Robert Rushing

Default MDF Desk top

I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall length
will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know
many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets of
3/4 4x9.) The desk will be supported by basically two boxes 34" wide on
each end leaving roughly 36" in the middle for an work area. The desk top
will be supported all the way across the front and back edge. Is a single
layer of MDF going to work as a desk top or should I double it? The desk
top will have a small TV on one end and a computer in the middle.

Thanks for all the input on clamps. I was getting ready to order other
items from Rockler and will most likely add on some bar clamps.

Thanks
Robert R.

Todd Fatheree

"Robert Rushing" wrote in message
I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall

length
will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know
many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets

of
3/4 4x9.) The desk will be supported by basically two boxes 34" wide on
each end leaving roughly 36" in the middle for an work area. The desk top
will be supported all the way across the front and back edge. Is a single
layer of MDF going to work as a desk top or should I double it? The desk
top will have a small TV on one end and a computer in the middle.

Thanks for all the input on clamps. I was getting ready to order other
items from Rockler and will most likely add on some bar clamps.

Thanks
Robert R.

It's possible that a single sheet would be OK across a 36" wide opening, but
I think I would go ahead and double it anyway, especially if it's free. I'm
still now wild about an MDF desktop, free or not. How are you protecting
the edges?

todd

Richard Cline

In article , "Robert Rushing"
wrote:

Make sure that you will be happy with the appearance of the desk before
you cut the wood.

The MDF is strong enough depending on what you mean by "the desk top
will be supported all the way across --". I have a an MDF desk top
that is 40" between the end supports. The top has a glued on support
along the front of 1x3 oak. I have a 21" monitor (very heavy) in the
middle of the desk. No problems.

Dick

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert Rushing" wrote in message
I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall
length
will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know
many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets
of
3/4 4x9.) The desk will be supported by basically two boxes 34" wide on
each end leaving roughly 36" in the middle for an work area. The desk top
will be supported all the way across the front and back edge.

It should be OK with the support you have.

Only problem I see is the weight. Unless your wife has a fork lift truck,
it will never get moved for cleaning.

Bill Rogers

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:01:52 -0500, "Robert Rushing"
wrote:

I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall length
will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know
many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets of
3/4 4x9.)

Free or not, use that for some other future, less needful project and
do the desk properly. What you got is a whole lot of free pressed
paper.

Bill.

bob peterson

"Robert Rushing" wrote in message ...
I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall length
will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know
many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets of
3/4 4x9.) The desk will be supported by basically two boxes 34" wide on
each end leaving roughly 36" in the middle for an work area. The desk top
will be supported all the way across the front and back edge. Is a single
layer of MDF going to work as a desk top or should I double it? The desk
top will have a small TV on one end and a computer in the middle.

Thanks for all the input on clamps. I was getting ready to order other
items from Rockler and will most likely add on some bar clamps.

Thanks
Robert R.

I'd be inclined to beef up the opening. maybe with a cleat across the
front and back. This is going to be very heavy and another layer of
MDF is going to make it a lot heavier.
Secret Squirrel

Bill Rogers wrote in
:

wrote:

I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall
length will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF.
(Yes I know many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF
was free 5 sheets of 3/4 4x9.)

Free or not, use that for some other future, less needful project and
do the desk properly. What you got is a whole lot of free pressed
paper.

Which could be perfectly suitable for a desktop. The OP didnt mention
how he plans to finish it or exactly what his needs are. If he intends
to veneer it or add a laminate, MDF will be just fine.

Bill.

Robert Rushing

Which could be perfectly suitable for a desktop. The OP didnt mention
how he plans to finish it or exactly what his needs are. If he intends
to veneer it or add a laminate, MDF will be just fine.

The desk top will be have Formica on the top. I thought it would provide a
smooth writing surface and a durable finish around a teenage.

Robert

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert Rushing" wrote in message

The desk top will be have Formica on the top. I thought it would provide
smooth writing surface and a durable finish around a teenage.

Robert

I have a desk that was covered with Formica about 35 or 40 years ago. Been
through a couple of kids and assorted uses and still is in good shape. If
the top wears, replace the kid instead.

IMO, it is a bit too hard for writing with a single sheet of paper, but a
desk pad works wonders. Oh, it is great for spill and rings from soda cans.
Ed

Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 11:30 PM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 05:54 PM
Desk Cable Channels Phil Jones UK diy 7 July 6th 03 10:52 PM