Charlie Sullivan

Default Bending wood with sake

Has anyone here tried applying JVC's breakthrough in making wood-cone
speakers to other wood work? You soak the wood in sake to make it
flexible. Apparently it's not just the alcohol but something else in
sake. A little bit of information on this is at
http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/...sp?id=ns243699
but hardly a set of instructions for how to do it yourself. Depending
on the size of the piece it might be much more expensive than steam, but
it sounds like it must work better.

Charlie

Lee Gordon

Has anyone here tried applying JVC's breakthrough in making wood-cone
speakers to other wood work? You soak the wood in sake to make it
flexible. Apparently it's not just the alcohol but something else in
sake.

Fukui-san.
Go ahead, Ota.
The Iron Chef has added some cocobolo to his sake.
Cocoa powder?
No, cocobolo.
Hattori, are those bonito shavings he's putting in now?
Actually, I believe those are African mahogany chips from the Iron Chef's
planer.

Jay Pique

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:32:58 -0400, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

Has anyone here tried applying JVC's breakthrough in making wood-cone
speakers to other wood work? You soak the wood in sake to make it
flexible. Apparently it's not just the alcohol but something else in
sake.

Fukui-san.
Go ahead, Ota.
The Iron Chef has added some cocobolo to his sake.
Cocoa powder?
No, cocobolo.
Hattori, are those bonito shavings he's putting in now?
Actually, I believe those are African mahogany chips from the Iron Chef's
planer.

Heh - that's pretty good. I just love the voice-overs they do for
those guys and gals.

Do you suppose you can drink the saki when you're done?

JP
mike

Charlie Sullivan wrote in message ...
Has anyone here tried applying JVC's breakthrough in making wood-cone
speakers to other wood work? You soak the wood in sake to make it
flexible. Apparently it's not just the alcohol but something else in
sake. A little bit of information on this is at
http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/...sp?id=ns243699
but hardly a set of instructions for how to do it yourself. Depending
on the size of the piece it might be much more expensive than steam, but
it sounds like it must work better.

Charlie

Never heard of it, I use Downy water softner in very hot water.
Depending on the species and thickness of wood it may take as little
as ten minutes to make the wood pliable. This is an alternative to
steam bending in some cases.

mike

Old Nick

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:03:35 -0400, Charlie Sullivan
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I looked at a 12" piece of 4X2 jarrah for an afternoon and drank
several (hah!) glasses of sake. This is the lrearl seclret.

Incidentalrry, I had soaked a squid in the sake for quite a while.

I am allergicogenic to squid.

The squid was incoherent, I am afraid, apparently being allergicogenic
to sakesoaking.

The jarrah TOOK ANY FORM I LIKED..........and could stay there for
several seconds or an eternity!

I ACTUALLY MADE IT SOUND QUITE GOOD AS WELL!

Bloody rotten rice!

Has anyone here tried applying JVC's breakthrough in making wood-cone
speakers to other wood work? You soak the wood in sake to make it
flexible. Apparently it's not just the alcohol but something else in
sake. A little bit of information on this is at
http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/...sp?id=ns243699
but hardly a set of instructions for how to do it yourself. Depending
on the size of the piece it might be much more expensive than steam, but
it sounds like it must work better.

Charlie

Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so
that neither of them can do what they want to because
of the other one.
Morris Dovey

ROFLMAO!!!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Old Nick

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:41:46 -0500, Morris Dovey
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

ROFLMAO!!!

Glad I could ligten up a couple of minutes! G

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Lee Gordon

Do you suppose you can drink the saki when you're done?

Why not? I believe sake is traditionally served in little wooden boxes
rather than glasses.

Lee

Gerald Ross

Lee Gordon wrote:
Do you suppose you can drink the saki when you're done?

Why not? I believe sake is traditionally served in little wooden boxes
rather than glasses.

Lee

I can attest to the fact that Sake will make legs limber, but I don't
have a wooden leg so don't know about wood.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"