Steve

Default Cabinet Hardware question.

I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

Thanks,
Steve M.
loutent

I have used Woodworkers Hardwa

http://www.wwhardware.com/

I think it is definitely worth doing the drawers with full
extension ball bearing slides. Every time you open one,
you will appreciate the quality. The worst thing to do to
a custom drawer is to put a 3/4 extension cheap slide
on it.

I have replaced some (eventually to do all) in our kitchen
with the K-V brand. If you buy in quantities (10) you get
a pretty good deal.

Lou

In article , Steve
wrote:

I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

Thanks,
Steve M.

Leon

There are a few types of ball bearing slides, including the epoxy coated
slides. Discounting the epoxy style slides that use the 2 wheels on each
side, the better slides that use ball bearings instead of wheels and or
wheels with ball bearings tend to stay adjusted better.

With the epoxy wheeled slides you often get side to side slop that seems to
be no better than no slide at all. In kitchens for the common drawer I use
the single centered under drawer ball bearing slide. For the heavier duty
applications I use the side mounted full extension slides. Both of these
style slides, mating parts, fit together with close tolerances thus
eliminating the typical side to side slop found on most drawers that use the
roller wheel type slides.

"Steve" wrote in message
I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

Thanks,
Steve M.

Pat Barber

Here is a generic full extension that appears to be
a pretty good buy... just found these guys so I can't
speak for the quality....

***** case purchases only *****

http://www.gliderite.com/bearing.htm

I plan on buying a box for a shop project...

Steve wrote:

I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

Thanks,
Steve M.

Mike in Mystic

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full
extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that
off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to
be true..... For comparison, I've used some 100 lb. 20" slides from Lee
Valley that I know to be extremely good quality. For 15 pair of those it
would come to $153.

Mike

Steve wrote:

I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

Thanks,
Steve M.

Earl Creel

Well here are a few suggestions that you may want to consider. (1) Now
would be a good time to make any cabinet modifications you/SHMBO want. You
will avoid having to worry about matching wood grain and finish with the old
cabinets. Just do any rework so it is flush with the old and reface it
along with the rest.
(2) Do all the work on the carcasses before even thinking about measuring
for doors and drawer fronts.
(3) Pick your door and drawer hardware next. In many instances the hardware
will affect the size of the doors and drawers. For example side mounted
drawer slides typically require 1/2" clearance on each side of the drawer
but the good full extension fully concealed drawer slides need only 3/16" on
each side. (but the bottom dado must be 1/2" above the bottom of the drawer
sides.) (4) If you are going to build the doors and drawer fronts
yourself and if you can possibly afford it get the really good hardware.
Blum Tandem full extension, fully concealed undermount slides are the best I
have been able to find. They have very smooth sliding action and a closing
action that is unsurpassed. They are expensive but will not add that much
to the total cost of the project. If you have a lot of drawers and can't
stand the expense for all drawers pick the drawers that will get heavy use
and use them only in these locations. BUT as time passes you will kick
yourself over and over again for not using the best slides for all your
drawers. With these slides you can build good looking drawers with nice
dovetails and your work will not be hidden beneath ugly side mounted
hardware. Here is a link to an outfit that has some decent prices. If you
order from them call your order in as they are not great about keeping there
internet prices up to date. http://www.ahturf.com/Blum/runners.htm
Earl Creel

"Steve" wrote in message
I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

Thanks,
Steve M.

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:11:14 -0400, Steve
wrote:

|I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
|and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
|drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
|in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
|drawer slides.

Yes.

|My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
|ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
|place on line to purchase my hardware?

IMHO, it depends on the loading and how long you want them to last.
Heavy loads and a couple of plastic wheels aren't compatible. In a
bathroom cabinet I'm currently working on I'm using Blum 3/4
extension, self-closing epoxy slides. Plenty good enough for a few
towels and toothbrushes. The lowest price I found was at:
http://www.scherrs.com/

For my planned kitchen remodel, I've sampled a full-extension ball
bearing *self-closing* slide (KV8417) from: http://wwhardware.com

In my mind, kitchen drawers should be self-closing so you might give
that a thought.

Pat Barber

The "difference" is place of manufactu

Lee Valley typically sells Accuride which is a
very well made, USA brand.

I suspect these are NOT made in the USA and don't have
the big name or big advertising budgets.

I had never heard of them and they claim to have been
around for 40 years. I do not doubt that.

The really big cabinet hardware folks like Hafele,
which is the largest in the USA(I think) will sell
20" slides in boxes of 10 for "around" $7 per pair,
so the "eastern express" version for $4 per pair
is not much of a stretch.

I saw "Euro" style being sold at the IWF two years
ago for under .85 per pair....

There is only one way to find out.......
and I plan to give them a try.

Mike in Mystic wrote:

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full
extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that
off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to
be true..... For comparison, I've used some 100 lb. 20" slides from Lee
Valley that I know to be extremely good quality. For 15 pair of those it
would come to $153.

Mike

Tim Carver

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:55:24 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full
extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that
off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to
be true.....

When you add shipping at the GlideRite site, this becomes $80.00+
for 15 pairs of slides (at least to my zip code). Still, a really
great price if they are similar to Accuride 100 lb 20" slides.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:14:04 -0700, Tim Carver
calmly ranted:

wrote:

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full
extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that
off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to
be true.....

When you add shipping at the GlideRite site, this becomes $80.00+
for 15 pairs of slides (at least to my zip code). Still, a really
great price if they are similar to Accuride 100 lb 20" slides.

Questions three:

Has anyone ordered from these guys?

Are the slides imported? If so, where from?

Is the quality anywhere close to Accuride or are they
tinny POS?

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites

Pat Barber

Since you live on the "wrong coast", and shipping
ain't a biggy, why not give it a spin and give us
a report.

I "found" them and posted it... Like I said,
I do not know about the quality until I actually
see them. I suspect they are NOT Accuride quality
but who knows ???

http://www.gliderite.com/

You are kidding about them being imported.. ????

I plan on buying a set myself but my project is later
in the year.

Larry Jaques wrote:

Questions three:

Has anyone ordered from these guys?

Are the slides imported? If so, where from?

Is the quality anywhere close to Accuride or are they
tinny POS?

Pat Barber

I almost forgot...

Look at the "standards" that they meet before you
decide about the POS thing....

wrote:

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full
extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that
off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to
be true.....

When you add shipping at the GlideRite site, this becomes $80.00+
for 15 pairs of slides (at least to my zip code). Still, a really
great price if they are similar to Accuride 100 lb 20" slides.

Questions three:

Has anyone ordered from these guys?

Are the slides imported? If so, where from?

Is the quality anywhere close to Accuride or are they
tinny POS?

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites

Tom Watson

wrote:

I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors
and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of
drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference
in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated
drawer slides.
My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the
ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best
place on line to purchase my hardware?

If by "epoxy coated" you mean the slides that mount on the bottom
corners of the drawer box and run on a couple of little wheels -
there's no comparison between these and a good pair of side mount ball
bearing slides.

I always liked using the Accuride 3832 series and you can buy them in
boxes of ten for about six bucks a pair (plus the screws) for the
twenty inchers. These are 100lb rated slides and I've never had a
callback on them.

I've heard from some guys that Accuride has been losing a tremendous
amount of market share to offshore produced stuff but I don't have any
names on the brands that are taking their work away.

Good hardware is so important to a kitchen project, and represents
such a small percentage of outlay, that it's worth buying good
products.

I don't know where to buy on the net, as I always bought from a local
suppllier but I'd advise you to buy the bulk packs, rather than the
individual slides that come with the screws, directions, etc. in a
plastic bag. You can save nearly fifty percent going this way.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:52:49 GMT, Pat Barber
calmly ranted:

Since you live on the "wrong coast", and shipping

Are you in Oceanside, NY (been there once) or Oceanside, CA
(lived near there for half my life), Pat?

ain't a biggy, why not give it a spin and give us
a report.

I "found" them and posted it... Like I said,
I do not know about the quality until I actually
see them. I suspect they are NOT Accuride quality
but who knows ???

I found some cheapies in the local hardwood store for $7
a pair but haven't used them yet. They're quite a bit like
the Accurides in heft, finish, and feel but are only about
half the price. I don't see a name on them but there's an
HR stamp on the inside of the outer rail.

http://www.gliderite.com/

You are kidding about them being imported.. ????

One never knows.

I plan on buying a set myself but my project is later
in the year.

That's why I bought the cheapie pair: to compare.

I decanted some of that nastyass ammonia so maybe I'll
just build that fuming tent and start cutting oaken
pieces for the dictionary stand this weekend. (The oak
is in the way.)

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:54:11 GMT, Pat Barber
calmly ranted:

I almost forgot...

Look at the "standards" that they meet before you
decide about the POS thing....

Whose, mine or theirs?

I usually weigh quality with part-in-hand vs. some
sillyarse 9001 factory sticker or sumpin' like that.
Look and feel are at least as important as specs.
Otherwise, we could use wood-on-wood.

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites

Pat Barber

As Tom Watson has pointed out, even the Accurides
can be had for a decent price "if" bought in "bulk".
This has been my experience also.

Pat Barber

Actually, my office is in Myrtle Beach, S.C. but
when I started the company, we were 4 blocks from
the ocean, hince the name "Oceanside Systems".

Larry Jaques wrote:

Are you in Oceanside, NY (been there once) or Oceanside, CA
(lived near there for half my life), Pat?

Tom Watson

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:48:30 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

As Tom Watson has pointed out, even the Accurides
can be had for a decent price "if" bought in "bulk".
This has been my experience also.

I just found out that the name of the offshore brand, that is a
knockoff of the Accuride 3832 series, is "Sterling".

I'm told that they are less than half the cost of the Accurides.

Guys who have seen them say they look and run good but they haven't
been out in the field long enough to get a read on life expectancy.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Pat Barber

I wonder if those guys in California are "re-branding"
the knockoffs under more than one name.

http://www.gliderite.com/

or could these be rebranded Waterloo or KV ????

I love Accuride 3832's but I have always thought they
were a tad high in price for what you were getting.

Some of the retailers really jack it up on prices on
full extension drawer slides.

Where are your folks getting these "Sterling" slides ???

Tom Watson wrote:

I just found out that the name of the offshore brand, that is a
knockoff of the Accuride 3832 series, is "Sterling".

I'm told that they are less than half the cost of the Accurides.

Guys who have seen them say they look and run good but they haven't
been out in the field long enough to get a read on life expectancy.

Tom Watson

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:11:32 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

I wonder if those guys in California are "re-branding"
the knockoffs under more than one name.

http://www.gliderite.com/

or could these be rebranded Waterloo or KV ????

I love Accuride 3832's but I have always thought they
were a tad high in price for what you were getting.

Some of the retailers really jack it up on prices on
full extension drawer slides.

Where are your folks getting these "Sterling" slides ???

I checked with my old supplier for a price comparison, using the
Accuride 3832 - 22" slide as the comparison point.

All prices are for each pair, in ten packs:

Accuride 3832 $7.73
KV 8400 $7.02
KVPBB 10022 $4.89 (offshore KV branded)
Sterling 22" $6.17 (offshore accuride knockoff)

These prices are from Briggs Hardware, except the Sterling, which is
from Fessenden-Hall.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Pat Barber

Well I guess the only way to find out about
the el-cheapo's is to order a box....

I notice that they only sell in boxes of 15 which is a
wee bit different than most of the other folks.

I'm really curious...

Like you said... the long haul is when things show up.

Tom Watson wrote:

I checked with my old supplier for a price comparison, using the
Accuride 3832 - 22" slide as the comparison point.

All prices are for each pair, in ten packs:

Accuride 3832 $7.73
KV 8400 $7.02
KVPBB 10022 $4.89 (offshore KV branded)
Sterling 22" $6.17 (offshore accuride knockoff)

These prices are from Briggs Hardware, except the Sterling, which is
from Fessenden-Hall.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:51:25 GMT, Pat Barber
calmly ranted:

Actually, my office is in Myrtle Beach, S.C. but
when I started the company, we were 4 blocks from
the ocean, hince the name "Oceanside Systems".

Souf KayLINAH and 4 blocks away? That ain't "oceanside."

Are you gearing up for a windy time right about now?
(Looks like you're getting hit with a large storm now.)

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Rick Chamberlain

In article , Larry Jaques
says...

wrote:

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full
extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that
off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to
be true.....

When you add shipping at the GlideRite site, this becomes $80.00+
for 15 pairs of slides (at least to my zip code). Still, a really
great price if they are similar to Accuride 100 lb 20" slides.

Questions three:

Has anyone ordered from these guys?

No. Not yet.

Are the slides imported? If so, where from?

Yes. China.

Is the quality anywhere close to Accuride or are they
tinny POS?

Quality is actually pretty good. I got a pair when I attended a
liquidation auction and they were bunched in with a box of Accurides.
They feel pretty good for a $4/pr slide, with an extra ball in the
bearing slide to boot.

Haven't tried them in anything other than my shop cabs, but they seem to
hold up ok. I'm looking at getting a box.

Regards,
Rick

Pat Barber

Hurricane Charlie is now been upgraded at 2:00pm
to a Cat 4 (145mph)... Florida west coast is gonna
get reaaaaal wet. Some place called Charlotte Harbor
is gonna catch the eye of the storm later this PM.

We get some of the action tomorrow around lunch time
the way it looks right now.

Go here for a blow by blow(so to speak)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/