Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Birth Of A Dugout Canoe

18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:54:38 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Pretty darn neat! .... the woodworking, the family & friends and the inspiration.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2017 12:54 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Wow, I thought it would take longer than 18 minutes to make a canoe.
I'm going to make a few of them tomorrow morning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 16:54:32 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Great find! Thanks for the link.

Not quite like I remember them doing it when I was young and you burnt
out the inside, but still it was a beautiful job.

Remember the shredded wheat cards with projects like that separating
them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 12:54:38 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Question: At about the 6 minute mark he begins to clear out the innards. You
can see some pretty wide saw kerfs running both lengthwise and widthwise. I'm
thinking chainsaw. Isn't that cheating? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:23:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 12:54:38 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Question: At about the 6 minute mark he begins to clear out the innards. You
can see some pretty wide saw kerfs running both lengthwise and widthwise. I'm
thinking chainsaw. Isn't that cheating? ;-)

Nah cheating would be adapting a stump ginder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , markem618
@hotmail.com says...

wrote:

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 12:54:38 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Question: At about the 6 minute mark he begins to clear out the innards. You
can see some pretty wide saw kerfs running both lengthwise and widthwise. I'm
thinking chainsaw. Isn't that cheating? ;-)

Nah cheating would be adapting a stump ginder.

Just a note, but the "Guild of Northmen" is a tool company--I suspect they
want you to buy all the stuff they showed that was used to make the canoe,
and that they didn't show the tools that they used that they don't sell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , markem618
@hotmail.com says...

wrote:

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 12:54:38 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/207763253

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Question: At about the 6 minute mark he begins to clear out the innards. You
can see some pretty wide saw kerfs running both lengthwise and widthwise. I'm
thinking chainsaw. Isn't that cheating? ;-)

Nah cheating would be adapting a stump ginder.

Just a note, but the "Guild of Northmen" is a tool company--I suspect they
want you to buy all the stuff they showed that was used to make the canoe,
and that they didn't show the tools that they used that they don't sell.

http://www.northmen.com/en/about-us/who-where-and-why
http://www.northmen.com/en/products

Same folks (new name) produced the 'Birth Of A Wooden House'
video last year.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/157572718

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , markem618
@hotmail.com says...

wrote:

[...]

Those guys got mad skillz. I'd a cut my foot off the first time I tried to
use that axe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote:

18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process
of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly
traditional hand tools and techniques.

nice project

for smooth water only

CANOE - PDF J T Woodworking 3 August 21st 07 02:04 AM
REDWOOD CANOE J T Woodworking 0 September 22nd 06 01:44 AM
CHEAP CANOE - PDF J T Woodworking 1 September 15th 06 09:40 PM
SHOPBOT CANOE J T Woodworking 0 October 16th 05 05:50 AM