Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Under stair storage question

I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms) and shallow tread.
Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.
As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to 3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?
Envisioning pulling out (on gliders or rollers) maybe 2 feet into the room (kitchen), said pullout maybe having storage for a sack of potatoes or some larger pots and pans.
All ideas greatly appreciated!

Note: Existing door opens perpendicular to the run of the staircase. (Door is not on the end of the cavity).

Thank you,
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 8:41 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms) and shallow tread.
Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.
As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to 3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?
Envisioning pulling out (on gliders or rollers) maybe 2 feet into the room (kitchen), said pullout maybe having storage for a sack of potatoes or some larger pots and pans.
All ideas greatly appreciated!

Note: Existing door opens perpendicular to the run of the staircase. (Door is not on the end of the cavity).

Thank you,
Ivan Vegvary

While this does not make use of all of that lower space, I have book
shelves built on the out side section near the floor. That could take
up to 1/3 of that space under there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 9:09 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Sorry, that should have said, I have seen pictures of this. I do not
actually have this.

BUT BUT BUT. If you have a pet, that would be a nice cave if you had a
side entrance and it was sectioned off from the rest of the under stair
storage area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 9:15 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 9:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 8:41 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing
old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic
bedrooms) and shallow tread.

[snip]

While this does not make use of all of that lower space, I have book
shelves built on the out side section near the floor. That could take
up to 1/3 of that space under there.

Sorry, that should have said, I have seen pictures of this. I do not
actually have this.

BUT BUT BUT. If you have a pet, that would be a nice cave if you had a
side entrance and it was sectioned off from the rest of the under stair
storage area.

I recently saw something very similar to that idea used on an episode of
HGTV's "Tiny Homes" where every square inch is used for something. Made
a great spot for a pet that was out of the way.

The other thing that I was thinking about when I read this (we're in a
single level home so I can't play along at home ) would be just a
simple wheeled cart to fill in that space with runners framed into the
area so that it would pull straight out and roll back in as needed. As
Ivan mentioned, it would be great to store bulky items.

Making it blend in might take some work but if one were to install
wainscoting along that wall, the "problem" of seams could literally
disappear.

Meanwhile, if Ivan would merely Google the following words in a simple
Google search (No quotes necessary): roll out storage beneath stairways

he will find plenty of reading material, plans and ideas.

Have fun!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dear Unquestionably Confused,
Your roll-out cart idea is brilliant. I will investigate further.
Thank you!
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/20/2017 9:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 8:41 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing
old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic
bedrooms) and shallow tread.

BUT BUT BUT. If you have a pet, that would be a nice cave if you had a
side entrance and it was sectioned off from the rest of the under stair
storage area.

If something like this were done I'd definitely make it a removable module,
lined with something easily cleaned, so that it doesn't become an impossible
to clean smelly hole under the stairs!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 09:33:09 -0600, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Making it blend in might take some work but if one were to install
wainscoting along that wall, the "problem" of seams could literally
disappear.

Put a bookcase on the outside of it with a frame that overlaps the
opening.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 1:02 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 09:33:09 -0600, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Making it blend in might take some work but if one were to install
wainscoting along that wall, the "problem" of seams could literally
disappear.

Put a bookcase on the outside of it with a frame that overlaps the
opening.

Another good idea which provides somewhat secure storage hideaway.

The possibilities for Ivan are endless. Limited only by his imagination
and the latitude given him by SWMBO! g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 9:15 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 9:09 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Or lots of deeeep drawers.

Making it blend in might take some work but if one were to install
wainscoting along that wall, the "problem" of seams could literally
disappear.

Meanwhile, if Ivan would merely Google the following words in a simple
Google search (No quotes necessary): roll out storage beneath stairways

he will find plenty of reading material, plans and ideas.

Have fun!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanwhile, if Ivan would merely Google the following words in a simple
Google search (No quotes necessary): roll out storage beneath stairways
he will find plenty of reading material, plans and ideas.
Have fun!

Try - google _image_ search "under stair storage" -
- it returns an amazing array of ideas.
A lot depends on intended usage -
- everyday use or seasonal stuff ?
100 pound full extension drawer slides ;
pull-out pantry units ; endless possibilities.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hub, I did search 'under stair storage' in Google and yes, umpteen ideas. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old
stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms)
and shallow tread.

Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same
storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.

As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to
3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage
under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

http://tinyurl.com/h47wzy8
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 5:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old
stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms)
and shallow tread.

Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same
storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.

As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to
3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage
under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

http://tinyurl.com/h47wzy8

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02/20/2017 08:41 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms) and shallow tread.
Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.
As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to 3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?
Envisioning pulling out (on gliders or rollers) maybe 2 feet into the room (kitchen), said pullout maybe having storage for a sack of potatoes or some larger pots and pans.
All ideas greatly appreciated!

Note: Existing door opens perpendicular to the run of the staircase. (Door is not on the end of the cavity).

Thank you,
Ivan Vegvary

I just put the Christmas ornaments at the very end and crawl in- and out once a year.

Be advised that people walking on the stairs throws of a surprising amount of dust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 5:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old
stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms)
and shallow tread.

Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same
storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.

As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to
3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage
under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

http://tinyurl.com/h47wzy8

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)

Is that why you fill your "under the bed" with drawers?

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:00:30 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/20/2017 5:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old
stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms)
and shallow tread.

Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same
storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.

As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to
3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage
under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

http://tinyurl.com/h47wzy8

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)

Not with a captains bet - or even worse - a Murphy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/20/2017 5:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:41:55 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old
stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms)
and shallow tread.

Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same
storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs.

As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to
3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage
under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos?

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

http://tinyurl.com/h47wzy8

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)

Not with a captains bet - or even worse - a Murphy.

A monster could hide under my SIL's Murphy (style) bed:

http://i.imgur.com/n2cM86p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8AlasZn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XjSbmBh.jpg

You can leave a standard PC Monitor on the desk and the bed will still
pull down. With the matching bookcase on the left hand side, (not shown)
the unit just fit into their spare bedroom. Just those inches to spare
on the window wall.

Nice idea, but the bed was a little too high for this short guy. The phrase
"climb into bed" really fit. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:40:37 -0600, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

[...]

Which is why the underside of out basement stairs is covered woth a
heavy vinyl table cloth, stapled to the bottom of the stairs. Keeps
all the dust off what we store there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I've seen a piece of luan serve the same purpose.

I have tar paper covered 1/2 plywood under the 8 treads of the stairs to my deck. Stuff
underneath stays dry.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

'
Hell! Those ain't drawers, they're crypts!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And I've seen drywall used as well - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Good friend has corrugated plastic roofing panel doing the same job -
under the deck as well as the stairs.
To keep it on topic - he uses the area under the stairs to store
fire-wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Not bloomers, or thongs??? or panties? - or mabee even a few bras??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 20:04:13 -0500, G. Ross wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 5:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)

Is that why you fill your "under the bed" with drawers?

*So* much better than finding the monster, then filling the drawers!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have corrugated fiberglass panels under my deck. I installed spacers so that they are
angled for drainage. I've heard that bees can be an issue when enclosing the joists but
in 30 years, it hasn't been an issue.

To keep it on topic - he uses the area under the stairs to store
fire-wood.

I have a large plastic bin of kindling under the deck. There's usually a box of cut-offs or two
under there also. Cut-offs are *really* on topic. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/20/2017 9:51 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2017 7:04 PM, G. Ross wrote:

[snip]

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

http://tinyurl.com/h47wzy8

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)

Is that why you fill your "under the bed" with drawers?
'
Hell! Those ain't drawers, they're crypts!
Not bloomers, or thongs??? or panties? - or mabee even a few bras??

Leon is a lumberjack?

And he's OK.

and I heard that he. . .

.. . .sleeps all night and he works all day.

He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars.

He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

He cuts down trees, he wears high heels?
Suspendies...and a bra?

He wishes he'd been a girlie, just like his dear pappa.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/20/2017 9:51 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Um...yeah...I'm pretty sure we all know the lyrics.

Thanks anyway..