Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:59:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:47:52 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 2:17:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:02:35 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I set this up about 6 months ago and it still makes me smile. I have a really
small shop and keeping it clean keeps it from getting even smaller. It may
not look like much, but compared *nothing* or compared to dragging the
wet-dry vac around and hooking it up to whatever tool I was using at the
time, it's an unbelievably huge improvement.

He doesn't have enough equipment to warrant even that. His gear is a mix of inherited stuff,
garage sale stuff, broken stuff, a few of my tools I have given him that I think are on their last
leg (compressor, leaking air hose, saw with a bad guard and bearings), or anything he can
borrow from me after a quick phone call to find out if he can.

If he's working wood, he's making saw dust. A vac in a cabinet (vented in the rear) and a couple
of extension hoses will improve his efficiency and increase his desire to do more.

I don't agree - brooms were sufficient for centuries before shop-vacs became
were even invented....

Bloodletting was sufficient for quite some time also.

When I get home tonight I'll stick my broom into the hole in the back of my router table
fence and see if I am just as efficient as with my vac.

You see, that's your problem. You designed the router table with just
a little hole in the back. If you'd kept the bottom of the table
open, the shavings would just fall to the floor where your broom could
"easily" sweep them up. ...maybe after they get knee deep. Silly
you! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 23:26:46 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in
:

I don't agree - brooms were sufficient for centuries before shop-vacs
became were even invented....

Tools were also hand-powered for that time too. A hand powered saw doesn't
usually send sawdust flying across the room, so it was easier for the
broom.

Or leave it hanging in the air where it fills the nose and lungs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

In my dictionary "sufficient" and "efficient" are two different words.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper writes:
(Scott Lurndal) wrote in
:

I don't agree - brooms were sufficient for centuries before shop-vacs
became were even invented....

Tools were also hand-powered for that time too. A hand powered saw doesn't
usually send sawdust flying across the room, so it was easier for the
broom.

Come now - power tools have been around for more than a century and
for most of that time, there weren't portable shop vacuums, portable dust
collectors or fancy air cleaners in home or farm shops.

Just an idiot stick (c.f. Robert Heinlein's _Glory Road_).

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

Then what was your point in responding in the way you did? I said a vac would improve
his "efficiency" and you *disagreed*, stating that brooms were "sufficient". What were you
disagreeing with?

"The house is blue."

"I disagree. It's a ranch."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 06:17:56 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in
:

You see, that's your problem. You designed the router table with just
a little hole in the back. If you'd kept the bottom of the table
open, the shavings would just fall to the floor where your broom could
"easily" sweep them up. ...maybe after they get knee deep. Silly
you! ;-)

Better yet, position a bucket under where the shavings will fall.

Easiest way to keep your shop clean is to work in someone else's. :-)

Good point. The tools are cheaper, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

No, it's creamy Italian.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

It's Romaine, you imbeciles!!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

This groups always provides at least a little entertainment. Usually after a thread is completely derailed, the usual suspects start picking at each other until one gets ****ed off.

Previously (paraphrased):

"thanks to everyone that has called, texted, emailed etc., asking about our welfare during these floods. We are OK, but the city of Houston is in real trouble"

Reply: "FU... FU! Don't tell me about RVs, my brother in law owns one and parks it where he wants as long as he wants!

"Does anyone have any information about the Kreg hinge jig?"

Reply: "Don't tell me a broom is better when it clearly isn't!"

LOL!

I don't have much use for dust collection as it just doesn't suit my style of working. When I was doing a lot of refinishing, I certainly used it. I had a 1 hp collector on wheels that I used to hook to my sander for seriously dust free sanding using my 16 gallon dust vac.

Doing demo in a house where there is a lot of cutting of sheetrock and some demo, the preferred method is drop down of plastic curtains securely taped to ceilings, walls and floors. Cleanup is ongoing during the day, with a good clean at the end of the day. No hoses on the floor, no moving the machine from room to room, etc. In an unoccupied house I have a plumber, electrician, maybe an A/C guy, painters, carpenters, and me all making dust by cutting sheet rock, repairing walls, modifying cabinets, hanging doors, sanding, insulating, and on and on. We clean every other day, or at the logical end of a process.

We don't always use a vac for a vac. One of my helpers a few years ago started cleaning out garage work areas and cleaning off patios or decks like this: rough sweep all the debris into a pile and pick it up with the pan (we use a snow scoop) and put it in the trash. Put the shop vac hose on the output side and blow the surfaces clean. I always wondered how he got the garages and patios so clean so fast. My old boss used to say that if you wanted the fastest, easiest way to do something, give the job to the laziest guy on site. They'll figure it out.

I don't use the shop vac as a blower in a house, but if I am working on a patio, deck, or a nearly empty garage, we always just blow the sawdust out and don't pick it up. My clients love the fact that we will blow off their outside surfaces and leave them really clean. If they only knew... they think we sweep off leaves and debris by hand and pick it all up. We even use it as a blower when we are cleaning up after landscaping.

Then there's that damn Kreg jig...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:33:42 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

See, I'm not the only one.
A lot of times I'll got for the broom instead of the vac and my wife is
like, "I thought you used your shop vac."
I always say, "It doesn't have to be that clean, right now."

Probably the fact that we clean up our jobs make us a bit unusual, no?

When working in an occupied house, part of my contractual verbiage says "at the end of each work day the work area will be left broom swept, and all loose material will be removed or secured".

We don't vac a job until we are done, or we need to due to dusty demo. At that point, we have been known to mop floors as well.

Unoccupied homes or office finish outs are cleaned for safety and the ability to work easily. Final cleanup is when we are finished. The rest of the time? Shop vac isn't even on the job. It's brooms and scoops the whole way, right up to the end.

Robert