dteckie

Default Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun?

Thinking about getting a air nail gun /compressor combo. I've seen
some called air guns called finishing nail Gun and Brad nail Gun.
Looking at the actual nails there doesn't seem to be any differences.
Are they actually different or just different names for same guns ?.
Looking on the ends of the gun some may be a bit cumbersome to precise
nailing (wide point) on exact spot than others any comments on best
one?
patriarch

(dteckie) wrote in
om:

Thinking about getting a air nail gun /compressor combo. I've seen
some called air guns called finishing nail Gun and Brad nail Gun.
Looking at the actual nails there doesn't seem to be any differences.
Are they actually different or just different names for same guns ?.
Looking on the ends of the gun some may be a bit cumbersome to precise
nailing (wide point) on exact spot than others any comments on best
one?

There a

Pin nailers - 23 gauge, shorter lengths, headless, designed for very small
mouldings, etc. Should not cause splitting. Specialized tool. Estimate
$150 and up - don't quote me on this - not including compressor. Without
heads, some contend that the entry holes are invisible, and there is no
putty or filling needed. I wouldn't know from personal experience.

Brad nailers - 18 gauge, although there are 16 gauge, brads. 1/2" to 2-
ish+ " brads. Small heads. Chisel points. Lots of competitors. I bought
a package deal from Porter Cable, then added a nailer to shoot longer
brads, and a narrow crown stapler that I haven't used too much yet. I
learned from personal experience that shooting 2"+ 18 ga brads is a dicey
business, but that small wound healed.

Finish nailers - Typically 15 ga., heads more like finish nails.
Substantial holding power. More weight in the tool. Larger size. Less
for furniture work, and more for finish carpentry and trim work, although
there is substantial overlap in application. Porter Cable has/recently had
a combo kit with compressor, 18 ga brad nailer and 15 ga finish nailer,
available at the home centers for $300. My neighbor bought the kit, and
thought it a really good deal.

If you need super precision, you need the smaller, finer gauge, but you
give up holding power (but you typically have an adhesive.) The 15 ga
nailer has all the precision you need for crown or base or trim, and is
used by most of the pros.

Hope this helped.

Patriarch
Tom Kendrick

Explanations have already been given for the differences.
I have a 15 ga. and 18 ga. nailer as well as a narrow-crown stapler.
I have two friends who have the same 16 ga. nailer for loan.
Generally the 18 ga. is for very thin trim where splitting might be an
issue OR in conjunction with glue joints. Very light tool.
15 ga. and 16 ga. are for normal trim and crown molding where greater
length of fastener (and diameter) are needed to support the additional
weight.
Stapler for cabinet backs as well as the thicker side of door and
window trim in a house.
Use galvanized fasteners for outdoor use.

What tools will you be replacing with the nailer/bradder/stapler?
Typically only the 15 ga. nailer magazine is angled, the others are
usually straight.

Thinking about getting a air nail gun /compressor combo.

patrick conroy

"dteckie" wrote in message
om...

Looking at the actual nails there doesn't seem to be any differences.

Are you sure???
When I see "Finish Nailer" - I think 16g.
Brad Nailers, I think 18g.