Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Great tool sale going on

Got an ad from CPO outlets a day or two ago, and they have a great deal of their stock at 15% off with free shipping on a lot of it. Certain restrictions apply, see dealer for details, your mileage may vary, not good outside the USA, blah, blah, blah.

My personal experience with CPO has been great, and although they sell reconditioned tools, they sell new as well. They stand behind their products 100%, and are quick about doing so. The only problem I ever had with their product was when UPS (their choice of shipper) smashed the original box, reboxed the saw, then smashed that one as well. After seeing my pics of the saw, CPO reversed the charge on my account without receiving the saw back to their warehouse. They issued an RMA sticker and sent it two day mail, and gave me the the option of repurchasing the saw, even though it was a 24 hour sale when I bought it a week before.

I have bought a DeWalt recip saw, a Milwaukee Sawzall, two brad guns, a framing nailer, a heavy duty hammer drill,saw blades, and all kinds of odds and ends. As a heads up, when they have a recon sale, from time to time they really have some great deals. I don't believe they break down the tools and reassemble them, but all the tools I have bought arrived in "like new" condition. Years ago when CPO was very small, I bought a Milwaukee half sheet sander from them and a giant Milwaukee ROS. After I got them and used them, I had to call back and find out what they did to them since they came unmarked and clean. The operator told me that the pad had to be taken off and the counterweight tightened on the half sheet sander, then reassembled. On the ROS, they had bad triggers at the assembly point. R/R the trigger, then back for sale. The ROS was selling at 30% of the original cost, and the operator told me it was because Milwaukee was discontinuing the sander anyway so the recons were the last of them.

I recently broke the handle on my DeWalt 713 miter saw, so I am going to take the deal of buying a new replacement from them, take the discount and free shipping, and add a couple of things to the box (nail gun oil from them is literally 25% of the cost locally) to pack it full.

CPO isn't always the cheapest and they don't give things away, but they have been a great resource for me, as I said, especially when they have a lot of a certain product they are trying to move.

Hope this does someone some good!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2017 3:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

thnaks! I get an e-mail from CPO about every day. ;~)

Good to know your experience has been good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:42:07 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

thnaks! I get an e-mail from CPO about every day. ;~)

Good to know your experience has been good.

And continues.

Just bought a new DeWalt 10" miter saw to replace one that is going to duty that requires less stringent tolerances. Got $33 bucks off.

Added a couple of things that saved me another $30 from local prices.

Saved another $16 since they don't charge sales tax.

Got free shipping. Estimated delivery day Thu/Fri this week.

Saved $99 this morning. Makes a small businessman smile all day long.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/19/2017 3:51 PM, wrote:
Got an ad from CPO outlets a day or two ago, ...

Had never heard of 'em...will keep in mind altho no needs at moment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

thnaks! I get an e-mail from CPO about every day. ;~)

Good to know your experience has been good.

Leon, I was just going to comment to that affect: How a business'
(mere) knowledge of your email address seems to lead to their assumption
that it is appropriate to contact you by email as often as they like.
In the meantime, thank goodness for filters...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:27:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:42:07 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Just bought a new DeWalt 10" miter saw to replace one that is going to duty that requires less stringent tolerances. Got $33 bucks off.

Added a couple of things that saved me another $30 from local prices.

Saved another $16 since they don't charge sales tax.

Saved $99 this morning. Makes a small businessman smile all day long.

Robert

Yep. Saved $99 by spending $600. That sounds like Trumponomics.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2017 11:27 AM, wrote:

Saved $99 this morning.

Me, too!!

I didn't buy a single thing!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Feb 2017 15:22:25 GMT, notbob wrote:

On 2/20/2017 11:27 AM, wrote:

Saved $99 this morning.

Me, too!!

I didn't buy a single thing!

....but 'm trying! (CC is being declined and I'm on hold with the
bank)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:17:49 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I might add to that, Zoro. I have bought from them a time or two and
have been pleased. I often get an e-mail with a 20~25% discount on
orders of $250+ What I like is that they offer a large variety of
products. While not the least expensive, normally, the 20% off often
works out better.

https://www.zoro.com/

Thanks for that. I have heard of them and even caught an ad or two of theirs but never looked at their site. It's huge! Prices are competitive or better than competitive, but the best thing is they have a lot of hard to find stuff. I spent quite a bit of time looking around there. With the amount of inventory they have in stock they remind me of WW Grainger, except they have much, much better pricing.

Since I use so many consumables and have to replace tools due to wear/theft/neglect/abuse, I am ALWAYS looking for a deal on just about everything. I was really surprised to find and old favorite tape measure on the site that I really like. I thought it was no more, but they have it in stock at an excellent price.

With free shipping over $50, I guarantee I will be hitting that site.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:17:49 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I might add to that, Zoro. I have bought from them a time or two and
have been pleased. I often get an e-mail with a 20~25% discount on
orders of $250+ What I like is that they offer a large variety of
products. While not the least expensive, normally, the 20% off often
works out better.

https://www.zoro.com/
Thanks for that. I have heard of them and even caught an ad or two of theirs but never looked at their site. It's huge! Prices are competitive or better than competitive, but the best thing is they have a lot of hard to find stuff. I spent quite a bit of time looking around there. With the amount of inventory they have in stock they remind me of WW Grainger, except they have much, much better pricing.

I have experienced circumstances where they did not have what I ordered
on stock (despite what their website said), and IIRC this has happened
to Leon too. That said, I have no problems with them at all. Not
elevating one over the other, I can't see how it makes sense to mention
them and Grainger in the same sentence.

Bill

Since I use so many consumables and have to replace tools due to wear/theft/neglect/abuse, I am ALWAYS looking for a deal on just about everything. I was really surprised to find and old favorite tape measure on the site that I really like. I thought it was no more, but they have it in stock at an excellent price.

With free shipping over $50, I guarantee I will be hitting that site.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Not elevating one over the other, I can't see how it makes sense to
mention them and Grainger in the same sentence.

Okay, I went and took a look. I didn't realize Grainger sold woodworking
machinery. Learn something new every day.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2017 1:41 AM, wrote:
[...]

What kind of tape measure do you like?

With free shipping over $50, I guarantee I will be hitting that
site.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2017 3:43 AM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
[...]

No, they always had what I ordered.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-02-26, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

What kind of tape measure do you like?

The kind companies are too cheap to manufacture, anymore.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 9:51:41 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Thank you - sounds like a great sale!

There is a good scroll saw comparison table here that compares the benefits of different scroll saws:

http://bestscrollsaws.com/best-scrol...parison-table/

People may find it helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-02-26, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

What kind of tape measure do you like?

The kind companies are too cheap to manufacture, anymore.

nb

I was just using (a dozen times today) my 12', 1/2" metal tape measure
with "auto-return" and a lock switch. Not as light as my 6' version,
but it still fits in my pocket. What do you seek in a tape measure?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 8:54:45 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

What kind of tape measure do you like?

For framing, form setting, layout and measuring large objects like roofs, this one:

https://www.zoro.com/stanley-tape-me...30/i/G1090503/

This is the one I thought was gone forever. I paid more for these ten years ago than ZORO is charging for them. So for everything else:

https://www.zoro.com/stanley-tape-me...96/i/G2778221/

What I like about both of these tapes are the body style, and they are comfortable in the hand to use. They are much slimmer than today's tapes so they don't have trouble fitting in my nail/tool bags, and unlike the FatMax and all those other rubber clad tennis balls, they carry easily on the belt.

They have a triple riveted hook that stays accurate, the mylar isn't the crap that rolls off in strings after a few months, and they will run out to their full length and rewind with no problems. I put a bit of dry lube on the blade when I think about it and they just seem to keep on going. And I haven't had a spring break in years on any of these tapes with just a bit of care.

The all yellow body 25'is the same as its chrome brother, just no chrome. I like the chrome for outside stuff that requires cleaning the outside of the tape, and the fact that everyone knows it is mine. (All the young guys carry those big rubberized monsters that are accurate to the nearest 1/4".) One last thing that is great on these is that they have a slot cut into the edge of the hook that enables you to put a small nail in a start point, hook the head of the nail in the slot and the hook stays put while you walk off with the tape in your hand to get your measurement.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 11:34:23 PM UTC-6, wrote:

The all yellow body 25'is the same as its chrome brother, just no chrome. I like the chrome for outside stuff that requires cleaning the outside of the tape, and the fact that everyone knows it is mine. (All the young guys carry those big rubberized monsters that are accurate to the nearest 1/4"..) One last thing that is great on these is that they have a slot cut into the edge of the hook that enables you to put a small nail in a start point, hook the head of the nail in the slot and the hook stays put while you walk off with the tape in your hand to get your measurement.

Robert

The link I put up was for the 3/4 X 16 which I use for all kinds of trim work in kitchens, baths, etc. and is in my "trim" bags.

The "everything else tape" was supposed to be this 1" X 25':

https://www.zoro.com/stanley-tape-me...55/i/G3372451/

Both have the unfinished, no big decals, no big rubber parts, etc. to make them to bulky to carry or awkward to use.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I can't fit those newfangled tapes in my tool belt.
My all time favorite was the old Stanley LeverLocks from the 90s.
Can't find them anymore. I'd really love to confiscate some tapes from
newer ones and implant them into my old LeverLocks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-02-27, -MIKE- wrote:

My all time favorite was the old Stanley LeverLocks from the 90s.

.....or even earlier. I was asked what I like. Remember those Stanley
Lever-Locks from the 70's. On 25' Stanley's, they had woodscrew/nail
info (including proper-sized shadow images) on the backside of the
tape fer the first two feet. Particularly handy fer dummies like
myself.

Can't find them anymore. I'd really love to confiscate some tapes from
newer ones and implant them into my old LeverLocks.

I have 2 Stanley 30' Power-Locks (slide-lock) and a re-branded
(True-Value) 30' Power-Lock. Non have the aforementioned screw/nail
info on the back-side of the tape. You might try a Power-Lock tape
inside an old Lever-Lock. The newer Stanley slide-lock Power-Locks
are actually not bad tapes. I'll take one over a Lufkin, any day.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 12:38:45 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I can't fit those newfangled tapes in my tool belt.
My all time favorite was the old Stanley LeverLocks from the 90s.
Can't find them anymore. I'd really love to confiscate some tapes from
newer ones and implant them into my old LeverLocks.

Try the site Leon mentioned. They have more than a few Stanley leverlocks there. I didn't like the leverlocks myself since the were more sensitive to dirt/debris, didn't come in a 1" blade (in their defense, most tapes weren't), and I broke the levers when I dropped them.

Robert