nivek

Default Best finish for Walnut?

Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

Charlie Self

nivek asks:

Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

What kind of use, though?

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill

Curly Woods

In article , eckart_612
@hotmail.com says...
Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

Super blonde shellac. My personal favorite would be Orange shellac
though as it really make Walnut glow IMHO.
--
All the best,

Michael Mastin
Curly Woods
1006-B North Tennessee
McKinney, Texas 75069
Toll-free866)679-6637 (866-Mr.Woods)
http://www.curlywoods.com
Lowell Holmes

I agree with the shellac. Another option is Deft Oil, Danish Oil Finish. It
supposedly has more varnish in it than other Danish oils.

"Curly Woods" wrote in message
In article , eckart_612
@hotmail.com says...
Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

Super blonde shellac. My personal favorite would be Orange shellac
though as it really make Walnut glow IMHO.
--
All the best,

Michael Mastin
Curly Woods
1006-B North Tennessee
McKinney, Texas 75069
Toll-free866)679-6637 (866-Mr.Woods)
http://www.curlywoods.com

Old Nick

July 4th
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
jo4hn

Old Nick wrote:

Answer: July 4th
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.

Question: What is the equivalent in the UK of the American July 4th?
Todd Fatheree

"nivek" wrote in message
Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

When I was finishing a walnut telephone stand, I got a lot of
recommendations for Waterlox, which is what I used.

todd

Ian Dodd

I just made a little hanging cabinet out of walnut for a community
college class I was taking.

To finish it I used (the late) Tage Frid's "4F" finish (Frid's Fine,
Fast Finish) as detailed on page 188 of Book 2.

If you don't have the book, it is basically laying on a liberal coat
of Watco or linseed oil (not boiled, according to Frid) followed
quicklt by a 3# cut of shellac. When the mixture gets tacky (just a
few minutes, you rub out the oil/shellac combo with 000 steel wool.
Afterwards a coat of wax is all it needs.

The color is natural, the grain livens up and the whole effect is very
rich, yet the finish is simple and quick to apply. Naturally, you'll
want to test it on a scrap to see for yourself.

Ian

"nivek" wrote in message ...
Nothing special, just a bookcase.

Thanks,
nivek

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
nivek asks:

Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

What kind of use, though?

Charlie Self
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities
he
excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill

Bob G.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:40:16 -0500, "nivek"
wrote:

Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

===============
Most of my work is done in walnut and I generally use Watco
followed by several coats of Butchers wax...

Bob Griffiths

MikeG

In article , eckart_612
@hotmail.com says...
Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

Danish oil. Tried and True if you can.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

MikeG

In article , eckart_612
@hotmail.com says...
Looking for something to bring out the natural color and grain.

Thanks,
nivek

Let me take that back Danish oil answer back.

First thing you have to decide is just how much protection the finish is
going to be required to provide.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods