Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cart for Planer

I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.
--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 15:07:09 -0400
"G. Ross" wrote:

I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

good idea

was thinking of doing this and but with the addition of some sound
proofing around the planer with sliding doors to adjust for thickness

probably will never do this idea but would be nice to have the unit
flip upside down so the surface of the cart was usable

there is a video out there where a guy did this

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 2:06:25 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.
--
GW Ross

Portable bench! Good idea and good job.

For some of us, now days, these portable ideas sure beats hauling/moving some of our heavier loads.

I inherited an old Rockwell benchtop drill press and router/shaper, both on custom cabinets, lawn mower wheel casters. Tom used 3/4" gal. pipe as handles, that slide in and out of the upper "rails" of the cabinet frame. The wood framing is reinforced with 1.5" angle iron, which makes them awkwardly/super heavy for maneuvering, easily, but probably makes them more stable, when in certain use.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2017 2:07 PM, G. Ross wrote:
I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off and
bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle from
Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with lag
bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

Darn fine job there. Now if you can mount lawnmower handle bars on it
you are set to smooth out your yard too. :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 15:07:09 -0400
"G. Ross" wrote:

I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

good idea

was thinking of doing this and but with the addition of some sound
proofing around the planer with sliding doors to adjust for thickness

The only sound-proofing I need is the ear protectors. All my
neighbors work during the day. Hey-hey. I'm retired. Or maybe it is
I'm retarded.

probably will never do this idea but would be nice to have the unit
flip upside down so the surface of the cart was usable

there is a video out there where a guy did this

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 4/8/2017 2:07 PM, G. Ross wrote:
I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off and
bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle from
Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with lag
bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

Darn fine job there. Now if you can mount lawnmower handle bars on it
you are set to smooth out your yard too. :~)

I forgot to say I did not use sketchup or plans.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2017 3:07 PM, G. Ross wrote:
I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a cart
to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off and bring it
back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle from Lowes and the
rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

I did something like that years ago when I was working out of part of a
single car garage. My cart had a Ryobi contractor saw on top and a Ryobi
12" planer mounted on a shelf underneath. The saw was a bit too high and
the planer was a bit too low but I didn't know any better at the time. It
worked for what I needed.

Now I have a Robland X-31 that is also, theoretically at least, movable but
a half-ton of iron and steel aren't all that maneuverable but at least now
I have a full garage bay to work in so it doesn't have to move more than
once or twice a year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

Nice, and fresh mulch as well.

A truly "green" planer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

Nice, and fresh mulch as well.

Just be careful what species you plane. Some is toxic to the normal
plants we tend to have around. More often, wood mulch will screw up
the pH of the ground.

A truly "green" planer.

Festool makes a planer now?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 12:15:12 -0700, Electric Comet wrote:

probably will never do this idea but would be nice to have the unit flip
upside down so the surface of the cart was usable

My planer cart has a flip top, but there's a thickness sander on the
other side :-)

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 09:32:23 -0400, "G. Ross"

wrote:

I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.

Nice, and fresh mulch as well.

Just be careful what species you plane. Some is toxic to the normal
plants we tend to have around. More often, wood mulch will screw up
the pH of the ground.

A truly "green" planer.

Festool makes a planer now?

Normally the shavings make a neat pile which I pick up with a manure
fork and bag. The spot I use has nothing but leaves, no nearby
plants. I never use shavings as mulch, as they take up nitrogen in
decomposition. I have plenty of pine straw for mulching.

Good plan.

The planer is actually orange.

I saw the pictures but, well, nevermind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:20:17 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

My planer cart has a flip top, but there's a thickness sander on the
other side :-)

nice idea there too

multipurpose is good especially in a small shop

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/9/2017 9:24 AM, Trenbidia wrote:

Normally the shavings make a neat pile which I pick up with a manure
fork and bag. The spot I use has nothing but leaves, no nearby plants.
I never use shavings as mulch, as they take up nitrogen in
decomposition. I have plenty of pine straw for mulching.

The planer is actually orange.

Be kind to those without lives. They grasp at any straw for increased
self worth.
http://i.cubeupload.com/mX26pm.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/nSE8CJ.jpg

Even thought you seem to go for this sort of thing we will try to be
kind to you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 6:33:37 PM UTC-5, John McGaw wrote:

Now I have a Robland X-31 that is also, theoretically at least, movable but
a half-ton of iron and steel aren't all that maneuverable but at least now
I have a full garage bay to work in so it doesn't have to move more than
once or twice a year.

Have not heard Robland combination machines mentioned in decades. Can't even remember what they look like.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 2:06:25 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I don't have room to permanently mount my portable planer so I made a
cart to mount it on. I roll it outside when I need it, blow it off
and bring it back in. I got the wheels from Harbor Fright, an axle
from Lowes and the rest is scrap. The planer is fastened down with
lag bolts. Pictures in ABPW.
--
GW Ross

My planer is mounted on top of a cabinet with drawers. Holds lots of stuff in the cabinet. Your planer is mounted on a cart that you roll outside. It is permanently mounted on the cart. Or do you take it off the cart and put it on a shelf and fold the cart up? Sounds like its permanently mounted to the cart. So I don't understand how you are saving space because the cart takes up space. You permanently mounted the planer to the cart. Why don't you just say you put your planer on a cart and roll the cart around the shop and outside too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

The building that my shop is in has two parts. One part is my shop.
the other part holds lawn equipment, chainsaws, Wood rack, mower,
edger, chipper-shredder and such. That is where the planer also
lives. It is jam-packed in there and no way it could be used there to
plane lumber. The shop part is pretty well filled with stuff I use
regularly. The planer is seldom used. So it is stored where it is
out of the way.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 18:48:03 -0400
"G. Ross" wrote:

The only sound-proofing I need is the ear protectors. All my
neighbors work during the day. Hey-hey. I'm retired. Or maybe it

got me thinking

my planer is a cheap one but it works but it just has a straight blade

wondering if a spiral or helical blade is quieter

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:13:35 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 18:48:03 -0400
"G. Ross" wrote:

The only sound-proofing I need is the ear protectors. All my
neighbors work during the day. Hey-hey. I'm retired. Or maybe it

got me thinking

my planer is a cheap one but it works but it just has a straight blade

wondering if a spiral or helical blade is quieter

sounds like the root of your noise issue is that you have a cheap planer with a straight blade...Normally they have either 2 or 3...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:57:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

No need for space for infeed and outfeed when it's not in use. I do
the same, though I have on of these (older model, it seems) for mine.
The extensions work really well for in and outfeed.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...s-t4b-31897-p/