Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steve LaMantia

Any old timers left on The Wreck, and any woodworker who ever heard of Scary Sharp(TM) will know of Steve LaMantia. He was the author of the well known piece, and he had an ubiquitous presence here back in the '90s.

I got a note today from his sister that he had passed away this morning. I checked his Facebook page (we were FB friends) as well as hers, and it appears to be true.

Too young. And too talented a scribe to not be remembered.

I've long had an original Scary Sharp(TM) version on my website and for those who aren't familiar and wish to see it (and about it), here's the URL to my paean:
http://www.WoodButcher.net/scary.shtml

LRod
Master Woodbutcher and Seasoned Termite
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2017 5:16 PM, Master Woodbutcher wrote:
Any old timers left on The Wreck, and any woodworker who ever heard of Scary Sharp(TM) will know of Steve LaMantia. He was the author of the well known piece, and he had an ubiquitous presence here back in the '90s.

I got a note today from his sister that he had passed away this morning. I checked his Facebook page (we were FB friends) as well as hers, and it appears to be true.

Too young. And too talented a scribe to not be remembered.

I've long had an original Scary Sharp(TM) version on my website and for those who aren't familiar and wish to see it (and about it), here's the URL to my paean:
http://www.WoodButcher.net/scary.shtml

LRod
Master Woodbutcher and Seasoned Termite

Sorry to hear that.

Steve and Scary Sharp(TM) were responsible for my learning to use my
grandad's #3, because once I knew how to make it sharp, I could actually
make it work. Which lead to many hours of relaxation in the shop using
(and re-sharpening) the many planes & chisels that I accumulated once I
learned to appreciate the value of a sharp edge.

I think I'll go see if I can count a few nose hairs...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Master Woodbutcher wrote in
:

Any old timers left on The Wreck, and any woodworker who ever heard of
Scary Sharp(TM) will know of Steve LaMantia. He was the author of the
well known piece, and he had an ubiquitous presence here back in the
'90s.

I got a note today from his sister that he had passed away this
morning. I checked his Facebook page (we were FB friends) as well as
hers, and it appears to be true.

Too young. And too talented a scribe to not be remembered.

I've long had an original Scary Sharp(TM) version on my website and
for those who aren't familiar and wish to see it (and about it),
here's the URL to my paean: http://www.WoodButcher.net/scary.shtml

LRod
Master Woodbutcher and Seasoned Termite

LRod!

Haven't seen you around here in a long time! What'd you do pull the old
computer out of mothballs to find us again?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 8:40:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Probably close to twenty years! I can't exactly explain it. Probably just change in focus. I've had up to date computers the whole time. I've been running Linux (Ubuntu) for at least ten years, but that's not why I left. I guess probably the fora that developed on the web with pictures and everything was the draw.

I think about The Wreck now and again, and referenced it liberally when I posted about Steve elsewhere. It's also where I got my Omnijig, and some other stuff as I move them from one location in the shop to another.

Thanks for remembering me.

LRod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20/02/2017 9:16 @wiz, Master Woodbutcher wrote:
Any old timers left on The Wreck, and any woodworker who ever heard of Scary Sharp(TM) will know of Steve LaMantia. He was the author of the well known piece, and he had an ubiquitous presence here back in the '90s.

I got a note today from his sister that he had passed away this morning. I checked his Facebook page (we were FB friends) as well as hers, and it appears to be true.

Too young. And too talented a scribe to not be remembered.

I've long had an original Scary Sharp(TM) version on my website and for those who aren't familiar and wish to see it (and about it), here's the URL to my paean:
http://www.WoodButcher.net/scary.shtml

LRod
Master Woodbutcher and Seasoned Termite

Aye!....
Vale, Steve LaMantia and his Scary Sharp.
I still follow that nowadays, 20 years later.
Without a doubt the best for the old farts who like me chose to stick
with hand tools for their woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Master Woodbutcher wrote:
Any old timers left on The Wreck, and any woodworker who ever heard of Scary Sharp(TM) will know of Steve LaMantia. He was the author of the well known piece, and he had an ubiquitous presence here back in the '90s.

I got a note today from his sister that he had passed away this morning.

Too young. And too talented a scribe to not be remembered.

thanks for the commemoration and the website page.

For Steve B peg board. tiredofspam Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 March 20th 12 10:30 PM
Steve B John B. Metalworking 2 August 15th 11 08:16 PM
Steve B Larry Jaques[_4_] Metalworking 1 August 15th 11 05:17 PM
Steve W Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 1 July 25th 11 11:38 PM
Hey Steve! Dr. Deb Woodturning 0 May 29th 05 04:39 AM