Posted to rec.woodworking

Default complaints on hf glue

never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also
complained about the bottle

if they can put the glue in a tube like a toothpaste tube they will
have a good product there for smaller jobs

still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat

titebond has a yellowish look

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat

I've always asssumed you're not supposed to see any glue or glue lines on a finished project. At least, that's the results I strive for.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

wrote:

still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat

I've always asssumed you're not supposed to see any glue or glue lines
on a finished project. At least, that's the results I strive for.

Agreed. For two reasons - one being aesthetics, the other
being a visible glue line represents a weak joint (the
exception being with epoxy, where you actually do want to
see a glue line).

Apropos of the HF wood glue, judging by the Comet's comments
on it's texture and appearance, and the fact HF describes it
as "acrylic", I'm guessing it's actually adhesive for engineered
wood floors.

I looked for the MSDS for the glue (you can often get hints
of the actual manufacturer that way), but HF doesn't put them
on-line. Perhaps next time Electric Comet is in HF he can
ask for one (I beleive they are required by law to supply the
MSDS on request).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Sonny wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

It appears to be pretty harmless stuff.

http://www.titebond.com/ProductMSDSS...c-b53970f736af

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

John McCoy wrote:

I looked for the MSDS for the glue (you can often get hints
of the actual manufacturer that way), but HF doesn't put them
on-line. Perhaps next time Electric Comet is in HF he can
ask for one (I beleive they are required by law to supply the
MSDS on request).

It appears to be pretty harmless stuff.

http://www.titebond.com/ProductMSDSS...B1=Submit&MSDS
_Prod=e8d40b45-0ab3-49f7-8a9c-b53970f736af

Why do you beleive Franklin International is the manufacturer
of Harbor Freight's glue? I hadn't seen that, is it noted
somewhere that I missed?

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

John McCoy wrote:

I looked for the MSDS for the glue (you can often get hints
of the actual manufacturer that way), but HF doesn't put them
on-line. Perhaps next time Electric Comet is in HF he can
ask for one (I beleive they are required by law to supply the
MSDS on request).

It appears to be pretty harmless stuff.

http://www.titebond.com/ProductMSDSS...B1=Submit&MSDS
_Prod=e8d40b45-0ab3-49f7-8a9c-b53970f736af

Why do you beleive Franklin International is the manufacturer
of Harbor Freight's glue? I hadn't seen that, is it noted
somewhere that I missed?

John

It's in the actual HF URL: titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue

http://www.harborfreight.com/titebon...-oz-91768.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-28, Spalted Walt wrote:

It's in the actual HF URL: titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue

A URL means zip. They coulda put "zombie-proof" in the URL and it
still woulda meant nada. The telling feature I see is, HF glue admits
to being an "acrylic base", while relegating other glues to
"polyurethane" based.

I tried digging down, but I flunked chemistry. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly* disagree.

How long do you think Dewalt would allow HF this infringement?

dewalt-709-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw

to point to their cheap SCMS

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...tem-61969.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly*
disagree.

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't
noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The
only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't
reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand
is "HFT").

Compare with their page for Gorilla Glue, which uses the
actual Gorilla Glue name and logo, and does not say the
brand is "HFT".

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote:

Why do you beleive Franklin International is the manufacturer
of Harbor Freight's glue? I hadn't seen that, is it noted
somewhere that I missed?

John

It's in the actual HF URL: titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue

http://www.harborfreight.com/titebon...-oz-91768.html

https://trademarks.justia.com/765/78...-76578574.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-28, Spalted Walt wrote:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly* disagree.

How long do you think Dewalt would allow HF this infringement?

dewalt-709-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw

to point to their cheap SCMS

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...tem-61969.html

Why are you telling me!?

You should probably be telling Franklin International.

BTW, ever heard of a "generecized" trademark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly*
disagree.

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't
noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The
only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't
reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand
is "HFT").

HF has been using that "titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue" URL for almost 5 years:
Sep 20, 2011

http://web.archive.org/web/201109202...-oz-91768.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 11:54:37 AM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly*
disagree.

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't
noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The
only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't
reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand
is "HFT").

....snip...

Actually, a search on their website for titebond leads you to a page that
leads you to the page with titebond in the URL.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ult?q=titebond

So that means that they have associated that product with the word titebond in their search database.

I don't know if that's worth anything, I'm just tossing it out there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-28, Spalted Walt wrote:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly* disagree.

How long do you think Dewalt would allow HF this infringement?

dewalt-709-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw

to point to their cheap SCMS

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...tem-61969.html

Why are you telling me!?

1) Because you were wrong

You should probably be telling Franklin International.

Why? I'm quite sure they're aware.

BTW, ever heard of a "generecized" trademark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

See 1) above O_o

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-28, Spalted Walt wrote:

notbob wrote:

Why are you telling me!?

1) Because you were wrong

You should probably be telling Franklin International.

Why? I'm quite sure they're aware.

BTW, ever heard of a "generecized" trademark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

See 1) above O_o

Let me see if I have this straight.

1) HF uses Franklins brand name in their URL

2) Franklin has known this fer 5 yrs

3) It's not really Titebond glue

4) I'm wrong.

Hey, whatever floats yer boat.

BTW, what's wrong with yer eye?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote:

Let me see if I have this straight.

1) HF uses Franklins brand name in their URL

2) Franklin has known this fer 5 yrs

3) It's not really Titebond glue

4) I'm wrong.

Yes, yer wrong 'bout 3)

BTW, what's wrong with yer eye?

^_^ moe better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly*
disagree.

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't
noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The
only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't
reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand
is "HFT").

One possibility is HF has a business agreement with Franklin
International to buy and repackage/rebrand TBIII factory 'seconds'
and/or unsold product that was at or near expiration date.
Hence the "too thick to flow" complaints.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2016 11:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly*
disagree.

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't
noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The
only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't
reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand
is "HFT").

HF has been using that "titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue" URL for almost 5 years:
Sep 20, 2011

http://web.archive.org/web/201109202...-oz-91768.html

So that if you are actually looking for TB III a search engine will
include the HF crap. It is a redirect ploy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

One possibility is HF has a business agreement with Franklin
International to buy and repackage/rebrand TBIII factory 'seconds'
and/or unsold product that was at or near expiration date.
Hence the "too thick to flow" complaints.

Could well be. In which case they likely have some agreement,
even if just a handshake, allowing them to call it "titebond
style" or something like that.

The MSDS for "HFT" glue, if it was available, would probably
tell us the actual manufacturer. And if it was Franklin
International, we could assume it was Titebond that was in
some way out-of-spec.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/28/2016 11:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

A URL means zip.

Try telling that to Trademark holders. I think they would *strongly*
disagree.

I think it's more likely that the trademark holder hasn't
noticed yet, than that the glue is actually Titebond. The
only place "titebond" appears is in the URL, they don't
reference anywhere on the actual page (which says the brand
is "HFT").

HF has been using that "titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue" URL for almost 5 years:
Sep 20, 2011

http://web.archive.org/web/201109202...-oz-91768.html

So that if you are actually looking for TB III a search engine will
include the HF crap. It is a redirect ploy.

You'd think that would indeed be the reason. If it was, it is an EPIC
failure because if you Google "titebond iii ultimate wood glue" or
just "titebond iii" , either with or without the quotes, I don't think
you'll see a single HF link.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2016 1:52 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote in
:

One possibility is HF has a business agreement with Franklin
International to buy and repackage/rebrand TBIII factory 'seconds'
and/or unsold product that was at or near expiration date.
Hence the "too thick to flow" complaints.

Could well be. In which case they likely have some agreement,
even if just a handshake, allowing them to call it "titebond
style" or something like that.

Or too much trouble to go after them since the product does not say
anything about TBIII. so what if a link directs you to a different
brand product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 07:29:32 -0700
Electric Comet wrote:

never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also
complained about the bottle

in all the reviews no one marked the bottle as a con

are people so afraid of the truth now that they censor themselves
about a bottle og glue

you will end of with carpel tunnel syndrome trying to use this
bottle

i use a small ratchet style clamp to squeeze out the glue

pop the quick release and no problem

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2016 2:05 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/28/2016 11:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

[...]

No but I googled Titebond iii glue and actually did see a link to a web
site that offered other adhesives but no Titebond iii.

I got this as second suggestion

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/product...ol ored_Broad

and this

http://www.mscdirect.com/products/lo...=12465 880692

and this

http://www.staples.com/Dot+Shot/dire...ro_glue:164978

Search engines will focus on all or any one word in the search
description. If you put in glue or adhesive along with titebond III you
get lots of other hits.

With adhesive instead of glue I got this at the top.

https://www.mydenturecare.com/en-us/...0Mrg&gclsrc=ds

And a little farther down,

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...607075&veh=sem

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2016 4:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/28/2016 2:05 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/28/2016 11:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

[...]

And for what it is worth, I went to the HF site and searched Probond
glue, and Elmer's wood glue

Here is the result.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=probond+glue

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:16:04 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/28/2016 4:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/28/2016 2:05 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/28/2016 11:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
John McCoy wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

notbob wrote:

[...]

It's interesting that probond returns 0 matches, yet titebond
returns 1.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ult?q=titebond

Maybe the builder of the search database assumed more people are
familiar with the titebond brand vs. the probond.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:nftn98$hcd$6
@dont-email.me:

Electric Comet wrote:

never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also
complained about the bottle

in all the reviews no one marked the bottle as a con

How now? In the "Cons" I see:

"Hard to get out"
"Hard to dispense"
"Bottle cap design"
"Poor container"

And of course the review text is full of "won't go thru the cap"
type comments.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

notbob wrote:

Let me see if I have this straight.

1) HF uses Franklins brand name in their URL

2) Franklin has known this fer 5 yrs

3) It's not really Titebond glue

4) I'm wrong.

Yes, yer wrong 'bout 3)

You have of course obtained confirmation from the manufacturer of
Titebond that the glue in question is in fact Titebond III, even though
Harbor Freight claims it is "acrylic" and Titebond is not acrylic?

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10....4-009-1195-6_6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylate_polymer
http://www.astm.org/DIGITAL_LIBRARY/.../MNL12186M.htm

HTH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:nfqias$hvv$2
@dont-email.me:

never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also
complained about the bottle

if they can put the glue in a tube like a toothpaste tube they will
have a good product there for smaller jobs

still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat

titebond has a yellowish look

I was at a HF today, and out of curiousity popped the cap off the bottle.
It kinda looks like Tacky Glue, but may not be tacky. (I didn't touch the
glue.) It's in a similar bottle to Tacky Glue too.

Is the HF glue actually tacky?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2016 10:05 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in news:nfqias$hvv$2
@dont-email.me:

never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also
complained about the bottle

if they can put the glue in a tube like a toothpaste tube they will
have a good product there for smaller jobs

still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat

titebond has a yellowish look

I was at a HF today, and out of curiousity popped the cap off the bottle.
It kinda looks like Tacky Glue, but may not be tacky. (I didn't touch the
glue.) It's in a similar bottle to Tacky Glue too.

Is the HF glue actually tacky?

Puckdropper

Almost everything at HF is tacky. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Is the HF glue actually tacky?

Puckdropper

Almost everything at HF is tacky. ;~)

+1

Excellent!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 8:53:10 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/28/2016 10:05 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Electric Comet wrote in news:nfqias$hvv$2
@dont-email.me:

never read the reviews on the hf wood glue but others have also
complained about the bottle

if they can put the glue in a tube like a toothpaste tube they will
have a good product there for smaller jobs

still have not seen how the glue looks when using a clear coat

titebond has a yellowish look

I was at a HF today, and out of curiousity popped the cap off the bottle.
It kinda looks like Tacky Glue, but may not be tacky. (I didn't touch the
glue.) It's in a similar bottle to Tacky Glue too.

Is the HF glue actually tacky?

Puckdropper

Almost everything at HF is tacky. ;~)

That's why they sell these...

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-oz-ta...ead-67715.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke" wrote:

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10....4-009-1195-6_6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylate_polymer
http://www.astm.org/DIGITAL_LIBRARY/.../MNL12186M.htm

Yes, laddie, there is such a thing as acrylic adhesive. There are also
urethanes, silicones, urea-formaldehydes, resorcinol, epoxies,
caseinates, polysulfides, and a whole large range of others. What of
it?

HF = Acrylic Polymer = EZ WATER CLEANUP
TBIII = Acrylic Polymer = EZ WATER CLEANUP

Your turn...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

J. Clarke" wrote:

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10....4-009-1195-6_6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylate_polymer
http://www.astm.org/DIGITAL_LIBRARY/.../MNL12186M.htm

Yes, laddie, there is such a thing as acrylic adhesive. There are also
urethanes, silicones, urea-formaldehydes, resorcinol, epoxies,
caseinates, polysulfides, and a whole large range of others. What of
it?

HF = Acrylic Polymer = EZ WATER CLEANUP
TBIII = Acrylic Polymer = EZ WATER CLEANUP

Your turn...

What, you think the only kind of glue with "EZ water cleanup" is
acrylic? And you think that acrylic automatically impiies "EZ water
cleanup"? Squirt some methyl methacrylate in your eyes and see how EZ
it cleans up with water.

Look, I don't know what your area of expertise might be, but it clearly
isn't adhesives and the next dumb-ass remark you make on this thread
puts you in my killfile.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

What, you think

It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedalian
verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be
verbalized using comparatively simplistic lexicographical entities.

PLONK!

Welcome to my BOZO bin!