrote:

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint

thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

follow the directions on the can?

The can says not to thin it though.

dwhite

Rolling Thunder

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:49:12 -0500, Geroge Barns
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:58:32 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

snip

I did not mixed the Polyurethane as I got it dirt cheap at an estate sales. When
I opened the lid there is a thin harden layer, I add about 5% volume minerals
spirit and cover it for 24 hrs. Hopping the minerals sprit will melt it. The
next day I got congeal mixture, below the harden top layer!

There are not instruction of thinning, but cleaning with either minerals spirit
or paint thinner. The instruction printed on the can "Do Not Shake" in bold
letter, "Stir slowly......" why?

So as to not induce air bubbles in the poly. Shaking will produce
small air bubbles that will mess up your finish.

Thunder

Slowhand

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

What used to be my favorite mix (until I started using Waterlox) 1/3 minwax
poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 watco oil. If you are just going to thin to
a wipeable consistancy, only go about 30% on the mineral spirits.
Otherwise, you will need to use alot of coats to build up the material. Or
get smart and use Waterlox like I do g
SH

Tim Douglass

wrote:

I did not mixed the Polyurethane as I got it dirt cheap at an estate sales. When
I opened the lid there is a thin harden layer, I add about 5% volume minerals
spirit and cover it for 24 hrs. Hopping the minerals sprit will melt it. The
next day I got congeal mixture, below the harden top layer!

May just be too old to be worth messing with. I incurred my
Father-In-Law's wrath when I cleaned out the old paints and stuff from
his shop. Some of those cans (half full) were more than 50 years old!
I actually had to send some of it off to the hazardous waste facility
because it was lead based.

Basically, if it is older than a year or so just chuck it and buy new.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Nova

Geroge Barns wrote:

I did not mixed the Polyurethane as I got it dirt cheap at an estate sales. When
I opened the lid there is a thin harden layer, I add about 5% volume minerals
spirit and cover it for 24 hrs. Hopping the minerals sprit will melt it. The
next day I got congeal mixture, below the harden top layer!

Polyurethane is a reactive finish. It cures by reacting with the oxygen in the
air. Once it has reacted it can not be redissolved.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Slowhand

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

What is Waterlox and where can you buy them?

It is a tung oil based finish.
You can buy online at www.waterlox.com or www.amazon.com carries it too I
believe. I bought my last quart at Woodcraft.
SH

Gary DeWitt

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message ...
"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

What used to be my favorite mix (until I started using Waterlox) 1/3 minwax
poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 watco oil. If you are just going to thin to
a wipeable consistancy, only go about 30% on the mineral spirits.
Otherwise, you will need to use alot of coats to build up the material. Or
get smart and use Waterlox like I do g
SH

What is it you like about Waterlox? I've heard good things about it,
but would value your opinion.

Dan White: I've read that finish manufacturers have reduced VOCs as
ordered by the feds, and in order to comply, must label the can not to
thin, since that would raise the VOCs and therefore, supposedly, air
pollution.
Dan White

"Gary DeWitt" wrote in message
om...

Dan White: I've read that finish manufacturers have reduced VOCs as
ordered by the feds, and in order to comply, must label the can not to
thin, since that would raise the VOCs and therefore, supposedly, air
pollution.

Thanks, Gary. I have to get started on my own poly project. I'm starting
with the oil based Minwax though. I've got hard maple butcher block and am
going to try some linseed oil at first, followed by maybe 3 coats of thinned
gloss poly, finishing with a coat of maybe slightly thinned satin poly.

dwhite

Jim Behning

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html
Google is your friend. www.google.com

Geroge Barns wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:34:42 GMT, "Dan White" wrote:

Have you try Minwax waterbase polyurethane, are they water resistance (ie, water
resistance, after it dry)?

I check HD today they have Minwax for outdoor, can you comment that too?
By the way what is VOCs?

"Gary DeWitt" wrote in message
.com...

Dan White: I've read that finish manufacturers have reduced VOCs as
ordered by the feds, and in order to comply, must label the can not to
thin, since that would raise the VOCs and therefore, supposedly, air
pollution.

Thanks, Gary. I have to get started on my own poly project. I'm starting
with the oil based Minwax though. I've got hard maple butcher block and am
going to try some linseed oil at first, followed by maybe 3 coats of thinned
gloss poly, finishing with a coat of maybe slightly thinned satin poly.

dwhite

RE Quick Transit

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

Have you try Minwax waterbase polyurethane, are they water resistance (ie,

water
resistance, after it dry)?

Yes.

I check HD today they have Minwax for outdoor, can you comment that too?

I use their Helmsman Spar Urethane and have had good results with it.

By the way what is VOCs?

Volitile Organic Compounds. This is the stuff that evaporates and may
pollute the air.

Baron

I am assuming you have oil based polyurethane and not Minwax's water
based Polycrylic. You would have been alright if you simply removed the
thin film you found on the top of the liquid. The remaining solution is
acceptable but you should probably strain it.
The film that you found will not dissolve in mineral spirits. Once
polyurethane has cured, it will not redissolve in mineral spirits.
You can thin oil based polyurethane as much as you like. Thin it 20%
and it helps to eliminate bubbles and it gives the wet film more of a chance
to level. Thin it 50% and you have a wiping polyurethane. Thin it more and
it will start to look like an oil finish in that you will have a hard time
seeing a film.
You can shake the can as much as you like. As stated above, thin the
poly about 20% and tip off the surface of the wet film after you are done
brushing.

Good Luck.

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint

thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

Slowhand

"Gary DeWitt" wrote in message
om...
"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message
"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

What used to be my favorite mix (until I started using Waterlox) 1/3
minwax
poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 watco oil. If you are just going to thin
a wipeable consistancy, only go about 30% on the mineral spirits.
Otherwise, you will need to use alot of coats to build up the material.
Or
get smart and use Waterlox like I do g
SH

What is it you like about Waterlox? I've heard good things about it,
but would value your opinion.

It basically goes on like my home brew but is better. And I like the fact I
don't have to mess around mixing it. Another plus is the shelf life is
better than my home brew. It is very easy to use and rubs out excellent.
It is just a great product imho. Buy a quart and try it. You won't be
dissapointed. It comes in Gloss, Original (sheen is equivalant to
Semigloss), and Satin.
SH

John Grossbohlin

Missed the start of this thread...

Why not just use Minwax wiping polyurethane? You don't get the quick (thick)
build that you get with the regular Minwax poly--which may or may not be an
advantage--and it does wipe on nicely.

John

RonB

Why not just use Minwax wiping polyurethane? You don't get the quick
(thick)
build that you get with the regular Minwax poly--which may or may not be
an
advantage--and it does wipe on nicely.

I was wondering the same thing as I read throught these. Is he thinning to
restore older product, wanting to spray or what? We have a lot of answers
but I don't fully understand the question.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to bridger, lwmlnew wrote:
Minwax has no directions on the can

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ne-281882-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to bridger, lwmlnew wrote:
minwax doesn't have directions printed on the can

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ne-281882-.htm