Budget jointer recommendations?

Old September 10th 04, 03:03 AM
Wayne Whitney

Default Budget jointer recommendations?

Hello,

I'm looking for a "budget" jointer, I was wondering if anyone has any
current recommendations. So far I'm considering:

$130 Delta JT-160 6" x 30" benchtop jointer from Lowe's
$220 Harbor Freight 31849 7" x 47.5" floor jointer

Is a benchtop jointer really serviceable? Will the Harbor Freight
jointer have flat tables?

Thanks,
Wayne

Old September 10th 04, 03:22 AM
TWS

Wayne Whitney wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a "budget" jointer, I was wondering if anyone has any
current recommendations. So far I'm considering:

$130 Delta JT-160 6" x 30" benchtop jointer from Lowe's
$220 Harbor Freight 31849 7" x 47.5" floor jointer

Is a benchtop jointer really serviceable? Will the Harbor Freight
jointer have flat tables?

Thanks,
Wayne

What kind of wood will you be working with?

Will you be simply edging the wood or trying to flatten hardwood that is
the full six inches wide?

These might be ok for edging and maybe even flattening softwoods but
don't expect to flatten six inch wide hard maple (unless you take
microscopic cuts).

TWS

Old September 10th 04, 03:35 AM
toller

If you do a google search you will find the HF jointer is asked about
weekly.

I had a JT160 and found the reviews of it on Amazon were pretty accurate.
Unless you simply have no room, avoid it. If you really have no room, it
sorta works. I traded up to a used JT360; eventhough I have no place to put
it.

Old September 10th 04, 03:36 AM
Joseph Smith

Don't do the benchtop thing, Unless you don't ever plan on joining
any wood over 30 inches or so. Even then they can be a pain
to keep aligned. I don't know if for $220 or less you'll find what
your looking for unless you can get it used.

Joey

Old September 10th 04, 06:33 AM
patriarch

Wayne Whitney wrote in
:

Hello,

I'm looking for a "budget" jointer, I was wondering if anyone has any
current recommendations. So far I'm considering:

$130 Delta JT-160 6" x 30" benchtop jointer from Lowe's
$220 Harbor Freight 31849 7" x 47.5" floor jointer

Is a benchtop jointer really serviceable? Will the Harbor Freight
jointer have flat tables?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...41182,48944&cc
urrency=2&SID=

watch the wrap.
Old September 10th 04, 06:53 AM
Spoefish

Patience is helpful - I recently got a very nice Canada made 6"
General on e**** for $350 - had to drive a couple of hours to pick it
up, but it was very much worth it. It also depends on how wide and
long you need it. The old Rockwell/Delta or Delta Homecraft 4"
jointers can be just fine, and can often be found for under $100. Add
a 3/4 hp motor and you can do a lot of nice work - and they will most
likely last another hundred years. I have seen a lot of nice work
come out of small shops with only a 4" jointer. But do avoid the junk
that is currently on the market - if it looks like a cheap toy, most
likely it is, and you won't be happy when you get it, and it will only
get worse. Best advice is to stick with the old iron. Cheers and
much sawdust

Spoefish

Old September 10th 04, 10:28 AM
TWS

patriarch wrote:

Wayne Whitney wrote in
:

Hello,

I'm looking for a "budget" jointer, I was wondering if anyone has any
current recommendations. So far I'm considering:

$130 Delta JT-160 6" x 30" benchtop jointer from Lowe's
$220 Harbor Freight 31849 7" x 47.5" floor jointer

Is a benchtop jointer really serviceable? Will the Harbor Freight
jointer have flat tables?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...41182,48944&cc
urrency=2&SID=

watch the wrap.

Oh yeah, and takes up far less floor space too. Pleasing sound as well...

TWS

Old September 10th 04, 10:55 AM
Ian Dodd

Wayne Whitney wrote in message ...
Hello,

I'm looking for a "budget" jointer, I was wondering if anyone has any
current recommendations. So far I'm considering:

$130 Delta JT-160 6" x 30" benchtop jointer from Lowe's
$220 Harbor Freight 31849 7" x 47.5" floor jointer

Is a benchtop jointer really serviceable? Will the Harbor Freight
jointer have flat tables?

Thanks,
Wayne

I, too, was looking for a jointer without spending a wad of cash.
Just yesterday, while cruising my local classifieds (online), I found
a Ridgid JPO610 (well reviewed in FWW) for $250. Fortunately, SWMBO
hadn't yet ordered the iPod she promised for my birthday last week.
I'm picking it up this weekend. With a little looking, there are good
values on the used market.

Ian
Old September 10th 04, 12:24 PM
Jim Stuyck

I've used the Delta 37-070 variable speed benchtop jointer for a
few years with very satisfactory results. I've turned out a dozen or
so pieces of furniture out of white oak -- pretty sturdy stuff -- and
this jointer handled the task well. I'm "careful" with long pieces, up
to 5' or so, and they turn out straight. Almost everything I do is
limited to about 2" since, for wider surfaces, I use a surface plane.

Jim Stuyck