Pecan Cracker Plans?

Old October 21st 04, 02:34 AM
Mark Hopkins

Default Pecan Cracker Plans?

Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle
with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of
some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?

What have you seen out there that might work?

Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....

Old October 21st 04, 03:38 PM
U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:34:19 -0400, Mark Hopkins
wrote:
Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle
with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of
some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?

What have you seen out there that might work?

Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....

Alton Brown used an Adjustable-brand (Jorgy's parent) C-clamp from the
hardware store on his fruitcake episode of Good Eats. A four incher,
iirc.

Old October 21st 04, 07:13 PM
Bryan Berguson

"Mark Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle
with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of
some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?

What have you seen out there that might work?

Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....

Mark,

The best nut cracker I've ever used are channel lock pliers. They work
great for hickory nuts and I suspect they would work on the pecans too.
Setting the depth of closure is the key.

Bryan

Old October 21st 04, 07:21 PM
dave in Fairfax

Rob Walters wrote:
Is it bad form to watch a cooking show to see what culinary uses AB will
find for tools? The Dewalt powered pepper mill was cool...although I think
he has wisely refrained from recreating the router-powered cake mixer

I especially liked the 36" Northfield cake layer maker.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Old October 22nd 04, 12:05 AM
Dick Durbin

"Mark Hopkins" wrote in message ...
Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker?

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.
Old October 22nd 04, 02:00 AM
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Dick
Durbin wrote:

We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other.

Thanks for your joking around. I opened up this thread thinking I was
going to get some good Southern humour and was disappointed to find
that the thread was actually ON TOPIC.

Gerry
Old October 22nd 04, 02:11 AM
WoodMangler

G.E.R.R.Y. did say:

In article , Dick
Durbin wrote:

We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other.

Thanks for your joking around. I opened up this thread thinking I was
going to get some good Southern humour and was disappointed to find
that the thread was actually ON TOPIC.

Gerry

Kidding? All factual. I live a little south of Climax in Havana
(pronounced Hay' vana). It's all true. I usually ride out of Calvary and
steal my pecans there though...

Russ

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:29 AM
Mark Hopkins

That's why you folks in Florida HAVE to come to Georgia. Its because we make
the best pecan logs, pies, etc anywhere. It takes you guys too long to crack
them.

Joking aside... I have a few trees that are loaded down this year and have
so far gathered 2 5 gallon buckets full in the past couple of days. I am
sure there are a couple more out there by now. I was looking for a nice
solution to cracking one at a time and thought there might be a really cool
plan out there somewhere.

I really love pecan pies too!

om...

Old October 22nd 04, 01:57 PM
Rob Walters

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
om...

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

Someone explain to me why Climax, GA is so far away from Cumming, GA?

Rob - who is a "damn yankee" and scratches his head everytime he looks at a
map of Georgia.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
[email protected]

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:57:03 -0400, "Rob Walters"
wrote:

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
. com...

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

Someone explain to me why Climax, GA is so far away from Cumming, GA?

A comment on Southern men as lovers? :-)

--RC (whose family has lived outside Atlanta since before the Civil
War and whose great-great-great grandparents were the victims of one
of the great unsolved axe murders in Georgia history.)

Rob - who is a "damn yankee" and scratches his head everytime he looks at a
map of Georgia.

If I weren't interested in gardening and Ireland,
I'd automatically killfile any messages mentioning
'bush' or 'Kerry'

rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 04 09:16 AM
Peg-gear-clock Plans - Woodworking Plans peg-gear-clock Woodturning 0 December 11th 03 11:10 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 02:08 PM