Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane?

Old October 29th 04, 11:25 PM
Slowhand

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

What is Waterlox and where can you buy them?

It is a tung oil based finish.
You can buy online at www.waterlox.com or www.amazon.com carries it too I
believe. I bought my last quart at Woodcraft.
SH

Old October 30th 04, 02:51 AM
Gary DeWitt

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message ...
"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

What used to be my favorite mix (until I started using Waterlox) 1/3 minwax
poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 watco oil. If you are just going to thin to
a wipeable consistancy, only go about 30% on the mineral spirits.
Otherwise, you will need to use alot of coats to build up the material. Or
get smart and use Waterlox like I do g
SH

What is it you like about Waterlox? I've heard good things about it,
but would value your opinion.

Dan White: I've read that finish manufacturers have reduced VOCs as
ordered by the feds, and in order to comply, must label the can not to
thin, since that would raise the VOCs and therefore, supposedly, air
pollution.
Old October 30th 04, 03:34 AM
Dan White

"Gary DeWitt" wrote in message
om...

Dan White: I've read that finish manufacturers have reduced VOCs as
ordered by the feds, and in order to comply, must label the can not to
thin, since that would raise the VOCs and therefore, supposedly, air
pollution.

Thanks, Gary. I have to get started on my own poly project. I'm starting
with the oil based Minwax though. I've got hard maple butcher block and am
going to try some linseed oil at first, followed by maybe 3 coats of thinned
gloss poly, finishing with a coat of maybe slightly thinned satin poly.

dwhite

Old October 30th 04, 12:57 PM
Jim Behning

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html
Google is your friend. www.google.com

Geroge Barns wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:34:42 GMT, "Dan White" wrote:

Have you try Minwax waterbase polyurethane, are they water resistance (ie, water
resistance, after it dry)?

I check HD today they have Minwax for outdoor, can you comment that too?
By the way what is VOCs?

.com...

Old October 30th 04, 01:03 PM
RE Quick Transit

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

Have you try Minwax waterbase polyurethane, are they water resistance (ie,

water
resistance, after it dry)?

Yes.

I check HD today they have Minwax for outdoor, can you comment that too?

I use their Helmsman Spar Urethane and have had good results with it.

By the way what is VOCs?

Volitile Organic Compounds. This is the stuff that evaporates and may
pollute the air.

Old October 30th 04, 10:16 PM
Baron

I am assuming you have oil based polyurethane and not Minwax's water
based Polycrylic. You would have been alright if you simply removed the
thin film you found on the top of the liquid. The remaining solution is
acceptable but you should probably strain it.
The film that you found will not dissolve in mineral spirits. Once
polyurethane has cured, it will not redissolve in mineral spirits.
You can thin oil based polyurethane as much as you like. Thin it 20%
and it helps to eliminate bubbles and it gives the wet film more of a chance
to level. Thin it 50% and you have a wiping polyurethane. Thin it more and
it will start to look like an oil finish in that you will have a hard time
seeing a film.
You can shake the can as much as you like. As stated above, thin the
poly about 20% and tip off the surface of the wet film after you are done
brushing.

Good Luck.

Old October 31st 04, 12:33 AM
Slowhand

"Gary DeWitt" wrote in message
om...
"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message
"Geroge Barns" wrote in message

I tried to thin Minwax's Polyurethane with minerals spirit or paint
thinner and
I get congeal mixtures???

How do you thin Minwax Polyurethane? Thanks

What used to be my favorite mix (until I started using Waterlox) 1/3
minwax
poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 watco oil. If you are just going to thin
a wipeable consistancy, only go about 30% on the mineral spirits.
Otherwise, you will need to use alot of coats to build up the material.
Or
get smart and use Waterlox like I do g
SH

What is it you like about Waterlox? I've heard good things about it,
but would value your opinion.

It basically goes on like my home brew but is better. And I like the fact I
don't have to mess around mixing it. Another plus is the shelf life is
better than my home brew. It is very easy to use and rubs out excellent.
It is just a great product imho. Buy a quart and try it. You won't be
dissapointed. It comes in Gloss, Original (sheen is equivalant to
Semigloss), and Satin.
SH

Old October 31st 04, 02:55 AM
John Grossbohlin

Missed the start of this thread...

Why not just use Minwax wiping polyurethane? You don't get the quick (thick)
build that you get with the regular Minwax poly--which may or may not be an
advantage--and it does wipe on nicely.

John

Old November 1st 04, 02:32 PM
RonB

Why not just use Minwax wiping polyurethane? You don't get the quick
(thick)
build that you get with the regular Minwax poly--which may or may not be
an
advantage--and it does wipe on nicely.

I was wondering the same thing as I read throught these. Is he thinning to
restore older product, wanting to spray or what? We have a lot of answers
but I don't fully understand the question.