Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rusty Drill Press Column, Part II

The drill press is now less rusty than it was and acceptable for use. Is
there something we could apply to lubricate the column and keep it from
rusting again? Paste wax maybe?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 1:29:44 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
The drill press is now less rusty than it was and acceptable for use. Is
there something we could apply to lubricate the column and keep it from
rusting again? Paste wax maybe?

I vote wax. I apply wax to my 1950s vintage Rockwell drill press column. If you apply an oily product, it will collect sawdust and other grime..... same with applying an oil product to vice threads and other like tools, collects sawdust and misc grime.

My Craftsman drill press column needs de-rusting and waxing, as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

The drill press is now less rusty than it was and acceptable for use. Is
there something we could apply to lubricate the column and keep it from
rusting again? Paste wax maybe?

this works great for me:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SC-Johnso...0203/100154748

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2017 2:29 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
The drill press is now less rusty than it was and acceptable for use. Is
there something we could apply to lubricate the column and keep it from
rusting again? Paste wax maybe?

I use a good grade of liquid car wax on all of the shiny surfaces on the
tools in my shop. This includes the drill press column, the tables on
the saw, drill press, and tools like squares, etc.

I do it about once a year, but it would vary with your use of the tool.

Every several years I clean the surfaces with a petroleum material, gas,
light oil, etc. or what ever I place my hands on first. Remove any
residuals and rewax. This helps prevent a build up of wax on any of the
surfaces.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:29:39 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

The drill press is now less rusty than it was and acceptable for use. Is
there something we could apply to lubricate the column and keep it from
rusting again? Paste wax maybe?

Top Kote or BoeShield, would be my choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 2:29:44 PM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
The drill press is now less rusty than it was and acceptable for use. Is
there something we could apply to lubricate the column and keep it from
rusting again? Paste wax maybe?

ok, If you search this board, I had some great replies to the same question on my table saw's surface. For my purposes, I have had luck in the past with paste wax, but it was no longer working in a new shop.

If you try that route, I'd think that the wax would also help to lubricate the gears on your column-- it's not exactly a substitute for grease, but you could do worse, too.

I tried the TopKote (which now has a new name: GLIDE COTE) and I like it, but you need to re-apply, pretty often.

On the other hand, the "Krud Kutter: the Must for rust" I mentioned is also an inhibitor-- I used this one on my cast iron band saw table, and it looks like the day I put it on. No issues with need to re-coat or breakdown whatsoever.

unless you find another way to lubricate your cogs, (preferably not WD 40, 'cause that'll break down any of the previously mentioned finishes), I'd try the paste first in your situation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On the other hand, the "Krud Kutter: the Must for rust" I mentioned is also an inhibitor-- I used this one on my cast iron band saw table, and it looks like the day I put it on. No issues with need to re-coat or breakdown whatsoever.

...but I should have also told you that the Krud Kutter looks like hell. Mottled, metal & white spots, almost powdery-looking (but not actually powdery)residue left on there.

the GlideCote, on the other hand looks great-- important for my table; not as important for the band saw, not at all for your column, I'd think.