Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rocky 30 Trim Router - 3/8" Collet?

My Rocky 30 Trim Router kit arrived yesterday. MLCS SKU 9060. It's not
yet viewable on their website, but the SKU can be ordered on the Quick
order page.

It's my first trim router, so I don't have anything to compare it to,
but it seems like a nice little unit.

I wish it came with some sort of carrying case, but I guess I'll have
to pick one up at HF or HD. There's no LED or micro-adjust, but at
under $100 for the router and plunge base, I'm not complaining.

I did a quick round-over on a short piece of 1 x 6 and it was nice to
be able to use one hand for the router and one hand to hold the board.
The plunge base seems to work, but I haven't really tested it yet.

Here's my question:

In with the accessories was a 3/8" collet. As shown in the link below,
the 3/8" collet (on the left) is just a conical sleeve with a single slot.
The more standard 1/4" four-slot collet is on the right.

https://imgur.com/Y36uHMM

I was not aware that router bits came with 3/8" shanks, so I called
MLCS. When I asked about the 3/8" collet, the tech support guy said:

"Yeah, they throw that in at the factory. You won't get much use out of
it since there aren't too many 3/8" shank routers bits available."

Is that true? Obviously the larger the shank the better, so I wouldn't
mind springing for a couple of 3/8" shank bits if they were available. On
the other hand, the fact that the 3/8" collet is much more "basic" than
a standard four-slot router collet, it almost seems like it's not meant
to be used full time.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

I haven't seen a 3/8" router bit in stores and haven't looked elsewhere.
There's two very usable standard sizes, why throw in a third?

You'll be able to find 3/8" tooling by looking at end mills, but they're
usually just straight. There's some with round ends, "clipped" corners
and a couple different configurations. An end mill will cut wood just
fine, I've done it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 1:22:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

Well, the only reason I can think of is the standard "the bigger the
shank, the lesser the vibration." Since the Rocky 30 seems to be able
to handle the 3/8" shank, it would be nice if bits were actually
available.

You'll be able to find 3/8" tooling by looking at end mills, but they're
usually just straight. There's some with round ends, "clipped" corners
and a couple different configurations. An end mill will cut wood just
fine, I've done it.

Puckdropper

Thanks for the info on end mills. I assume that they are more expensive than
1/4" shank router bits. Probably not worth the extra cost for my needs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 10:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The bigger bushings do not need to flex as much as the smaller bushings.
More cuts in the bushing allow for more adjustment.
I would not be concerned with the single cut bushing.
FWIW my 1/2" bushing/collet has 3 cuts, my 1/4" has 4.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 2:10:00 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that info.

Do you know of anyone that sells 3/8" shank router bits in standard
profiles, such as round-overs, chamfers, etc?

Remember, you started me down this Rocky Road, so you're on the hook
to help me get the most out of this tool. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 12:22 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

For the most part .25 and .5 covers the normal needs. To go a bit
farther, LeighJigs used to offer 8 mm shank bits, I have a few 8mm DT
bits. These bits were better when you really needed more than a 1/4"
shank bit and when a 1/2" shank bit and bushing would not fit between
closely spaced fingers on the jig.

You'll be able to find 3/8" tooling by looking at end mills, but they're
usually just straight. There's some with round ends, "clipped" corners
and a couple different configurations. An end mill will cut wood just
fine, I've done it.

Heck yeah an end mill will cut wood. If you remember Steve Knight, I
used to cut mouth blocks for his hand planes, I made a few thousand.
I used carbide tip bits to plunge twin 3/8" wide by 2" long through
slots through 1/4" thick Ipe. After about 200 slots the bit was pretty
much toast. I finally ended up using a 4 flute end mill bit and
probably cut 1200~1400 slots with it and it is still pretty darn sharp.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 12:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Actually end mill bits are pretty inexpensive by comparison, they are
HHS. As I pointed out to Puckdropper they outlasted carbide bits many
times over.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I was not aware that router bits came with 3/8" shanks, so I called
MLCS. When I asked about the 3/8" collet, the tech support guy said:

The only 3/8th shank router bit I've ever seen was a
3/8th straight bit. It was probably solid carbide,
I can't think of another reason not to use either a
1/4 or 1/2 shank.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 1:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

McMaster Carr has some and here, although I have never bought from the
company listed below.

http://tools.toolstoday.com/search?w...0router%20bits
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 11:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

So here's the thing, many metal working milling bits are 3/8"
and WAY cheaper than woodworking bits.

So you can use them. They have 2 flute, 4 flute, some rare 3 flute.
ball end, flat, etc...
So I would say it is and can be useful.
It's whether you will venture to metal working suppliers.. OBTW, the
prices to Metal workers, is much less than the price to WW for the same
bits.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 2:27:31 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Almost all straight bits at ToolsToday. None of the basic profiles.

I may try some end mills just to see if I can tell any difference.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 12:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the info on end mills. I assume that they are more expensive than
1/4" shank router bits. Probably not worth the extra cost for my needs.

Perhaps, if it's a trim router and you probably won't be doing plunge
cuts with it.

However, I use end mills exclusively as bits for my Multi-Router for
cutting mortises'.

The advantage is the lower lengths available with end mills, as opposed
to router "bits".

It often a challenge to find a router bit long enough to cut to the
mortise depth you need when chucked safely in the router, and you must
also go through the thickness of the "table" of a router "jig" to cut
the mortise.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 5:00 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/22/2016 12:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The advantage is the LONGER lengths available with end mills, as opposed
to router "bits". ^^^^^^

Damned stick keys ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:00:23 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 7/22/2016 12:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the info on end mills. I assume that they are more expensive than
1/4" shank router bits. Probably not worth the extra cost for my needs.

Perhaps, if it's a trim router and you probably won't be doing plunge
cuts with it.

However, I use end mills exclusively as bits for my Multi-Router for
cutting mortises'.

The advantage is the lower lengths available with end mills, as opposed
to router "bits".

It often a challenge to find a router bit long enough to cut to the
mortise depth you need when chucked safely in the router, and you must
also go through the thickness of the "table" of a router "jig" to cut
the mortise.

That's a very good point the length.

I just bought the trim router with the plunge base. I don't have a
plunge base for my full size PC router.

The trim router with the plunge base is going to be perfect for some of
the stuff I need to do for the bed project, such as the mortises for the
rail hardware and the brackets for the slats.

It'll also be a lot easier to do all the round-overs than with the PC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 Jul 2016 17:22:42 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

You mean like 8mm?

You'll be able to find 3/8" tooling by looking at end mills, but they're
usually just straight. There's some with round ends, "clipped" corners
and a couple different configurations. An end mill will cut wood just
fine, I've done it.

Sounds like it would be worthwhile just for that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:00:11 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/22/2016 12:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the info on end mills. I assume that they are more expensive than
1/4" shank router bits. Probably not worth the extra cost for my needs.

Perhaps, if it's a trim router and you probably won't be doing plunge
cuts with it.

However, I use end mills exclusively as bits for my Multi-Router for
cutting mortises'.

The advantage is the lower lengths available with end mills, as opposed
to router "bits".

It often a challenge to find a router bit long enough to cut to the
mortise depth you need when chucked safely in the router, and you must
also go through the thickness of the "table" of a router "jig" to cut
the mortise.

Mortise Pal sold some really nice, long, solid carbide up-spiral bits.
Unfortunately, they seem to be no more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2016 9:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's a very good point the length.

I order end mills online from Travers Tool.

This is the 3/8" one I use the most for mortise work, both in my plunge
router and Multi-Router. I also keep the same style in 1/4" on hand:

http://www.travers.com/4-flute-micro.../p/20-501-170/

If you have any questions about use (which end mill/configuration works
best for a particular application/material) their customer service has
always been very knowledgeable when I've called.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

The trim router with the plunge base is going to be perfect for some
of the stuff I need to do for the bed project, such as the mortises
for the rail hardware and the brackets for the slats.

For really shallow mortises, like to inlay hardware, it
should be fine. If it's like most trim routers, tho, it's
not going to have the oats to do a deeper mortise.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 8:03:01 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 7/22/2016 9:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's a very good point the length.

I order end mills online from Travers Tool.

This is the 3/8" one I use the most for mortise work, both in my plunge
router and Multi-Router. I also keep the same style in 1/4" on hand:

http://www.travers.com/4-flute-micro.../p/20-501-170/

If you have any questions about use (which end mill/configuration works
best for a particular application/material) their customer service has
always been very knowledgeable when I've called.

Additionally, to Karl's offer....

Some years ago, while vacationing in NC, I bought a cache (I stopped counting at 400 bits) of assorted bits, from one of the auction sites. Among them were 3/8" shank bits router bits and I suppose CNC router bits.

If you'd like to try some, I can send you 1 or 2 dozen. The black ones are clockwise spin and the orange ones are counter-clockwise spin. Their tips are either flat or pointed. There are some straight bits and spiral ones. None seem to be very long, mostly short, and there are no profile bits. About the only time I've used these 3/8" bits are for hogging out a hole, of some sort, using a hand held drill, as I don't have a 3/8" collet for my routers. There are several 3/8" collets in the cache, but they are probably for a CNC router. I wouldn't try to install them in any hand held router.

In the 4th pic, the green coated group, of 5, are 1/2" shank dovetail bits. Their cut is about 3/8" wide, also. I have lots of them, so I can throw in some of these, as well.

Anyway, if you'd like to check these out, try them, email me your address to cedarsonny at aye oh el dot com and I'll send some.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/16 9:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
too many 3/8" shank routers bits available."

Is that true? Obviously the larger the shank the better, so I wouldn't
mind springing for a couple of 3/8" shank bits if they were available. On
the other hand, the fact that the 3/8" collet is much more "basic" than
a standard four-slot router collet, it almost seems like it's not meant
to be used full time.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

I bought a 3/8 collet for my big Milwaukee in my router table for the
express purpose of using 3/8" milling bits. I've broken enough $$$ 1/2"
shank, 3/8" spiral cut router bits to appreciate inexpensive and damn
sharp HSS milling bits.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 9:49:21 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer. Let me play with the router a bit
and see how I do with what I have.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 9:03:01 AM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 7/22/2016 9:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's a very good point the length.

I order end mills online from Travers Tool.

This is the 3/8" one I use the most for mortise work, both in my plunge
router and Multi-Router. I also keep the same style in 1/4" on hand:

http://www.travers.com/4-flute-micro.../p/20-501-170/

If you have any questions about use (which end mill/configuration works
best for a particular application/material) their customer service has
always been very knowledgeable when I've called.

Thanks for the link!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Jul 2016 06:45:00 GMT, Puckdropper

wrote in :

On 22 Jul 2016 17:22:42 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I haven't seen a 3/8" router bit in stores and haven't looked
elsewhere. There's two very usable standard sizes, why throw in a
third?

You mean like 8mm?

Yes! Just because it's metric doesn't mean the darn thing has to have no
decimal point. (I realize 8mm is awful close to 5/16".) Make it 6.35mm
and be done with it.

Sorry, I meant to answer "why a third" with, "like 8mm?" 3/8" is a
forth. ;-)

You'll be able to find 3/8" tooling by looking at end mills, but
they're usually just straight. There's some with round ends,
"clipped" corners and a couple different configurations. An end mill
will cut wood just fine, I've done it.

Sounds like it would be worthwhile just for that.

Oh! I just remembered something important: Not all end mills can be
plunged into the work. Those that can are called "center cutting". Be
sure to look closely at the end before buying a whole bunch of them.
Generally, 2 flute EMs will be center cutting.

Wouldn't there have to be some sort of cutter over the end?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Jul 2016 02:01:38 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in :

*snip&trim*

Oh! I just remembered something important: Not all end mills can be
plunged into the work. Those that can are called "center cutting".
Be sure to look closely at the end before buying a whole bunch of
them. Generally, 2 flute EMs will be center cutting.

Wouldn't there have to be some sort of cutter over the end?

The ones I've seen that weren't center cutting (and this by far does not
represent any meaningful percentage of the ones out there) were sharp on
the ends to the point where the 4 flutes came together. At that point, it
wasn't sharp. Those EMs could be ramped down into the work, but couldn't
be plunged.

I was wondering how those worked. IOW, they don't plunge (they aren't
a drill).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in :

On 24 Jul 2016 02:01:38 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in
m:

*snip&trim*

Oh! I just remembered something important: Not all end mills can
be plunged into the work. Those that can are called "center
cutting". Be sure to look closely at the end before buying a whole
bunch of them. Generally, 2 flute EMs will be center cutting.

Wouldn't there have to be some sort of cutter over the end?

The ones I've seen that weren't center cutting (and this by far does
not represent any meaningful percentage of the ones out there) were
sharp on the ends to the point where the 4 flutes came together. At
that point, it wasn't sharp. Those EMs could be ramped down into the
work, but couldn't be plunged.

I was wondering how those worked. IOW, they don't plunge (they aren't
a drill).

Yeah, that's the difference between "center cutting" and
"non-center cutting". The non-center cutting are designed
to cut on the side of the mill - the workpiece is moved
under the cutter from the side, as if you were cutting a
groove or rabbet. The center cutting type are designed to
cut on the side or end, so they can be plunged into the
work and then the workpiece moved (e.g. for a stopped
groove).

If I remember correctly (unfortunately my machinist friend
passed away earlier this year, so I can't ask him) the non-
end cutting mills clear chips better, so can cut faster in
a production setting. Which is why both kinds exist.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2016 9:34 AM, John McCoy wrote:
wrote in :

[...]

A four flute always has a cutting edge in contact with the material, not
necessarily with a 2 flute. So a chattering cut, may require a four
flute to calm the cut down.

--
Jeff