Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good buy (I think) on tool cart at Harbor Freight

Tool Cart. In their "fat" sale catalog that came out at the beginning
of this month, the very first coupon on the first page is for the
following unit for $99.99. I never thought I'd own one of these, but
for this price I'll bite (actually, it was not a hard decision after
seeing it in person). It weighs a full 100 pounds, so that comes out to
a buck a pound.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-st...art-61634.html

Caveat: Assembling it takes non-trivial effort, perhaps 2 hours. There
are 3 types of bolts, quite similar, but all of them, along with plenty
of nuts and washers, are conveniently included together in one bag. The
2 handle bolts are similar enough to the others, that I ended up with no
"handle bolts" the first go around.

BTW, for those that don't like Harbor Freight products, I saw the same
unit on Home Depot's web site for $119.99--so you could buy it there
instead! ; )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 19:05:56 -0500, Bill
wrote:

[...]

But the page you point to above has it for $149.99 (compare at
$368.32!). ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/10_ITE...038.1364.jp g
http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/10_ITE...845.0433.JP G
http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/10_ITE...227.1444.pn g
http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/10_ITE...989.3613.jp g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 02:14:46 +0000, Spalted Walt

wrote:

[...]

I didn't doubt that HF had it on sale, somewhere. They always do. I
was just tweaking Bill because $149.99 / $119.99. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I bought the red one at a parking lot sale ~5 yrs ago. Quite heavy
and surprisingly well made. As a matter of fact, mine is over-built
for the limited amount of storage space it provides.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/five-drawer-service-cart-95272.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Leonhardt wrote:
Actually thought about this as a "mobile" sharpening center. Grinders on top, accessories in drawers-roll over to lathe, etc.

Realize that you need to open the top before you can open any of the
drawers. This is probably mainly for security, as the top has a key. I
like its mobility too--and it's can contain many of the small things
that are easy to misplace in a relatively organized and space-efficient
manner. That's what was attractive to me.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 12:25:38 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Bill Leonhardt wrote:
Actually thought about this as a "mobile" sharpening center. Grinders on top, accessories in drawers-roll over to lathe, etc.

Realize that you need to open the top before you can open any of the
drawers. This is probably mainly for security, as the top has a key.

If the locking mechanism is anything like the small three drawer toolbox I bought
at Tractor Supply, it is easily defeated. Closing the top pushes a bar down at
the back of the unit which locks the drawers. If you grind the top of the bar
off, the drawers won't lock. But, and this is big but....

The drawers will open when you move/ tilt the tool box. :-(

If you really want to keep the top closed and use the drawers but also lock
them for security or transport, you could install a "swing arm" system that
hinges on the side and swings in front of the drawers and then locks.

Seems like a lot of work, but it might help adapt the box for a specific purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 23:18:33 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Sales catalog is not the web page.

It sure looked like a web page to me!

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Actually thought about this as a "mobile" sharpening center. Grinders on top, accessories in drawers-roll over to lathe, etc.

HF offers a fold-away shelf for the red cart that could be easily
drilled to fit the the black tool cart.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-ca...ray-62207.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozodEx0NWaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wK7VgXd310#t=299

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 19:05:56 -0500
Bill wrote:

for the following unit for $99.99. I never thought I'd own one of

or 70 more for this

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-8...mbo-63026.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got a couple of those 4 drawer black carts. They are pretty handy.