Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chuck removal

I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-807055-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jacqueline Fauria m wrote:

I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

Grip the chuck with vise grips or a pipe wrench and whack it with a whammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItbfakGEBG4

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-6, Jacqueline Fauria wrote:
I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-807055-.htm

Some chucks have a screw in the bottom of them, and it can be either a left hand (usually) or right hand thread. If its there, remove it, of course. Then put your key in the adjustment home, clamping it in place, and hit it with a hammer to loosen the chuck and drive it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-6, Jacqueline Fauria wrote:
I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-807055-.htm

Some chucks have a screw in the bottom of them, and it can be either a left hand (usually) or right hand thread. If its there, remove it, of course. Then put your key in the adjustment home, clamping it in place, and hit it with a hammer to loosen the chuck and drive it out.

Dewalt DW106 is keyless, there is no "adjustment home" (hole?)
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ima..._TYPE_2_WW.gif

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/17 9:44 PM, Jacqueline Fauria wrote:
I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the
chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I
get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

Not sure what the problem is, but don't forget that many (most) chucks
are retained with a left hand threaded screw (clockwise to loosen)

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 8:44:05 PM UTC-8, Jacqueline Fauria wrote:
I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

Biggest Allen wrench you have, and then jam in shims where the jaws
are loose?

That model is reversing, so it DOES have a (probably left-hand) screw that
will have to come out first; with jaws open, you can get to it, fortunately.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-6, Jacqueline Fauria wrote:
I need to replace the chuck on my dewalt dw106 type 1 drill but the chuck is
stuck in the full open position. That's why it needs replaced. How can I get
the pieces apart if I can't tighten an Allen wrench down in it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-807055-.htm

I have seen were the screw inside the chuck has come loose and causes the chuck to jamb. Try to tighten it first.

Jacobs Chuck Removal - What is plan B?? Bud Metalworking 6 June 3rd 08 06:03 PM
Delta 17-900 chuck removal Jim Bailey Woodworking 2 July 31st 07 05:21 PM
drill chuck removal Tim W Woodworking 5 February 22nd 07 04:19 AM
Drill chuck removal David Busby Woodworking 2 October 8th 05 08:16 PM
Keyless chuck removal Al Woodworking 6 September 6th 04 08:11 PM