Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Poly question

Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil based poly tends to run to amber.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 11:41:16 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil based poly tends to run to amber.

Water over poly? One way to make sure you have no interaction is to put a coat of Ultra Blond shellac on the Watco, then top with your water based poly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil
based poly tends to run to amber.

Yes if you wait until the Watco is totally cured. At least a month to be
safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 03:32:18 -0700, Dr. Deb wrote:

Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil
based poly tends to run to amber.

Water over poly? One way to make sure you have no interaction is to put
a coat of Ultra Blond shellac on the Watco, then top with your water
based poly.

That depends on how much yellowing is too much. I haven't found a
shellac yet that doesn't leave at least a slight yellowing, although with
some it's very slight. Much less than an oil based finish. If that's
acceptable, you're fine to use it. Just be sure it's de-waxed.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2017 11:41 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil based poly tends to run to amber.

IIRC Watco is oil based?

You "may" already have all the yellow you are going to get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 12:41:16 AM UTC-4, Gramps' shop wrote:
Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil based poly tends to run to amber.

I've had limited success in this instance by sticking with the Oil-- but using General Finish's Wipe-on Poly instead of a full poly. Especially since the wood already has protection from the Watco, you may be satisfied with a lighter-durability clear coat.

This is not my usual technique, only when I REALLY want to limit the yellowing and still prefer the oil for one reason or another. (Oh, who am I kidding...I always prefer the oil, for all the known reasons!)

Hope that helps.

Question on mixing stains w/poly [email protected] Woodworking 3 September 28th 06 07:47 PM
Water base Poly question Lane Woodworking 9 May 25th 05 08:36 PM
Indesit WG924G poly v-belt question B S Smith UK diy 0 March 11th 05 01:49 PM
Poly Question Smokey Woodworking 5 January 6th 05 11:34 PM
Poly question B a r r y B u r k e J r . Woodworking 2 July 11th 03 02:15 PM