Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tapping wood threads..

... just got a *lot* more expensive.

The taps:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/pr...ategory/tools/

The announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6p5SSUSW4

The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

http://www.pdfbooksworld.com/image/c...68-390x550.jpg

I hope they sell a million sets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2017 9:04 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
.. just got a *lot* more expensive.

The taps:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/pr...ategory/tools/

The announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6p5SSUSW4

The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

http://www.pdfbooksworld.com/image/c...68-390x550.jpg

I hope they sell a million sets.

Go ahead and buy them, I'll continue to use regular metal taps, which
work quite well. I never spin a shank, like he (I'll bet falsely claimed
he did) . The hex shank is a negative. I would rather have a square for
use in regular tap wrench if I decided to hand tap. The shanks are nice
and long. and it looks like a quality tap. But I can buy the highest
quality long reach metal taps for much less.
So I'm sure they'll sell, just not to me.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 02:04:34 +0000 Spalted Walt
wrote:

.. just got a *lot* more expensive.

but only if you buy them

i have watched some of the woodwhisper videos and i get a good laugh at
all his gadgets and gizmos

seems he has a tool for every single task

lean toward the paul sellers style but i bet those folks that like buying
stuff more than making it like the woodwhisper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 22:32:21 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

On 2/14/2017 9:04 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
.. just got a *lot* more expensive.

The taps:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/pr...ategory/tools/

The announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6p5SSUSW4

The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

http://www.pdfbooksworld.com/image/c...68-390x550.jpg

I hope they sell a million sets.

Go ahead and buy them, I'll continue to use regular metal taps, which
work quite well. I never spin a shank, like he (I'll bet falsely claimed
he did) . The hex shank is a negative. I would rather have a square for
use in regular tap wrench if I decided to hand tap. The shanks are nice
and long. and it looks like a quality tap. But I can buy the highest
quality long reach metal taps for much less.
So I'm sure they'll sell, just not to me.

Not to me either, I've found my 20 yr old set of these to be quite
adequate for my occasional needs:

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-piec...set-35407.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2017 9:04 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

I thought that test was interesting, and clever, but it may not tell you
all you need to know.

After I saw one of the Woodsperer's videos about tapping wood, I decided
to give it a try. I had a set of Sixties-era taps that were my Dad's.

If I remember correctly, I did my own test, tapping a 1/4"x20 thread in
some oak and then hitting the bolt with a hammer, and even a hand
sledge. It was remarkable how strong it was. Armed with that
information, I used some tapped holes in a jig I made. Now the jig was
poplar, but it was fully an inch thick, and wouldn't be required to hold
with extreme force.

I found though that after I had tightened and loosened the jig a bunch
of times, the bolt felt looser in the threads. I think I could have
stripped them if I tightened the bolt to my usual "tighter than
necessary" degree.

I think I'll still make use of some wood threads from time to time, but
if the application is going to require frequent loosening and
tightening, I'll use another method.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:41:51 -0500
Greg Guarino wrote:

I think I'll still make use of some wood threads from time to time,
but if the application is going to require frequent loosening and
tightening, I'll use another method.

that is the other thing

not sure i have seen threads in wood very often except in whimsical
forms or artistic forms

croquet mallets come to mind but that is not a good solution
and prefer a tapered shaft and glue

for kid toys it seems fine

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:05:15 -0800, Electric Comet wrote:

not sure i have seen threads in wood very often except in whimsical
forms or artistic forms

I made wooden vise screws (1.5" diameter) and nuts for a workbench 15-20
years ago. It was cheaper than buying a metal vise. I've since replaced
the front vise with a metal one, but the 2 end vises (lined up with the
dogholes) are still in use and working fine.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:16:40 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I made wooden vise screws (1.5" diameter) and nuts for a workbench
15-20 years ago. It was cheaper than buying a metal vise. I've
since replaced the front vise with a metal one, but the 2 end vises
(lined up with the dogholes) are still in use and working fine.

good example

have seen some real nice vices with wooden threads

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2017 4:41 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

It depends on the wood. I use soft wax when tapping wood. it helps avoid
tearing the fibers, and seems to cut them better.

But yes, metal against wood will eventually wear down.
Crappy metal threads more so then smooth threads, so the quality of the
screw makes a difference.

I have been doing threads for years w/ no problems. I find it easier
than inserts which I find to lift a dimple around the insert too many
times. Even when pushing down hard in a drill press to keep the insert
in straight and manually tapping it by hand in the drill press (belt
off). I still use inserts too, so no hard rules.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I made wooden vise screws (1.5" diameter) and nuts for a workbench
15-20 years ago. It was cheaper than buying a metal vise. I've
since replaced the front vise with a metal one, but the 2 end vises
(lined up with the dogholes) are still in use and working fine.

good example

have seen some real nice vices with wooden threads

the threads used in wood vices are typically a much coarser thread, similar to ACME...If I understand correctly the tapping that is being discussed is national coarse thread, ie 1/2-13, 1/4-20, etc, but please correct me if I am wrong...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
news
[...]

They can be greatly hardened/strengthened by applying super glue to the
threads then re-tapping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I made wooden vise screws (1.5" diameter) and nuts for a workbench
15-20 years ago. It was cheaper than buying a metal vise. I've
since replaced the front vise with a metal one, but the 2 end vises
(lined up with the dogholes) are still in use and working fine.

good example

have seen some real nice vices with wooden threads

the threads used in wood vices are typically a much coarser thread, similar to ACME...If I understand correctly the tapping that is being discussed is national coarse thread, ie 1/2-13, 1/4-20, etc, but please correct me if I am wrong...

and of course, coffee had not kicked in, or I would have corrected the spelling to "vises"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2017 10:32 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/14/2017 9:04 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
.. just got a *lot* more expensive.

The taps:
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/pr...ategory/tools/

The announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6p5SSUSW4

The Testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-CmUvIsjg

http://www.pdfbooksworld.com/image/c...68-390x550.jpg

I hope they sell a million sets.

Go ahead and buy them, I'll continue to use regular metal taps, which
work quite well. I never spin a shank, like he (I'll bet falsely claimed
he did) . The hex shank is a negative. I would rather have a square for
use in regular tap wrench if I decided to hand tap. The shanks are nice
and long. and it looks like a quality tap. But I can buy the highest
quality long reach metal taps for much less.
So I'm sure they'll sell, just not to me.

Me neither. It was relatively recently in my woodworking "career" that
I discovered how strong wood could hold up with regular machine screw
threads. I had read about it, but didn't fully believe it until I tried
it. I think they often work better than threaded inserts they sell at
the borgs.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2017 9:03 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Not to me either, I've found my 20 yr old set of these to be quite
adequate for my occasional needs:

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-piec...set-35407.html

My set is considerably older, but just as cheap. I have a few that I
picked up from who knows where that are much higher quality, but the
cheap stuff works OK for re-working threads and taping wood.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:43:15 -0500, Jack wrote:

[...]

How can that be? Threaded inserts are, well, threaded into the wood,
after all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

(Posted at end of numerous lines of extraneous text to conform to
ignorance level of previous poster[s])

Threaded inserts are generally very short, with a few course threads,
making them unstable and weak, while a tapped hole is the length of the
screw and very stable. It's also easy to tap a hole in wood, just using
a small tail-less drill and the tap.

And before you go all Krwnotreal on me, I said "I think" they "often"
work better, not that no one should ever use a threaded insert...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2017 11:28 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/16/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

Actually, some threaded inserts may be very short and have only a few
coarse threads.
Threaded inserts with coarse threads are generally intended to be used
in soft woods and plywood. A bolt and or screw does not thread well
into soft woods or plywood and last with repeated assembly and disassembles.
I buy these things 20~50 at a time in lengths up to 1.25" long and they
receive, in my case, 5/16" bolts. And FWIW I have never had one fail.
I used 8 inserts and 8, 5/16"bolts to hold a commercial airplane display
together. This display is used all around the world and is disassembled
and reassembled for each convention that it is used at. I have been
told that this display had been taken apart and reassembled about once a
month for the past 4 years.

Naturally if you use the wrong part for a particular application it is
likely to fail. By the same token if I had simply threaded the display
with a tap and not use a threaded insert and bolted it together it would
not have held up with 50 plus cycles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

Naturally.