Posted to rec.woodworking

Default marquetry and parquetry

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 18:31:12 -0400
Bill wrote:

contains many nice photos, is not too expensive. Getting set up to
actually do the work seems more extensive/expensive than you might
suspect at first guess. I haven't made it that far.

the parquetry that i saw requireed very little in tools materials

small long triangular shaped pieces of different wood species
glue
black paper which is still not known and may be cloth
a wide hand plane to plane a very thin sheet of the glued up pieces
a vise to secure the glued up pieces while planing the veneers

now the boxes that he affixed the veneers are another topic altogether

may need a vice after ruining the glue ups while trying to make the
veneers and having to start all over

Posted to rec.woodworking

contains many nice photos, is not too expensive. Getting set up to
actually do the work seems more extensive/expensive than you might
suspect at first guess. I haven't made it that far.

the parquetry that i saw requireed very little in tools materials
small long triangular shaped pieces of different wood species
glue
black paper which is still not known and may be cloth
a wide hand plane to plane a very thin sheet of the glued up pieces
a vise to secure the glued up pieces while planing the veneers
now the boxes that he affixed the veneers are another topic altogether
may need a vice after ruining the glue ups while trying to make the
veneers and having to start all over

See also - intarsia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intarsia

John T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:

may need a vice

Try prostitution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

contains many nice photos, is not too expensive. Getting set up to
actually do the work seems more extensive/expensive than you might
suspect at first guess. I haven't made it that far.

the parquetry that i saw requireed very little in tools materials

At first glance, nothing in woodworking should require very much in
tools, right? After all, how difficult could it be to attach/fit 2
pieces of wood together? IIRC, the "vacuum bag" (I forget the exact
term for it) and a glue pot will have you over $300 right there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:09:29 -0400
Bill wrote:

At first glance, nothing in woodworking should require very much in
tools, right? After all, how difficult could it be to attach/fit 2
pieces of wood together? IIRC, the "vacuum bag" (I forget the exact
term for it) and a glue pot will have you over $300 right there.

the parquetry i saw used a brush to brush on glue from a bottle and
used string as clamps

wood was the big expense

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:34:41 -0400
wrote:

See also - intarsia.

has a more whimsical feel to it but is nice
have seen some beautiful pieces in this 3d style

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

At first glance, nothing in woodworking should require very much in
tools, right? After all, how difficult could it be to attach/fit 2
pieces of wood together? IIRC, the "vacuum bag" (I forget the exact
term for it) and a glue pot will have you over $300 right there.

the parquetry i saw used a brush to brush on glue from a bottle and
used string as clamps

wood was the big expense

It's a game of artistry and precision. Relatively speaking, the cost of
the wood will seem minuscule. I still recommend the book.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 21:01:08 -0400
Bill wrote:

It's a game of artistry and precision. Relatively speaking, the cost
of the wood will seem minuscule. I still recommend the book.

for someone with skills unlike the master box makers that may be true

but when you have done it for 30 years and made all the mistakes then
wood is the biggest expense