Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Selling A House With A Shop - Leave It For Showing Or Empty It?

My neighbor is selling his house. He has a wood shop in his basement, maybe
15 x 25. Table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, a couple of workbenches, etc.
The shop is at ground level, with a door to the back yard. Some pretty nice
stuff has come out that shop.

The rest of the basement is unfinished, basically one large room with the
furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and some storage shelves. Oh yeah,
there's a shower stall bathroom in the corner. The basement can be accessed
by stairs from the kitchen or through the shop. They are 2 separate spaces.
It's sloped lot, allowing for a walk-out basement in the rear for the shop.

His realtor has told him that he should empty the shop before showing the
house, so he has moved all of his equipment and material to storage until
his new house is ready.

What are your thoughts? Would you have left the shop as staging or emptied
the room like the realtor suggested? I know we are biased, so maybe we aren't
the right people to ask. ;-) If staging bedrooms and kitchens is all the
rage these days, why not stage a shop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 9:20:31 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The rule is empty because it looks bigger and the buyer imagines all his or her stuff in there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2017 9:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If you have a place to move the equipment to, move it out. As hard as
this is to believe, not every man is a "He-man" and he may not, if he
even has any say in the matter, care to see wood working equipment. ;~)
An empty room just looks bigger and uncluttered, that is what the
realtor and perspective buyers want to see for a storage area.
Basically the area is not only intended to be a shop and a perspective
buyer may see it as only a room intended to be a shop if it is filled
with equipment. If the room is empty the buyer can see it as any thing
he or she wants it to be.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 10:26:15 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
[...]

That's not the "rule" we're following as we get my dad's house ready to show.

The realtor has a "stager" on staff that went through the house and told
us what to leave. Beds, a dresser, a small desk in a room that could be an
office, etc. They even have air mattresses, bed frames and other items that
they can set up if you can't leave your own stuff.

DAGS 'staging a house for showing'
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 07:34:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Which raises the question, is a shop different? I'd think that if
it's cramped with power tools, thin them out so it appears there is
room to work. Leave some tools and display them nicely, if possible,
but in all cases, "de-junkify".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 09:28:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

Even though some may not be "He-men" (do you know any?-), most see
themselves that way. Even though they may not be avid woodworkers
most would like some sort of place to get away. Home maintenance does
take some space, too.

An empty room just looks bigger and uncluttered, that is what the
realtor and perspective buyers want to see for a storage area.
Basically the area is not only intended to be a shop and a perspective
buyer may see it as only a room intended to be a shop if it is filled
with equipment. If the room is empty the buyer can see it as any thing
he or she wants it to be.

Filled, no. Used, yes. People really do want to see "lived-in"
spaces. There is a whole home "staging" industry for a reason.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2017 10:34 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The rule is empty because it looks bigger and the buyer imagines all his or her stuff in there.

That's not the "rule" we're following as we get my dad's house ready to show.

The realtor has a "stager" on staff that went through the house and told
us what to leave. Beds, a dresser, a small desk in a room that could be an
office, etc. They even have air mattresses, bed frames and other items that
they can set up if you can't leave your own stuff.

DAGS 'staging a house for showing'

Sure, leave the small desk, but get rid of the 6 extra chairs, floor
lamp, beer cooler, drum set, exercise bike, laundry basket and
overflowing magazine rack.

Small stuff makes the room seem big and the desk is a good idea for the
unimaginative that come through. Staging can make a difference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

As others said, empty the shop. From your description it sounds like this house could have a finished basement. Many potential buyers would see the basement finished if it was empty for them to imagine. But if filled with shop equipment, and used for a specific purpose, its harder for them to imagine all that gone and the room finished into living space. Unfinished basements are also storage space to many people. If empty, its easy to see it as storage space. Also consider that half the people looking at the house will be women. Assuming couples buy the house. By showing it as a shop for a man, you are automatically causing half the people looking at the house to instantly be deprived of ever using that basement. When selling things its not good to make half the buyers happy, man shop, and half the buyers filled with rage and hate for the place, women who cannot ever use the space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

My son just sold his house. They were advised to move out completely
and clean it up, of course. It sold in less than 24 hours.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2017 10:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I hate these empty your house to show it. The HGTV shows have created
that mentality. Again where TV winds up becoming reality. I would have
left it.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/17 9:26 AM, Michael wrote:
[...]

What he said.
A room full of big power tools just makes the room look small.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/17 9:34 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If you will notice when realtors stage a house they use a minimum amount
of furniture in each room and always the smaller choices of furniture.
You won't see a California King in a 12x16 bedroom.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 3:08:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Did you miss the part of the description that stated that the shop was a separate space from
the "main" basement? 2 separate rooms, with the shop being about 1/3 of the overall basement.
No one was being "deprived of ever using that basement."

BTW 2 of the things that came out if that shop was a brand new kitchen for the wife and a
bedroom set for both of them. She made out just fine.

In addition, you are assuming that all couples are made up of a man and a women.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 7c012f78-f231-4982-a065-d4655ff04f03
@googlegroups.com, says...

[...]

And that a woman has no use for a shop full of
tools. Paint it all pink and watch the
realtor's head explode.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2017 12:50 PM, wrote:
[...]

Did you not see my tongue in my cheek? ;!)

An empty room just looks bigger and uncluttered, that is what the
realtor and perspective buyers want to see for a storage area.
Basically the area is not only intended to be a shop and a perspective
buyer may see it as only a room intended to be a shop if it is filled
with equipment. If the room is empty the buyer can see it as any thing
he or she wants it to be.

Filled, no. Used, yes. People really do want to see "lived-in"
spaces. There is a whole home "staging" industry for a reason.

Understood and why I specifically mentioned "storage area" and not a
specific room in the house, like a bedroom, living room, dining room,
etc. An unmodified basement it typically storage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 12:08:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Myn kid sister would KILL for a shop she could use year round,
without having to leave the house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 15:24:28 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/1/17 9:26 AM, Michael wrote:
[...]

Unless the room really IS big enough to be used effectively as a
shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 15:26:45 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

[...]

In a lot of cases a 12X16 is a BIG bedroom!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 15:19:03 -0400, "G. Ross"

[...]

Obviously, his price was too low. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sure they can. They use it to get rid of him!

Our basement is about 2500 ft^2 of unfinished space but it wouldn't
take much to finish it (I'm considering whether to sheetrock all the
walls this year but I doubt I'll get it past the finance committee).
No one would use it all for storage space, though I'm sure few would
use half of it for shop space, either. Were I to sell the house, I
would probably move the big tools out and leave the rest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 16:07:30 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

HGTV has, or at least did have, home staging shows.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 19:33:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/1/2017 12:50 PM, wrote:
[...]

Tough to tell what's serious and what's not, today. ;-)

An empty room just looks bigger and uncluttered, that is what the
realtor and perspective buyers want to see for a storage area.
Basically the area is not only intended to be a shop and a perspective
buyer may see it as only a room intended to be a shop if it is filled
with equipment. If the room is empty the buyer can see it as any thing
he or she wants it to be.

Filled, no. Used, yes. People really do want to see "lived-in"
spaces. There is a whole home "staging" industry for a reason.

Understood and why I specifically mentioned "storage area" and not a
specific room in the house, like a bedroom, living room, dining room,
etc. An unmodified basement it typically storage.

"Unmodified"? You mean "unfinished"? It's all about proportion. If
the space is cramped, it'll look small, no matter what its true size.
If it's bright and open, it won't. Like I said before my ~2500 ft^2
of unfinished basement isn't going to be anyone's "storage space". No
one has that much crap. Well, no one is going to _move_ that much
crap. After 20 years... ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is what you wrote:

"My neighbor is selling his house. He has a wood shop in his basement, maybe
15 x 25. The shop is at ground level, with a door to the back yard. Some pretty nice stuff has come out that shop.

The rest of the basement is unfinished, basically one large room with the
furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and some storage shelves. The basement can be accessed by stairs from the kitchen or through the shop. They are 2 separate spaces. It's sloped lot, allowing for a walk-out basement in the rear for the shop."

The shop is in the basement. And another part of the basement has the furnace, water heater, bathroom, etc. Are there two separate basements? Or is the shop in half the basement and the utilities are in the other half? From your description it sounds like half the basement is shop and the other half is the utility stuff. Sort of similar to my basement. My basement is split into two halves. With a drywall wall. Most of the tools are in one room and the other is sort of empty. By your logic I have two basements. No. I have two rooms that are joined in my basement by a walkway, opening.. The shop space is for the man. Assuming. So by showing it as a shop, she will never ever be able to use that space. Its not hers.

And with the shop being in the walkout portion of the basement you are sort of stating that it cannot be a finished walkout basement. Walkout basements that are finished are desirable. But with the shop in the walkout portion, you are implying the new owner cannot have a finished walkout basement. Its shop space!

BTW 2 of the things that came out if that shop was a brand new kitchen for the wife and a
bedroom set for both of them. She made out just fine.

So what? Is the seller donating those to the buyer? And writing a clause into the contract stating that the shop must be kept to forever honor the making of those pieces? I can buy Kelly Mehler's woodworking tools. Doesn't mean I can make furniture like him. The kitchen cabinets are of course being bought with the house. Doubt anyone cares that they were made in the basement. They aren't going to pay extra because of that.

In addition, you are assuming that all couples are made up of a man and a women.

I know gay, trans sexual, homosexual, etc. couples seem to be the norm now days. They are everywhere on TV. But all the people I know have husbands and wives. Man-woman. Don't think I know anyone who is same sex. I would guess 99+% of the people looking at the house will be hetero sexual man-woman couples. Or single people. Man or woman. Not trans, gay, etc. Make the house appealing for the 99%.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 5:36:57 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

I have known one or two or maybe three women in my life. Have yet to meet any that do woodworking or mechanic work. Or yardwork. Or cut firewood. Or dig ditches. Not saying there are not any. There are. But very, very, very, very few. On TV I have seen women play football. Tackle football. In bikinis! Yeah. But I have yet to meet any women who play football. Men, usually young, will play football with each other. Have not seen any women playing football. Except on TV. In bikinis! I'm just guessing the bikinis are important.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is what you wrote:

"My neighbor is selling his house. He has a wood shop in his basement, maybe
15 x 25. The shop is at ground level, with a door to the back yard. Some pretty nice stuff has come out that shop.

The rest of the basement is unfinished, basically one large room with the
furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and some storage shelves. The basement can be accessed by stairs from the kitchen or through the shop. They are 2 separate spaces. It's sloped lot, allowing for a walk-out basement in the rear for the shop."

I see why you are confused. Allow me to clarify what I meant by "They are
2 separate spaces":

The basement is split into 2 areas, separated by a block wall. One area -
the shop - equates to about 1/3 of the basement. The other 2/3 contains the
furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and some storage shelves.

2 separate rooms.

The shop is in the basement. And another part of the basement has the furnace, water heater, bathroom, etc. Are there two separate basements? Or is the shop in half the basement and the utilities are in the other half? From your description it sounds like half the basement is shop and the other half is the utility stuff. Sort of similar to my basement. My basement is split into two halves. With a drywall wall. Most of the tools are in one room and the other is sort of empty. By your logic I have two basements..

I have no idea how "my logic" implies 2 basements, but if that's what you
took from my wording, OK. I hope that I have clarified that issue.

No. I have two rooms that are joined in my basement by a walkway, opening.. The shop space is for the man. Assuming. So by showing it as a shop, she will never ever be able to use that space. Its not hers.

Assuming.

And with the shop being in the walkout portion of the basement you are sort of stating that it cannot be a finished walkout basement. Walkout basements that are finished are desirable. But with the shop in the walkout portion, you are implying the new owner cannot have a finished walkout basement. Its shop space!

How do the current (removable) contents of a room "imply" it's future use?
(Kitchens and bathroom might be considered exceptions)

If I put a desk and bookcase in a 3rd bedroom, are prospective buyers going
to think it's a 2 bedroom house with an office? "Honey, we need a 3rd bedroom,
not an office. Let's go."

If the basement room was a laundry room or storage room would you remove the
appliances or shelves so that the prospective buyer can imagine a "finished walkout basement"?

Shop, storage, laundry room whatever. By your logic, it doesn't matter what
the room is used for, if it's not empty the current owner is "implying the
new owner cannot have a finished walkout basement." That implies that all
prospective buyers are idiots.

BTW 2 of the things that came out if that shop was a brand new kitchen for the wife and a
bedroom set for both of them. She made out just fine.

So what? Is the seller donating those to the buyer? And writing a clause into the contract stating that the shop must be kept to forever honor the making of those pieces? I can buy Kelly Mehler's woodworking tools. Doesn't mean I can make furniture like him. The kitchen cabinets are of course being bought with the house. Doubt anyone cares that they were made in the basement. They aren't going to pay extra because of that.

No one said that anything like that. It was merely an aside to point out that
even though, as you implied, the woman of the house was "deprived" of that
space, she benefited immensely because of what came out of that shop to improve
the home while she lived there and is now about to sell.

They aren't going to pay extra specifically because the cabinets came out
of the basement shop, but they are going to pay extra for the upgraded
kitchen. (Let's not get into comps and pay back, etc. I know the neighborhood
well enough to know that the value of the house has been increased [and that
the increased value will be realized] because of the updated kitchen).

In addition, you are assuming that all couples are made up of a man and a women.

I know gay, trans sexual, homosexual, etc. couples seem to be the norm now days. They are everywhere on TV. But all the people I know have husbands and wives. Man-woman. Don't think I know anyone who is same sex. I would guess 99+% of the people looking at the house will be hetero sexual man-woman couples. Or single people. Man or woman. Not trans, gay, etc. Make the house appealing for the 99%.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 12:44:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I'd like a little more info related to that statement. Just curious...What
do you mean by "known"?

How does one go through life "knowing" only "one or two or maybe three
women"? Heck, your mom counts as one so you don't have too many left to
hit your max of 3.

Do you mean "known" in the biblical sense?

Have yet to meet any that do woodworking or mechanic work. Or yardwork. Or cut firewood. Or dig ditches.

Well, if you've only known 3, that's not surprising.

Drive through my neighborhood sometime. Lots of woman joining their husbands
or partners (if not single) doing all kinds of yard work, stacking wood,
etc. Heck, 1/3 of my lot is comprised of SWMBO's gardens. She does 90% of the
work related to them. I know enough not to intrude unless invited to help.
(BTW I don't feel deprived of those areas)

You know, now that I think about some of your earlier comments, I guess I'm
going to have to rip out all of her gardens before we sell. I may be implying
that the next owners can't have a full lawn or a pool or a patio because of
the current contents of the gardens.

Not saying there are not any. There are. But very, very, very, very few.. On TV I have seen women play football. Tackle football. In bikinis! Yeah. But I have yet to meet any women who play football. Men, usually young, will play football with each other. Have not seen any women playing football. Except on TV. In bikinis! I'm just guessing the bikinis are important.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

I remember a rather attractive young lady dropping by a barn I was working
on and inquiring whether there were any odd pieces of the old structure or
siding available for purchase. On inquiry it turns out that she makes
furniture and likes to use the sort of vintage lumber one occasionally
finds in 200 year old barns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Go check out realty ads, craigslist or Realtor.com, zillow.

The pictures that kill me are when the house is stuffed to the gills,
but the pics are that nice soft focus (blurry). You can tell the
staged ones. My preference when looking at houses, empty my
imagination can fill it.

I doubt anyone has kept statistics that are valid as to which sell
best though, the messy one though are probably last.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2017 7:08 PM, Markem wrote:

Go check out realty ads, craigslist or Realtor.com, zillow.

The pictures that kill me are when the house is stuffed to the gills,
but the pics are that nice soft focus (blurry). You can tell the
staged ones. My preference when looking at houses, empty my
imagination can fill it.

I doubt anyone has kept statistics that are valid as to which sell
best though, the messy one though are probably last.

Most people depends on the money from the sale of their house to use as
downpayment on the new one so they want to sell before moving. If the
house is empty, why? Overpriced? Problem with structure?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 19:24:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/2/2017 7:08 PM, Markem wrote:

Go check out realty ads, craigslist or Realtor.com, zillow.

The pictures that kill me are when the house is stuffed to the gills,
but the pics are that nice soft focus (blurry). You can tell the
staged ones. My preference when looking at houses, empty my
imagination can fill it.

I doubt anyone has kept statistics that are valid as to which sell
best though, the messy one though are probably last.

Most people depends on the money from the sale of their house to use as
downpayment on the new one so they want to sell before moving. If the
house is empty, why? Overpriced? Problem with structure?

The people already moved? I'd expect that a lot of people who move,
are moving out of the area. There is usually a time line for such
life changes. In two of our three moves, the house was empty. The
third was a move into an apartment for a while (I was working a
short-term contract at the time) so left everything in the house
(including SWMBO) until it sold. The first was a "corporate move", so
there wasn't a worry about selling and the last was a more "normal'
move, though we owned both homes for some time (with a year leasing it
"after" the sale).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 20:11:54 -0400, wrote:

[...]

That may happen in some markets - but right now, around here, if a
house doesn't sell in a week it is either in bad - and I mean REAL bad
shape, or VERY over-priced - or both.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/2/2017 7:08 PM, Markem wrote:

Go check out realty ads, craigslist or Realtor.com, zillow.

The pictures that kill me are when the house is stuffed to the
gills, but the pics are that nice soft focus (blurry). You can
tell the staged ones. My preference when looking at houses, empty
my imagination can fill it.

I doubt anyone has kept statistics that are valid as to which
sell best though, the messy one though are probably last.

Most people depends on the money from the sale of their house to
use as downpayment on the new one so they want to sell before
moving. If the house is empty, why? Overpriced? Problem with
structure?

+1 -,or more

Unfortunately, that shows a blatant disregard for recent home values and
trends in the market.
Our last house wasn't anything close to what you'd consider luxury or
high value, but we sold in 3 days and that was only because it took that
long for the bidding war to calm down. The home we bought was on the
market for several hours when we made our offer which was accepted
within a couple days only because it took that long for inspection. The
way the recent housing market is, homes are selling for tens of
thousands more than they were worth only a year ago and they are
selling, not in months, weeks, or day, but hours-- many much higher than
listing.

People in many housing markets can well afford to empty and stage their
homes, move into a hotel for a week, store their belongings in PODS, and
make a profit that will make these expenses seems like peanuts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I think that whether a house sells and how fast depends on the area the
house was located. You count not expect the same price and turn around
in North Carolina, Florida, New York City, and Los Angeles.

We have not been in the market for over 5 years, but watching the house
around us it seems like it is taking between 3 and 6 months, and they
are getting close to their asking price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If it's really that hot, housing is very under priced. Ninety days is
considered "normal". This isn't even the normal peak buying time.

BTW, if I move again, I certainly wouldn't even try to buy a house
after selling. Way too stressful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 22:11:26 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's much more normal and healthy market.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

This whole debate has been over a specific selling trend that caters to
a specific buying trend. You can't say a strategy doesn't work just
because you don't see those trends in your local market. The strategy
works in hot markets and those are the markets in which it is being
used, and used very effectively.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)