Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Progress on the Office File Cabinets

I have the cabinets assembled and the drawers are built. Here are a few
shots of the details of how the drawer divider rails fit into the side
dado's along with the slide spacers and slides in place.
AND the parts for the tops of the cabinets. Just a few Domino's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I like this method of indexing the spacing of the divider rails and the
slides using the dado's. A big time saver and pretty much fool proof.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:31:08 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I like this method of indexing the spacing of the divider rails and the
slides using the dado's. A big time saver and pretty much fool proof.

I think you should take an overhead shot of that so that everyone can see how precise your detailing is to get the stiles dadoed to accept the sides. Good stuff!

Are those half-lap corner joints on the drawers or a drawer lock router joint?

As always, I appreciate the thoughtful details of your designs. Old habits over though... I wouldn't be able to keep from putting a triangle into the 90 degree corner at the very top at each corner. I am sure with the top attached it will be completely sturdy.

Are you going to use Dominoes to secure the top to the carcass as well?

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2017 1:18 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:31:08 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I like this method of indexing the spacing of the divider rails and the
slides using the dado's. A big time saver and pretty much fool
proof.

I think you should take an overhead shot of that so that everyone can
see how precise your detailing is to get the stiles dadoed to accept
the sides. Good stuff!

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Are those half-lap corner joints on the drawers or a drawer lock
router joint?

The same as I almost always do, a rabbet joint reinforced with 3
Domino's on each corner, 72 all together for the 6 drawers.

As always, I appreciate the thoughtful details of your designs. Old
habits over though... I wouldn't be able to keep from putting a
triangle into the 90 degree corner at the very top at each corner.

Well something like that. I had some scrap pieces of MDO that fit the spot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I am sure with the top attached it will be completely sturdy.

Are you going to use Dominoes to secure the top to the carcass as
well?

I will be using Domino mortises to form slots in the MDO that is pocket
holed in the top corners. Pocket hole screws, just because of the large
washer heads, will come up through the bottom of the MDO into the bottom
side of the tops. And there will be moldings around the top of the
front and sides of the cabinet just under the top.

Something like this for the slots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2017 9:01 AM, Leon wrote:

Are those half-lap corner joints on the drawers or a drawer lock
router joint?

The same as I almost always do, a rabbet joint reinforced with 3
Domino's on each corner, 72 all together for the 6 drawers.

OOPs Left this out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 9:02:09 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

That's it. I was trying envision how your joinery was coming together when all I could see was part of the overhead profile. I still think you should be running a machine shop...

Seriously, that's some great work, even more so thinking how fast you turn it out.

I will be using Domino mortises to form slots in the MDO that is pocket
holed in the top corners. Pocket hole screws, just because of the large
washer heads, will come up through the bottom of the MDO into the bottom
side of the tops. And there will be moldings around the top of the
front and sides of the cabinet just under the top.

Something like this for the slots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

A picture is worth a thousand words. That really helped me along with your description to understand that you were cutting a small slot only, almost as if you were using a router with a limiter jig. I was was thinking... surely he doesn't love the big green machine enough to cut a /continuous/ mortise across the top. A small slot with the Domino really looks clean, neat, and functional.

As before, good stuff!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2017 11:23 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 9:02:09 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

That's it. I was trying envision how your joinery was coming
together when all I could see was part of the overhead profile. I
still think you should be running a machine shop...

Whut, In my San'entone'ya accent. ;~) Ma'chine chop???

Seriously, that's some great work, even more so thinking how fast you
turn it out.

Thank you. But it goes pretty fast considering that I have probably
built close to a hundred face frames this way in the last 5 years.
there is not much measuring any more so much as referencing my cut list
and the actual thickness of the material that needs to fit into the
dado's and groves.
Once you have drawn it in Sketchup and working out the details you have
already built the project, in your mind, and a lot of the dimensions
remain the same.

Anyway....

I will be using Domino mortises to form slots in the MDO that is
pocket holed in the top corners. Pocket hole screws, just because
of the large washer heads, will come up through the bottom of the
MDO into the bottom side of the tops. And there will be moldings
around the top of the front and sides of the cabinet just under the
top.

Something like this for the slots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

A picture is worth a thousand words. That really helped me along
with your description to understand that you were cutting a small
slot only, almost as if you were using a router with a limiter jig.
I was was thinking... surely he doesn't love the big green machine
enough to cut a /continuous/ mortise across the top. A small slot
with the Domino really looks clean, neat, and functional.

The exception on this project is that the screws will not create any
interference. One the example in the picture the screw head also had to
be countersunk, hence the second larger mortise on top of the smaller
one. I'll just have the smaller one on this project.

As before, good stuff!

Thank you again, Robert!!

Are you playing hookie today? ;~)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 12:58:10 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Excuse me, get it right. If you were to run a machine shop in San Antonio, it would be "uh yeah... sombitch... I guess I grind up a little metal now and then when I get a chance..."

Are you playing hookie today? ;~)

Nah. We had two or three tornadoes touch down here followed by a few inches of heavy rain and wind. Had to field a lot of phone calls for roof inspections, leak calls, etc. I have another client that is suing one of her tenants in a shopping center I do work on, and they needed some updated language in one of my inspection reports to take to their attorneys. Then I found out some of the special match paint I had made for a big repair job didn't match from one room to another... the client forgot to tell me that they had the room repainted some time back, so my paint didn't match exactly and it was never an issue since the other contractor painted the whole room. The house is a little under 13,000 sq ft, and ALL rooms are supposed to be the same color on the walls. So the phone discussion with them was who was to pay for 1) painting the whole room again, not just a wall as planned, or 2) match the paint that didn't match the rest of the house and paint one wall. They are paying me a pretty good chunk of change, so they feel they shouldn't be responsible for any other costs, but my contracts are pretty specific.

I had a headache after a few hours of that, so I thought I would check here to see how the discussion of rusting brake lines and proper labeling and applications of certain lubricants was going.

=^0 ;^)

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2017 7:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's ALWAYS something....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 9:58:21 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

It's ALWAYS something....

I will take annoyingly busy with stuff I don't want to do over the alternative any day!

Robert