DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best finish for Dining table??? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/72922-best-finish-dining-table.html)

Tracer October 12th 04 01:59 PM

Best finish for Dining table???

I have refinished a Maple dining table, and would like input for what
is the best clear finish to put on this. I dont want to stain, as I
love the color it is.
I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.
Thanks!

Dave W October 12th 04 02:57 PM

I made a cherry dining room table 20 yrs ago. It has been in daily use ever
since and the four coats of urethane have never been renewed. I love
varnish but urethane stands up better to the inevitable knocks.
Dave
om...

Bruce Hooke October 12th 04 03:56 PM

My dining room table is finished with "Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top Varnish"
and it has held up very well. I made the table about 8 years ago. This web
page talks about this finish:
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/tablevar.htm . I have no idea how
reliable this web site is -- I just found it by googling on "Rock Hard Table
Top Varnish," but what it says fits with my experience. I did rub out my
finish. Rock Hard Table Top Varnish is available from the usual suspects
(Woodcraft, Highland Hardware, etc.).

If you do not want an amber finish (almost all traditional varnishes will be
amber colored) then you might want to look into some of the new water-based
finishes as well as lacquer, but those are outside my realm of experience so
I can't offer any advice in that area.

- Bruce

om...

Phisherman October 12th 04 04:31 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 05:59:27 -0700, (Tracer)
wrote:

I have refinished a Maple dining table, and would like input for what
is the best clear finish to put on this. I dont want to stain, as I
love the color it is.
I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.
Thanks!

Polyurethane is about the toughest. After the last coat resist the
temptation to put the table into use--wait a month or two for the poly
to fully harden then apply a wax.

[email protected] October 12th 04 04:44 PM

I've used oil & waterbased Varathane as well as waterbased lacquer and
wouldn't cosider swithching back to oil. Fast drying without odors
and a snap to clen-up afterwards.

Graham Walters October 13th 04 12:38 AM

Could someone please explain the purpose of applying a wax over a
polyurethane finish. Also what type of wax?

Graham

ddinc October 13th 04 12:54 AM

I have a teak table, and kids. The polyurethane finish is the way to go.
It was finished when the first was born, and its hanging in after 9 yrs.

It is the main table in the house

om...

Andy Dingley October 13th 04 10:30 AM

wrote:

I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.

I wouldn't use polyurethane. It's a bit yellowish, but mainly because
there's one finish that's even harder. Acid-cure formaldehyde resins
are used for flooring and also for bars and tables. It's a two pack
paint you mix before use (not an epoxy or isocyanate though).

Easy to work with, although they do smell disgusting during
application. They harden and lose the smell completely within a few
hours.

Rustin's "Bar Top" would be a UK brand. Look for "Plastic Coating"
too.
--
Smert' spamionam

Prometheus October 16th 04 05:22 AM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:38:58 +0100, "Graham Walters"
wrote:

Could someone please explain the purpose of applying a wax over a
polyurethane finish. Also what type of wax?

Paste wax. You put it on, let it dry a bit, and then buff it, and it
looks really nice (very high gloss) Might be a little redundant with
poly, but I've never tried the two together.

Graham