Jerry

Default Cutting a solid core door

I'm going to build a new workbench (low-end) and was considering
laminating plywood, thick MDF, or using a solid core door as the top.

What is inside a solid core door? The door is 30" x 80". I only want
30" x 60". If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

Thanks.

CW

"Jerry" wrote in message
What is inside a solid core door?

Solid stuff Generally, particle board.

If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

A shorter piece.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:47:16 -0700, CW wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message

If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

A shorter piece.

Technically, two shorter pieces.
patriarch

Dave Hinz wrote in news:2ps0jlFoqj2mU4@uni-
berlin.de:

"Jerry" wrote in message

If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

A shorter piece.

Technically, two shorter pieces.

And one of them will likely be an acceptable, quick and dirty work table
top.

I built mine from laminating three layers of good grade plywood. By making
the top 32" wide, I got three layers from two sheets.

While it's not the fanciest in the land, it was an excellent starting
place, sturdy, and I knew what I had. Prior to that, my assembly table was
a hollow core door, pulled out during a remodel.

Patriarch
Bill Rogers

On 3 Sep 2004 12:30:59 -0700, "Jerry" wrote:

I'm going to build a new workbench (low-end) and was considering
laminating plywood, thick MDF, or using a solid core door as the top.

What is inside a solid core door? The door is 30" x 80". I only want
30" x 60". If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

Thanks.

Why not build a cross-lapped lattice frame, 3/4 [1"] old lumber will
do, depth 1.5" Then attach a decent 3/4" plywood top [and bottom if
you want.]

You might even scrounge the plywood at a home construction site. I
built my basement walls that way; stuff they thought of as scrap.
Times might have changed though.

Bill.

Greg

You might even scrounge the plywood at a home construction site. I
built my basement walls that way; stuff they thought of as scrap.
Times might have changed though

The thing that has changed is the "plywood". More often than not it will be OSB
these days but they still throw plenty away.
You could still laminate up several layers of OSB with a top coat of plywood or
some other material.
The advantage of a door is the top will already be finished. My hobby table is
a door with several coats of poly on it.
Eric Ryder

"Jerry" wrote in message
I'm going to build a new workbench (low-end) and was considering
laminating plywood, thick MDF, or using a solid core door as the top.

What is inside a solid core door? The door is 30" x 80". I only want
30" x 60". If I lop off 20" off of the end, what will I have?

Thanks.

Most solida are a fairly low density particle board under the veneer. In a
humid shop, these will bow over the years Some doors include gypsum or lead
sheeting (radiation rooms).

DanG

Doors make excellent desks and tops. Hollow doors work well for
desks. You can reuse prefinished doors. Most door shops and
lumber yards will give you deep discount on scratched and
blemished doors.

Most current production solid doors are particle board with veneer
on each face. Cheap doors have "other wood" rails and stiles.
High grade doors have rails and stiles that match the face veneer.
When you cut off one "end" you will expose the core. If it ends
at a wall, you're finished. You can install a wood cap if the
exposed core is objectionable.

Be awa
Old high quality solid doors can be stave core (glued up multiple
"other wood" strips). Actually better for your application.

Some are fire doors (lined with a mineral core/ used to be
asbestos). These typically have small colored plugs on the edges
where they injected the liquid slurry. Probably not conducive to
your project.

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)