Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TV stand

I need some help locating a magazine article/plan. Some time in the past
year or two I saw pictures of a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below. Of course, now that we are shopping
for a new TV, I cannot find the article. Anybody remember this?

I'm not sure I'd build it as designed since it required fastening to the
wall to prevent tipping, but I recall that my wife thought it "looked
nice" when I showed it to her.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:57:00 AM UTC-6, Larry Kraus wrote:
I need some help locating a magazine article/plan. Some time in the past
year or two I saw pictures of a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below. Of course, now that we are shopping
for a new TV, I cannot find the article. Anybody remember this?

I'm not sure I'd build it as designed since it required fastening to the
wall to prevent tipping, but I recall that my wife thought it "looked
nice" when I showed it to her.

Wow... the last year or two... no magazine reference, no internet reference, no woodworking TV show... just saw it somewhere. Long shot, indeed.

Maybe this will help you get going.

http://goo.gl/bv71tY

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2014 10:56 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
I need some help locating a magazine article/plan. Some time in the past
year or two I saw pictures of a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below. Of course, now that we are shopping
for a new TV, I cannot find the article. Anybody remember this?

I'm not sure I'd build it as designed since it required fastening to the
wall to prevent tipping, but I recall that my wife thought it "looked
nice" when I showed it to her.

Are you sure you did not see MY TV stand/console? I designed mine like
that.

My top lifts off, not shown but that is not complicated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/10495711233/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2014 12:04 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:57:00 AM UTC-6, Larry Kraus wrote:
I need some help locating a magazine article/plan. Some time in the past
year or two I saw pictures of a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below. Of course, now that we are shopping
for a new TV, I cannot find the article. Anybody remember this?

I'm not sure I'd build it as designed since it required fastening to the
wall to prevent tipping, but I recall that my wife thought it "looked
nice" when I showed it to her.

Wow... the last year or two... no magazine reference, no internet reference, no woodworking TV show... just saw it somewhere. Long shot, indeed.

Maybe this will help you get going.

http://goo.gl/bv71tY

Robert

Robert! Kim and I will be in SA this weekend, a busy schedule. We will
arrive Friday evening and will be there until Sunday noon. We and my
son are going there to visit his GF, a traveling nurse.

If you are interested in meeting give me a call and we will see what we
can muster up. We "may" be going to Bandara on Sat but should be back
that evening.

We are staying at the Townplace Suites by Marriott , 409 E. Houston St.

We think we will be chilling somewhere along the river walk in that area
tomorrow evening.

If yall are interested give me a call.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:57:00 AM UTC-6, Larry Kraus wrote:
a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below.

"Full motion wall mount TV stand", attaches to the wall or back of a cabinet. I didn't see any woodworking plans, but you might be able to glean a construction plan from some pictures.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stan...w=1280&bih=841

I suppose you want to make one, since you asked for plans, but if not, you can purchase a good one for less than $100. No matter which, if wall mounted, make sure your wall is supportive enough, for the anchoring/weight.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2014 1:04 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:57:00 AM UTC-6, Larry Kraus wrote:
I need some help locating a magazine article/plan. Some time in the past
year or two I saw pictures of a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below. Of course, now that we are shopping
for a new TV, I cannot find the article. Anybody remember this?

I'm not sure I'd build it as designed since it required fastening to the
wall to prevent tipping, but I recall that my wife thought it "looked
nice" when I showed it to her.

Wow... the last year or two... no magazine reference, no internet reference, no woodworking TV show... just saw it somewhere. Long shot, indeed.

Maybe this will help you get going.

http://goo.gl/bv71tY

Robert

Yeah, a long shot indeed. My wife remembered the "nice" appearance, I
remember the "gadgetry" of the sliding top (on full extension slides).
Spent most of the morning Googling, browsing through stacks of magazines
, looking through some of the digital mags I have, getting sidetracked...

Leon, I'm pretty sure it was a magazine plan, and the TV sat on the top.
As I recall they did not make a big deal of the sliding top and the
"screw the cabinet to the wall" requirement was kind of snuck in near
the end. If I kept that feature I'd probably add a fold down leg to
support the top during wiring changes.

If I can't find it I may borrow some styling ideas he
http://www.greendesigns.com/index.ht.../new_items/new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2014 1:31 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:57:00 AM UTC-6, Larry Kraus wrote:
a flat screen TV stand/cabinet that
allowed the top to be pulled forward, easing access to the TV back and
the components on the shelf below.

"Full motion wall mount TV stand", attaches to the wall or back of a cabinet. I didn't see any woodworking plans, but you might be able to glean a construction plan from some pictures.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stan...w=1280&bih=841

I suppose you want to make one, since you asked for plans, but if not, you can purchase a good one for less than $100. No matter which, if wall mounted, make sure your wall is supportive enough, for the anchoring/weight.

Sonny

This looking like a TV Christmas. I want to add a 40-50" TV/monitor to
the man cave computer (which will get one of those wall mounts), and
don't feel right leaving my wife squinting at the 25" CRT in the living
room. That room is big enough to justify something in the 55-65" range
- which means the 25 year old entertainment center isn't going to work
anymore.

I want a quality bit of furniture, but prices on that link I posted
earlier run $5k-6k, and similar pieces in solid oak or cherry from local
Amish builders are still near $1000. I'm sitting here retired, with a
shop full of tools, a good stash of lumber and a wife who thinks I
should a least *look* busier. It's getting too cold to get out of her
sight on my motorcycle. So, I'm looking at ideas....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Initially, I thought you wanted something to move the TV, only, not a whole cabinet or similar.

How about a sliding (kitchen) counter top, for your proposed cabinet? I have no experience with this type of counter top. Here's some hardwa
http://www.hafele.com.sg/sg/en/news-...ents/26869.asp

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Kraus" wrote

Leon, I'm pretty sure it was a magazine plan, and the TV sat on the top.
As I recall they did not make a big deal of the sliding top and the
"screw the cabinet to the wall" requirement was kind of snuck in near
the end. If I kept that feature I'd probably add a fold down leg to
support the top during wiring changes.
*********************
If it were me, I would incorporate a hidden compartment in a toe kick
space, and put 3 or 4, 4"x8"x16" cap block in. Make it open on the back
side. Set the unit almost in place, put the cap block in and slide it back
against the wall. No legs or screws needed.

Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:30:42 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Robert! Kim and I will be in SA this weekend, a busy schedule. We will
arrive Friday evening and will be there until Sunday noon. We and my
son are going there to visit his GF, a traveling nurse.

If you are interested in meeting give me a call and we will see what we
can muster up. We "may" be going to Bandara on Sat but should be back
that evening.

We are staying at the Townplace Suites by Marriott , 409 E. Houston St.

We think we will be chilling somewhere along the river walk in that area
tomorrow evening.

If yall are interested give me a call.

Leon, check your email. Kathy and I have a very sudden "family emergency" that will keep us occupied on Friday, but if you are here on Saturday (there is only so much to do in Bandera, bub!) evening, we might be able to get together. It would be fun!

Robert

Not a leg to stand on geoff UK diy 37 February 21st 13 07:03 PM
LCD stand Upscale Woodworking 9 August 1st 08 02:37 AM
Where do I stand on this? Dave UK diy 21 November 15th 07 09:04 PM
What does "BOC" stand for? Ron Home Repair 6 December 12th 04 03:49 PM
Stand alone RCD r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 8 November 8th 04 02:32 PM