Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar Chest

http://imgur.com/a/xBqX0

I got a chest from a friend who was moving. It was all nailed and
screwed together. They were covered mostly by other boards on the
corners nailed on.
So he drops it off figuring I can use the wood as he doesn't want to
take it.
It was cracked in multiple areas.

I tore it apart 2 or 3 years ago and it's been sitting in the shop.

My son needed a coffee table, and since his apartment is really small, I
figured a cedar chest would serve double purpose.
But since he drinks like a fish (out of college a year and still drinks
like he is in college) I needed to make sure that a spilled drink didn't
run into the chest or ruin the finish. Most of you know my love for
shellac. So I shellaced it, but had to protect the shellac. I coated it
with lacquer as a final 2 coats. Am just waiting for it to harden up to
rub it out. I haven't used lacquer in a long time, and I'm loving the
choice over poly. It just looks better, dries quickly, and I know it
will rub out easily and look great.

There is a groove routed with a core box bit around the bottom edge, so
if the drink spills it won't follow the top around and go into the
chest. I thought that was a cool idea.

The wood was not a very nice cedar. I think it was Spanish. I had to add
my own cedar for the skirt as the old one was not very nice, and had
many screw holes filled with putty on top of the screws. My own cedar is
eastern red. So it was not a great match. A little bright red dye in the
shellac helped bring the Spanish cedar closer. Not exact, not perfect,
but it helped to soften the difference.
Also waiting on rockler for some chest hinges (torsion type).
I don't think they will be here on time, as I am going to visit him this
Saturday for a lobster fest,... a neat day where the lobster is huge,
the corn is great, and lots of beer and wine flow.

So I'm torn between keeping it a few more weeks, or bringing it up now.

Anyway, hand cut dovetails, pinned maple using walnut pegs (made using
a home made dowel plate).

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 9:43:17 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

My son needed a coffee table, and since his apartment is really small, I
figured a cedar chest would serve double purpose.
But since he drinks like a fish (out of college a year and still drinks
like he is in college) I needed to make sure that a spilled drink didn't
run into the chest or ruin the finish. Most of you know my love for
shellac. So I shellaced it, but had to protect the shellac. I coated it
with lacquer as a final 2 coats. Am just waiting for it to harden up to
rub it out. I haven't used lacquer in a long time, and I'm loving the
choice over poly. It just looks better, dries quickly, and I know it
will rub out easily and look great.

Looks great. Good job.

I did lots of projects with ER cedar and always used shellac for the first coats, as a resin blocker. For my projects (possibly not fully air dried stock), the resin had a tendency to leach to the surface, especially where the knots are. The few first projects, I had used spar urethane, before discovering the resin leaching out.

Good work. Your son will no doubt appreciate it.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/17/2015 9:43 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Wow what a transformation, looks great!

I would say hold on to it and finish to your satisfaction if you that
trip is not too far to make.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

That's beautiful. Great work!
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Beautiful. I built one in high school shop (using a kit) but it never
looked that good. My mom still has it 60 years later.

--
GW Ross

Now just a second! I happen to LIKE
my foot in my mouth!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 9:43:17 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

A little bright red dye in the
shellac helped bring the Spanish cedar closer. Not exact, not perfect,
but it helped to soften the difference.

Jeff

Jeff, what red dye did you use? Might work for toning epoxy filler, for some ER cedar slabs, with some unsightly defects - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/.

I had once tried cedar flavored Famowood filler, but it was more pink, than the cedar red tone. The pink looked like crap.

Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2015 10:13 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 9:43:17 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

A little bright red dye in the
shellac helped bring the Spanish cedar closer. Not exact, not perfect,
but it helped to soften the difference.

Jeff

Jeff, what red dye did you use? Might work for toning epoxy filler, for some ER cedar slabs, with some unsightly defects - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/.

I had once tried cedar flavored Famowood filler, but it was more pink, than the cedar red tone. The pink looked like crap.

Thanks.
Sonny

I used trans tint I think it was bright red. One drop per 16 oz.
so it was a light buildup.

Looked pretty strong in the glass, but was very light on top. Could not
even see the red hue on the maple, but could clearly see it on the top.

Don't know if that makes sense..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 1:10:44 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

I used trans tint I think it was bright red. One drop per 16 oz.
so it was a light buildup.

Looked pretty strong in the glass, but was very light on top. Could not
even see the red hue on the maple, but could clearly see it on the top.

Don't know if that makes sense..

Jeff

Makes perfect sense and I'm familiar with the mixing of the "browns" shades of TransTint dyes. Shouldn't be but a matter of mixing an appropriate red blend. I have plenty of cedar scrap to test with.

Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 22:43:12 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

Looked great to me, looked like 1 inch cedar from the size of the
joints.

PS: on stripping down the Stool once again, and we has some real high
humidity here, 85-90 Deg F 86+% humidity, I had to strip it carefully
of plug up the sandpaper fast, whether by hand or orbital. So I did a
little bit every other day. Sometimes getting what looked like buggers
in the shellac. Come to find out those were areas where the shellac
gasified determined when I started sanding at night, and could see the
formation of bubbles in the shellac, and when those areas were sanded
the "buggers" appeared.

Finally ended up going to bare wood once again. Then sealed it, waited
24 hrs and re stained it. left it again for 24 hrs but the temp and
hum stayed high so I let her slide for a while and through some temp
cabinets together for the kitchen.

I am about to start coating the stool again, with shellac, but will go
slow and easy. Waiting for it to "cure" some before the next coat.
From all the instruction I received here, and seeing the effects of
what I did while I was stripping the stool I have learned a lot, and
am grateful for all the finishing guidelines. Your comment on the
"soft shellac" brought this up to my memory.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

3/4

[...]

From all the instruction I received here, and seeing the effects of
what I did while I was stripping the stool I have learned a lot, and
am grateful for all the finishing guidelines. Your comment on the
"soft shellac" brought this up to my memory.

With the high humidity you will have a blushing problem. Can you work in
an air conditioned area? At around 80% humidity you have a fighting
change but 86% , I have some doubts. If you spray it and it blushes ,
don't continue. Just wait for a drier period.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From all the instruction I received here, and seeing the effects of
what I did while I was stripping the stool I have learned a lot, and
am grateful for all the finishing guidelines. Your comment on the
"soft shellac" brought this up to my memory.

With the high humidity you will have a blushing problem. Can you work in
an air conditioned area? At around 80% humidity you have a fighting
change but 86% , I have some doubts. If you spray it and it blushes ,
don't continue. Just wait for a drier period.

I'll just wait, humidity is seldom over 40% here, but with the El Nino
this year it has been crazy. I have no A/C since I live so close to
the ocean and we are now having the so-call annual devil winds. So
I'll just practice patience and work on some kitchen cabinets for some
additional space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/9/2015 12:08 AM, No Pet wrote:

With the high humidity you will have a blushing problem. Can you work in
an air conditioned area? At around 80% humidity you have a fighting
change but 86% , I have some doubts. If you spray it and it blushes ,
don't continue. Just wait for a drier period.

I'll just wait, humidity is seldom over 40% here, but with the El Nino
this year it has been crazy. I have no A/C since I live so close to
the ocean and we are now having the so-call annual devil winds. So
I'll just practice patience and work on some kitchen cabinets for some
additional space.

Or, you can try using 99% isopropyl alcohol, available at most
drugstores and Wal-Marts, as your shellac thinner to get the optimum cut
for your spraying.

The higher the humidity when spraying shellac, the less water content
you want in your cut, and a lower water content will cut down on the
possibility of blushing.

I live on the Gulf Coast, spray mostly shellac, and the relative
humidity is rarely below 90%.

As always, do a test spray on project scrap, but you should find using
99% isopropyl alcohol to cut when spraying helps with blushing.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

If you are worried about the finish, put a coat of this on the top and you will not have to worry. It will take one heck of a long time to dry. But its bullet proof.

BTW, it also comes in gloss.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 4:49:45 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
If you are worried about the finish, put a coat of this on the top and you will not have to worry. It will take one heck of a long time to dry. But its bullet proof.

BTW, it also comes in gloss.

Put a coat of _what_ on the top?

Yes, just on the top. While you could put it on the sides, there is no need (unless the son is given to splashing potables all over the place). In fact, I would mount the hinges, then pull the top and finish it by itself, then put it back on, once the Rock Hard has dried.

Speaking of which, I live in southern Alabama - land of constant high humidity. I read the directions on the can and expected the finish to be set (not fully cured) to the point where I could gently handle it in 24 hours. It actually took about four days. But it did harden and today nothing mars the finish.

It goes on thick and the coverage is not what you would expect from other urethane (hence just doing the top), but if you are looking for a very hard and very durable finish, its hard to beat.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/10/2015 6:53 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

oh, I only did the top with lacquer over the shellac. I did not do the
rest of the chest. As you said, no need to do the sides.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

OK, I'll take your word for it that "this" is a good product, however
googling that brand name is singularly unproductive. So where does
one obtain "this"?

There.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote:

"This"

Oh - I must have misread it. I thought it was This...

It is This, absolutely not That.

But you can get "This" at the same place as "That".

As long as "Who" is not around.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:10:09 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:00:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/10/2015 4:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/9/2015 5:00 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...
If you are worried about the finish, put a coat of this on the top
and you will not have to worry. It will take one heck of a long
time to dry. But its bullet proof. BTW, it also comes in gloss.

Put a coat of _what_ on the top?

"This" ;~)

Oh - I must have misread it. I thought it was This...

It is This, absolutely not That. ;~)

But you can get "This" at the same place as "That".

Oh, no! Not *THAT*!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 22:43:12 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/xBqX0

nice looking
i always like projects that refurb something old and discarded

i got a chest but it did not need anything close to what you did here
it was a carved chest that just needed some nails replaced and screws
tightened and a cleaning with an old toothbrush

i think it is from the phillipines

But since he drinks like a fish (out of college a year and still
drinks like he is in college) I needed to make sure that a spilled

the level of drinking now is not good
i do worry about the excessive drinking of the young men/women

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 11:21:00 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

And "That" is exactly what I hate about the internet...

Punned out eh Mike?

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/xBqX0

nice looking
i always like projects that refurb something old and discarded

i got a chest but it did not need anything close to what you did here
it was a carved chest that just needed some nails replaced and screws
tightened and a cleaning with an old toothbrush

i think it is from the phillipines

But since he drinks like a fish (out of college a year and still
drinks like he is in college) I needed to make sure that a spilled

the level of drinking now is not good
i do worry about the excessive drinking of the young men/women

Yea, but there is little I can do. I don't want to alienate him.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:24:49 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

Yea, but there is little I can do. I don't want to alienate him.

know what you mean
it is a fine balance
i usually err on the side of giving the advice

i also think that i would not have minded if someone had shared some of
their wisdom when i was younger
but i think we are reluctant to do so nowadays because youth is held on a
pedestal

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Yea, but there is little I can do. I don't want to alienate him.

know what you mean
it is a fine balance
i usually err on the side of giving the advice

i also think that i would not have minded if someone had shared some of
their wisdom when i was younger
but i think we are reluctant to do so nowadays because youth is held on a
pedestal

Maybe for some.
I have already tried to talk to him about it, but he has made up his own
mind. There's no need to push, I can't change, what I can't change.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Yea, but there is little I can do. I don't want to alienate him.

know what you mean
it is a fine balance
i usually err on the side of giving the advice

i also think that i would not have minded if someone had shared some of
their wisdom when i was younger
but i think we are reluctant to do so nowadays because youth is held
on a
pedestal

Maybe for some.
I have already tried to talk to him about it, but he has made up his
own mind. There's no need to push, I can't change, what I can't change.

Just make sure he realizes that things could reach a point where he
barely has a choice. I saw someone go from $100,000+/yr job and
lakefront vacation property, to no job, no spouse, no place to live
except the parents (who don't want to see their kid on the street),
multiple visits to the hospital lasting in excess of a month that they
don't remember, exhausted family members, and an early grave. Everyone's
body is different with regard to alcohol.

Refinishing an old cedar chest tlc... Woodworking 1 November 13th 07 08:52 PM
finish for cedar chest Abe Woodworking 1 March 21st 07 01:38 PM
stain for cedar chest? Abe Woodworking 6 March 17th 07 01:03 AM
CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 February 28th 07 07:19 AM
CEDAR CHEST J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 03:05 AM