Posted to rec.woodworking

Default confessions of a small engine hitman

Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

It is about the consumer
having enough information to make informed choices. You may
discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read
the notice. Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for
your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it
in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere
else.

None of my newer stuff has had a
problem with "stale gas" either. Two John Deer tractors and a snow
blower bought in the last 5 years and no problems whatsoever.

Wow. Proof by single ancecote. Damn, I gotta get one of those
tractors now.

BTW - I'm not a big fan of Houston, particularly in the summer,
but your ignorance of the rest of the country is appalling.

FWIW: As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-24652.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

The trouble is that according to the state of
californica just about every substance known to
man is "known to the medical world to cause or
influence the progression of cancer or ther
adverse conditions".

I mean in the real world how many people have
gotten cancer from electrical cords?

It is about the consumer
having enough information to make informed choices. You may
discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read
the notice. Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for
your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it
in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere
else.

When everything you see has a warning label on
it, the warning label no longer provides
information.

None of my newer stuff has had a
problem with "stale gas" either. Two John Deer tractors and a snow
blower bought in the last 5 years and no problems whatsoever.

Wow. Proof by single ancecote. Damn, I gotta get one of those
tractors now.

BTW - I'm not a big fan of Houston, particularly in the summer,
but your ignorance of the rest of the country is appalling.

FWIW: As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-24652.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

*snip*

When everything you see has a warning label on
it, the warning label no longer provides
information.

*snip*

I can't recall if it was a joke or an actual happenstance, but I seem to
recall something where warning labels were recalled because they
contained products known to the state of California to cause cancer or
other reproductive harm.

I do remember certain gel candles were recalled because they would catch
on fire.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 58d1bafc$0$57961$c3e8da3$c8b7d2e6
@news.astraweb.com, Puckdropper says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

*snip*

When everything you see has a warning label on
it, the warning label no longer provides
information.

*snip*

I can't recall if it was a joke or an actual happenstance, but I seem to
recall something where warning labels were recalled because they
contained products known to the state of California to cause cancer or
other reproductive harm.

I do remember certain gel candles were recalled because they would catch
on fire.

Puckdropper

My favorite is the packages of peanuts, clearly
labeled as such, that in addition to the label,
say say "WARNING: Contains peanuts".
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" writes:
In article ,
says...

Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

The trouble is that according to the state of
californica just about every substance known to
man is "known to the medical world to cause or
influence the progression of cancer or ther
adverse conditions".

I mean in the real world how many people have
gotten cancer from electrical cords?

In over thirty years living in California, I've never seen
an electrical cord with a prop 65 notice. I have seen
brass plumbing fittings which are alloyed with lead marked
with the prop 65 notice.

It is about the consumer
having enough information to make informed choices. You may
discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read
the notice. Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for
your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it
in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere
else.

When everything you see has a warning label on
it, the warning label no longer provides
information.

See, here is where your logic fails, since everything
_doesn't_ have a warning label.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2017 1:06 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 3/20/2017 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/20/2017 4:45 PM, Jack wrote:

Well, anything over 300,000 is considered large.

Maybe to you. I grew up in corpus Christi, Tx. I consider it a
small place, 305,000.

Not to me, the National league of Cities.

Leon did, indeed, qualify his statement. He made no claims about
either you, or the National League of Cities.

Perhaps you missed where he said "Maybe to you" I simply clarified it
was not my claim, it was the National League of Cities claim. According
to them, any city over 300,000 is a very, very large city.

You want to argue that, you can tell them.

I don't believe Leon indicated any desire to argue the topic with
anyone, much less the National League of Cities.

By disagreeing with my statement he is in reality arguing with me. I
simply pointed out it was the opinion of the National League of Cities
he was arguing with, not me.

That is why we have the special fuels that don't last.

A great reason to not live in Houston Metro. If my gas suddenly started
to go bad like it used to in the 1920's, I'd be looking for some

What relevence do the 1920's have in this context? Not even you
were driving then.

Fuel went bad in the early days. Since then, refineries have developed
methods to keep fuel from going bad so quickly. I know this from 1st
hand experience, and from my brother, who worked in a research lab for
Gulf Oil as a Chemical engineer. No need to drive cars in the 1920's to
have a clue.

explanations from someone. Is everything in Texas this backward?

What's your problem? There are many places in the country that require
special fuel blends for various reasons (climate, smog abatement, politics, et
alia).

I don't have a problem, my engines have been running like a top with no
stabilizer whatsoever for over 60 years. How about your's?

Perhaps all the chemical plants are affecting judgement?

Or perhaps you simply don't understand the problem and the current
set of solutions.

Right, I'm not a chemical engineer in a major oil companies lab. My
brother was, and he uses no stabilizer in his engines w/o a problem.

Would seem to me that if adding stabilizers to fuel fixed the problem,
then why on earth would the refractories not do it for you, like they
have been doing for us for over 50 years?

You do realize, I'm sure, that you are posting in a thread which is
discussing the long-term storage of gasoline motor fuels, right?

Welp, Honda apparently thinks anything over a month old requires adding
stabilizer. If your fuel goes bad in a month, I'd say you are storing
it out doors in the rain without a lid...

Why
would the refineries want to spend to add an additive to all gasoline when the
by far vast majority of it is burned up with a few days of refining?

I dunno, ask them, they have been putting additives in fuel for a very,
very long time. If one company sold fuel that lasted a month before
gumming up your engine, and another fuel that lasted a year, at the same
price, what do you think would happen in a competitive economy?

At any rate, just because Houston has problems, doesn't mean the rest of
the country does.

But it does.

But it doesn't.

Look at any large metro area, whether it is the NYC area,
Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Los Angeles or the SF bay area - all of which
use fuel blends designed to reduce smog.

As I'm sure Pgh. also does. It is after all, a "large" city with a
history of pollution. So what? Are you saying because areas have
pollution, refineries quit adding additives to fuel to make it last more
than a month? If so, what evidence do you have of that? I have 60+
years of experience that says it ain't so in my "very large", polluted
city. You have a silly ass manual written by a marketing/lawyer team at
Honda with no empirical evidence, which holds as much weight as a cancer
warning on a plastic flashlight in California...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2017 1:17 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

Like if I eat my plastic flashlight I might eventually develop cancer?

It is about the consumer
having enough information to make informed choices.

No, it's about hand wringing fools assuming stupid stuff, and plastering
dire warnings on everything in site.

You may
discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read
the notice.

The problem of course is after a few million stupid, misleading warning
labels, no one pays any attention to them, so if one is actually true,
it is ignored.

Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for
your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it
in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere
else.

WTF are you going on about? 60+ years of not using stabilizer w/o a
problem to using lead pipes in our drinking water... Have you gone off
your meds?

None of my newer stuff has had a
problem with "stale gas" either. Two John Deer tractors and a snow
blower bought in the last 5 years and no problems whatsoever.

Wow. Proof by single ancecote. Damn, I gotta get one of those
tractors now.

16 plus small engines over 60 years w/o stabilizer, 3 rather new, w/o
nary a problem is hardly a single anecdote.

BTW - I'm not a big fan of Houston, particularly in the summer,
but your ignorance of the rest of the country is appalling.

I didn't know I was discussing the rest of country, other than where I
live and what I looked up regarding the population of Pgh and Houston.
California's stupid warning labels is common knowledge to about everyone
on earth.

FWIW: As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-24652.html

We were talking about gas from a month old (Honda) to 2 years old.
Nobody said anything about 40 year old gas. Mostly gas left to winter
over in a small engines. I've gone a few years in 2 cycle gas for weed
wacker and chainsaws. Making no claims about 30-40 year old gas...
Well, yeah, if you are going to put stabilizer in your gas, make sure it
doesn't dry up and turn into a gummy mess. I mentioned earlier that a
guy gave my brother an old snow blower that he had stored with
stabilizer in it, and it wouldn't run. Had to tear down the carburetor
and clean out the gummy mess.

So, the only time in over 60 years we had a problem with gas, was when
someone had put stabilizer in it. THAT is perhaps anecdotal, but true
nonetheless.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 3/20/2017 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/20/2017 4:45 PM, Jack wrote:

Well, anything over 300,000 is considered large.

Maybe to you. I grew up in corpus Christi, Tx. I consider it a
small place, 305,000.

Not to me, the National league of Cities.

Leon did, indeed, qualify his statement. He made no claims about
either you, or the National League of Cities.

Perhaps you missed where he said "Maybe to you" I simply clarified it
was not my claim, it was the National League of Cities claim. According
to them, any city over 300,000 is a very, very large city.

If any city over 300K is sited as a very, very large city.... Houston
should be classified as a very very very very very very very very very
very very very large state.

[...]

If that is true, you should sell them, I am sure the manufacturers would
want them back to see why they last that long. You could get millions
of dollars for the rare specimens.

Perhaps all the chemical plants are affecting judgement?

Or perhaps you simply don't understand the problem and the current
set of solutions.

Right, I'm not a chemical engineer in a major oil companies lab. My
brother was, and he uses no stabilizer in his engines w/o a problem.

I bet you brother would be better at explaining, to you, why stabilizers
are need for most all small engines that are used in very very very very
very very very very very very very very large states.

Would seem to me that if adding stabilizers to fuel fixed the problem,
then why on earth would the refractories not do it for you, like they
have been doing for us for over 50 years?

You do realize, I'm sure, that you are posting in a thread which is
discussing the long-term storage of gasoline motor fuels, right?

Welp, Honda apparently thinks anything over a month old requires adding
stabilizer. If your fuel goes bad in a month, I'd say you are storing
it out doors in the rain without a lid...

Honda, Stihl. Brigs & Strattem. Echo, Toro, Kawasaki, Milwaukee
Robinson, just to name a few.

Why
would the refineries want to spend to add an additive to all gasoline
when the
by far vast majority of it is burned up with a few days of refining?

I dunno, ask them, they have been putting additives in fuel for a very,
very long time. If one company sold fuel that lasted a month before
gumming up your engine, and another fuel that lasted a year, at the same
price, what do you think would happen in a competitive economy?

At any rate, just because Houston has problems, doesn't mean the rest of
the country does.

But it does.

But it doesn't.

Jack you live in a relatively small area that does not have chronic
pollution caused by gasoline engines. You are just being belligerent at
this point. I suggest you do some research on your own as you don't
believe 99% of anything that differs from you "Opinion".

Look at any large metro area, whether it is the NYC area,
Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Los Angeles or the SF bay area - all of which
use fuel blends designed to reduce smog.

As I'm sure Pgh. also does. It is after all, a "large" city with a
history of pollution.

I think I clarified that this if pollution caused by vehicles.

So what? Are you saying because areas have
pollution, refineries quit adding additives to fuel to make it last more
than a month? If so, what evidence do you have of that? I have 60+
years of experience that says it ain't so in my "very large", polluted
city. You have a silly ass manual written by a marketing/lawyer team at
Honda with no empirical evidence, which holds as much weight as a cancer
warning on a plastic flashlight in California...

Now you are just being stupid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

Like if I eat my plastic flashlight I might eventually develop cancer?

Go ahead and eat it. I don't give a **** what you do. I do wish
to have all the information available to me so I can make an informed
choice.

Please cite a flashlight that comes with a prop 65
warning. If you can, which I find unlikely, you'll find that, just
perhaps, the plastic may contain Bisphenol A.

From the Mayo Clinic:

"Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages
from containers that are made with BPA. Exposure to BPA is a concern
because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and
prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children. Additional research
suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure."

It is about the consumer
having enough information to make informed choices.

No, it's about hand wringing fools assuming stupid stuff, and plastering
dire warnings on everything in site.

I can cite a site that is quite a sight.

You may
discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read
the notice.

The problem of course is after a few million stupid, misleading warning
labels, no one pays any attention to them, so if one is actually true,
it is ignored.

Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for
your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it
in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere
else.

WTF are you going on about?

You're the one that brought up prop 65.

16 plus small engines over 60 years w/o stabilizer, 3 rather new, w/o
nary a problem is hardly a single anecdote.

Actually, it is by definition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 3/20/2017 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/20/2017 4:45 PM, Jack wrote:

Well, anything over 300,000 is considered large.

Maybe to you. I grew up in corpus Christi, Tx. I consider it a
small place, 305,000.

Not to me, the National league of Cities.

Leon did, indeed, qualify his statement. He made no claims about
either you, or the National League of Cities.

Perhaps you missed where he said "Maybe to you" I simply clarified it
was not my claim, it was the National League of Cities claim. According
to them, any city over 300,000 is a very, very large city.

If any city over 300K is sited as a very, very large city.... Houston
should be classified as a very very very very very very very very very
very very very large state.

Again, you want to argue with National League of cities be my guest. I
simply repeated their claim, and gave the link so you can argue all you
want.

[...]

Please do tell? We would be more than happy to sell any of our old
equipment that still runs like a top w/o stabilizers to anyone that
wishes to part with the millions you so flippantly speak of.

[...]

I never doubted they didn't warn to use stabilizer for gas over a month
old, I just stated in my experience it was hogwash.

[...]

Not my opinion, my 60+ years of first hand experience. I don't doubt
Houston could be so polluted that gas can't live there more than a
month, or that Houston gas has had to put crap in the gas that causes it
to rot in a month or so unless the buyer puts in additives that makes it
last and last. I'm just really, really, really, really skeptical.

Look at any large metro area, whether it is the NYC area,
Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Los Angeles or the SF bay area - all of which
use fuel blends designed to reduce smog.

As I'm sure Pgh. also does. It is after all, a "large" city with a
history of pollution.

I think I clarified that this if pollution caused by vehicles.

So what? Are you saying because areas have
pollution, refineries quit adding additives to fuel to make it last more
than a month? If so, what evidence do you have of that? I have 60+
years of experience that says it ain't so in my "very large", polluted
city. You have a silly ass manual written by a marketing/lawyer team at
Honda with no empirical evidence, which holds as much weight as a cancer
warning on a plastic flashlight in California...

Now you are just being stupid.

So you have zero information regarding refineries no longer adding
additives to make fuel last more than a month, requiring users to add
such stuff? Who'd thunk.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

Like if I eat my plastic flashlight I might eventually develop cancer?

Go ahead and eat it. I don't give a **** what you do. I do wish
to have all the information available to me so I can make an informed
choice.

Please cite a flashlight that comes with a prop 65
warning.

Can't, I never heard of prop 65. I, thankfully, don't live in the land
of fruits and nuts.

If you can, which I find unlikely, you'll find that, just
perhaps, the plastic may contain Bisphenol A.

Regardless of what it contains, I had no plans on eating a flashlight.

From the Mayo Clinic:

[...]

Never bought up prop 65, don't even know, or want to know what it is.

16 plus small engines over 60 years w/o stabilizer, 3 rather new, w/o
nary a problem is hardly a single anecdote.

Actually, it is by definition.

I guess it depends on what your definition of is is, or it is, or
something equally ridiculous...

Could it be you ignored the warnings of eating too much lead?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:16:38 -0700
Electric Comet wrote:

only have two gas powered tools and apparently i do not follow best
practices when i expect not to use them for 3 months or so

also seems that i used gas oil mix for two strokes in the four stroke
so maybe that has created the problem

might explain the greenish buildup i found in the carb float

found a fellow online that separates the ethanol out since his goldwing
does not like ethanol

seems like a lot trouble to go to though

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:11:05 -0400, Jack wrote:

Regardless of what it contains, I had no plans on eating a flashlight.

One where the plastic is made from corn starch, with the right spicing
might be edible!

"It's a joke son" to quote Foghorn Leghorn.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

only have two gas powered tools and apparently i do not follow best
practices when i expect not to use them for 3 months or so

also seems that i used gas oil mix for two strokes in the four stroke
so maybe that has created the problem

might explain the greenish buildup i found in the carb float

found a fellow online that separates the ethanol out since his goldwing
does not like ethanol

seems like a lot trouble to go to though

As is replacing all the fuel lines made of rubber and rebuilding the
carburetion system with gaskets that are good with alcohol, otherwise
the gas just leaks out all over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 13:33:11 -0500
Markem wrote:

As is replacing all the fuel lines made of rubber and rebuilding the
carburetion system with gaskets that are good with alcohol, otherwise
the gas just leaks out all over.

for a motorcycle what choice do you have

you have to burn ethanol fuel since that is all there is now with some
scattered places offering ethanol-free

and further it is hard to confirm ethanol-free

maybe avgas would do

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" writes:
In article ,
says...

Jack writes:

Yeah, and California has statements cancer warnings plastered on
everything. Doesn't make it true.

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause
or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

The trouble is that according to the state of
californica just about every substance known to
man is "known to the medical world to cause or
influence the progression of cancer or ther
adverse conditions".

I mean in the real world how many people have
gotten cancer from electrical cords?

In over thirty years living in California, I've never seen
an electrical cord with a prop 65 notice. I have seen
brass plumbing fittings which are alloyed with lead marked
with the prop 65 notice.

I've seen them and I don't even live in
California so you must not be paying attention.

Here's an example:
http://s935.photobucket.com/user/Dartmouthmtb/m
edia/cord-made-in-china_zpscb359dc2.gif.html

It is about the consumer
having enough information to make informed choices. You may
discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read
the notice. Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for
your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it
in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere
else.

When everything you see has a warning label on
it, the warning label no longer provides
information.

See, here is where your logic fails, since everything
_doesn't_ have a warning label.

And there's that excessive literal-mindedness
which makes you such an pain in the butt to try
to converse with. You've missed the point
entirely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

As is replacing all the fuel lines made of rubber and rebuilding the
carburetion system with gaskets that are good with alcohol, otherwise
the gas just leaks out all over.

for a motorcycle what choice do you have

Buy alcohol-free gas? AIUI, most premium is (a political thing).

you have to burn ethanol fuel since that is all there is now with some
scattered places offering ethanol-free

It's available all over here. That's what I use in my tools. It's
expensive but not completely outrageous.

and further it is hard to confirm ethanol-free

maybe avgas would do

....and you then real gas is expensive!