Patrick Olguin

Default On Green Woodworking

A hypothetical for your ponderment.

A wooddorker finds a bit of spare space in his yard^H^H^H^H shop, and
decides to quickly erect a stout bench from the materials at hand.
Let's say the wooddorker finds some somewhat straight, and somewhat
cheap dimensional lumber at the local BORG and sets out to build a
functional bench from green douglas fir (not really a fir, but this is
common usage and I don't really have time discuss vagaries of the
various conifers for sale locally, though they are an extremely
interesting species), complete with carefully cut/milled/trimmed
square dog holes for a beefy iron bench dog.

And let's further say that as the wood seasons, the bench dog holes
shrink, making it impossible to use the beefy bench in the bench.

*sigh*

DAMHIKT.

Humbly submitted,

Single-Stop O'Deen
WoodMangler

Patrick Olguin did say:

complete with carefully cut/milled/trimmed
square dog holes for a beefy iron bench dog.

And let's further say that as the wood seasons, the bench dog holes
shrink, making it impossible to use the beefy bench in the bench.

Better race right out to http://www.lie-nielsen.com and get those $275
rosewood handled chisels to widen the dog holes a skosh...

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Leon

"Patrick Olguin" wrote in message
m...
Snip

And let's further say that as the wood seasons, the bench dog holes
shrink, making it impossible to use the beefy bench in the bench.

*sigh*

I think the holes are going to get bigger, not shrink unless you add water
regularly. ;~) You gotta think shrink the other way.

Juergen Hannappel

"Leon" writes:

"Patrick Olguin" wrote in message
m...
Snip

And let's further say that as the wood seasons, the bench dog holes
shrink, making it impossible to use the beefy bench in the bench.

*sigh*

I think the holes are going to get bigger, not shrink unless you add water
regularly. ;~) You gotta think shrink the other way.

No. The piece of wood that keeps the hole sides apart shrinks, hence
by this shrincage you hose the whole hole.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Larry Jaques

On 15 Oct 2004 09:32:48 -0700, (Patrick Olguin)
calmly ranted:

A hypothetical for your ponderment.

A wooddorker finds a bit of spare space in his yard^H^H^H^H shop, and
decides to quickly erect a stout bench from the materials at hand.

I know a few people who have screwed themselves that way, too.
DAMHIKT. squeak

Let's say the wooddorker finds some somewhat straight, and somewhat
cheap dimensional lumber at the local BORG and sets out to build a
functional bench from green douglas fir (not really a fir, but this is
common usage and I don't really have time discuss vagaries of the
various conifers for sale locally, though they are an extremely
interesting species), complete with carefully cut/milled/trimmed
square dog holes for a beefy iron bench dog.

Birdseye SPF? Wunnerful!

And let's further say that as the wood seasons, the bench dog holes
shrink, making it impossible to use the beefy bench in the bench.

How many times did we tell yo^H^Hcertain people that 1) ROUND DOGS
RULE! and 2) PINEYWOOD SUCKS!, hmmmmm?

*sigh*

Condolences to the sorry suckah suffering from that tale.

DAMHIKT.

Maybe you could mount it in your two-piece WorkMutt and...

LJ, who just finished making two replacement spacer bars for his
carving bench.(A coupla kerf-widths between tenons makes quite a
difference after all when the stiffener is in the middle of a 39"
tall leg.)

A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- ||
http://www.diversify.com
when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

mark

Trouble is, they'll only shrink in the direction of motion, so they'll get
shorter but not slimmer. Kinda like old age.

Hmmm...I haven't noticed that problem. But I have kinda gone from boxwood
to white pine.

New Woodworking Magazine? John E. Flatley, Jr. Woodworking 26 February 8th 04 03:44 PM
Sony 17SFII monitor missing green color Steve(JazzHunter) Electronics Repair 0 January 12th 04 04:35 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Woodworking Teacher(s) Jack Grube Woodworking 2 October 13th 03 08:13 AM
FS: Woodworking books (UK) Andrew Woodworking 0 July 15th 03 06:42 PM