Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Type of paint for cabinets in garage

I have been thinking of making several cabinets for my detached garage. I was thinking plywood carcass, but maybe poplar face frames with raised panels made out of mdf. The garage is insulted but not heated/air conditioned unless I am in there and then only a propane heater.

I need to make several of them and I figured painting them a dark color would be best as they will probably get dirty. I work with everything from wood to cars. My shop is a 30x30.

I want them to look nice, but I also want them to hold up. I would like to attempt to paint them with a sprayer. I have a large air compressor and a craftsman gun which may be siphon fed or HVLP, I am not sure. It has the cup at the bottom.

What kind of paint would you use? I am concerned with humidity and paint peeling. When I built the house around 97, I painted all my outdoor door frames with enamel. Every single piece of wood I painted with enamel ended up peeling badly.

I am not sure I can spray latex through the sort of gun I am talking about.

What about laquer? I have never worked with it. It seems maybe I read it is prone to cracking, I don't know.

I appreciate any advice you can provide!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2015 8:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

Did you prime the wood before you painted with enamel?
paint requires primer, it's what makes that really good bond.

Latex would work well,
enamel, just make sure you prime.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I'd use a tinted opaque polyurethane. I like General Finishes products,
stay away from anything Minwax. Had a client specify their Polyshades
product, and it is the demon spawn from hell, sprayed or brushed.

djb

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:31:26 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have been thinking of making several cabinets for my detached garage. I was thinking plywood carcass, but maybe poplar face frames with raised panels made out of mdf. The garage is insulted but not heated/air conditioned unless I am in there and then only a propane heater.

Go with plywood or plywood panels; your humidity and temperature changes (can cause
condensation) will not be kind to mdf. A washable finish is good, which means you
want gloss paint (or enamel), and it won't stick well or hide the woodgrain unless you
start with some primer.

Face frames with poplar are a good idea; plywood painted edges are a nuisance
to hide, and an annoyance if revealed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Plywood, poplar & MDF are good choices for shop cabinets.

I would forget about spraying, IMHO, this job is better suited to a
brush.

I'd buy a dozen 2" chip brushes and trash a brush when you are done
with it.

Trying to clean one is a waste of time IMHO.

I'd use Zinisser Cover Stain primer.

It's white, oil based, and does a great job. (You won't spray, but
could roller it it)

You can even buy it in California by the quart.

I'd prime the MDF panels completely, especially the edges, prior to
ass'y.

I'd prime the interiors after ass'y. White interiors get rid of the
dark cave
experience when you are searching for something.

Helps eliminate the flashlight in the mouth experience when looking
for
something. G

A final coat of your favorite water based floor and deck enamel on the
exterior surfaces, and it's time for a beer.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2015 6:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I would never use chip brushes for painting something you want to look
good. They don't hold enough paint to wet out correctly.

Get the best quality brush, and clean it. I have my purdy for years,
it's better when it ages then when it's new. But then it falls off the
cliff and needs replacing.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I appreciate any advice you can provide!

Would you build them out of 2x4, mdf, frame and panel or what?
If I were building shop/garage wall cabinets, I'd start here for the
doors:

Use rail & stile construction.

Make rails and stiles from 3/4" x 2" poplar.

Make the panels from 3/4" plywood.

You now have a cupboard door that is strong enough that you can
mount things on the inside surface.

If the plywood is not a full 3/4", you will need to run the 3/4" x 2"
poplar
thru the planer to match the plywood thickness.

Select some good hinges and paint per previous post.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:54af5caf$0$11351
:

Use rail & stile construction.

Make rails and stiles from 3/4" x 2" poplar.

Make the panels from 3/4" plywood.

You now have a cupboard door that is strong enough that you can
mount things on the inside surface.

If the plywood is not a full 3/4", you will need to run the 3/4" x 2"
poplar thru the planer to match the plywood thickness.

I presume your intention here is to simply rabbet the plywood
to fit the groove in the frame - as opposed to a bevel or any
other sort of profile on the panel?

If it were me, since these are shop cabinets, I wouldn't
worry about matching the frame thickness to the panels. It
won't hurt if the frame is 1/8th proud of the panel. If
you really cared, offsetting the rabbets slightly would let
the front face be flush.

Actually, I'd probably go with thinner ply for the doors,
to make them lighter and easier on the hinges. Unless the
panels are huge, 1/2 or even 3/8th would be stiff enough
to hold a rack of screwdrivers or whatever mounted on the
inside

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2015 11:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I appreciate any advice you can provide!

Would you build them out of 2x4, mdf, frame and panel or what?
If I were building shop/garage wall cabinets, I'd start here for the
doors:

Use rail & stile construction.

Make rails and stiles from 3/4" x 2" poplar.

Make the panels from 3/4" plywood.

You now have a cupboard door that is strong enough that you can
mount things on the inside surface.

If the plywood is not a full 3/4", you will need to run the 3/4" x 2"
poplar
thru the planer to match the plywood thickness.

Select some good hinges and paint per previous post.

Have fun.

Lew

Hell no.

Rail and Stile and 1/2 ply. You don't need 3/4.
1/2 ply will allow you to mount things, you get enough purchase in 1/2
And that's good enough. it will keep the weight down which keeps the
doors aligned better.

It's a lot less weight and a lot less $$ for 1/2.

For the cabinet, 1/2 or 3/4 inch ply. You don't need much there as it is
an vertical structure which will be plenty stong if built tight.

Don't over build it, and don't underbuild it. Build it right.

it's not hard to put together carcasses.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote:

I presume your intention here is to simply rabbet the plywood
to fit the groove in the frame - as opposed to a bevel or any
other sort of profile on the panel?

If it were me, since these are shop cabinets, I wouldn't
worry about matching the frame thickness to the panels. It
won't hurt if the frame is 1/8th proud of the panel. If
you really cared, offsetting the rabbets slightly would let
the front face be flush.

Actually, I'd probably go with thinner ply for the doors,
to make them lighter and easier on the hinges. Unless the
panels are huge, 1/2 or even 3/8th would be stiff enough
to hold a rack of screwdrivers or whatever mounted on the
inside

The use of 3/4" ply panels turns the 2" poplar into little
more than edge banding, so having the ply and poplar the
same thickness has some merit, especially when mounting
hinges which allows 2" wide rather than 2-1/4" wide stock.

Using rail and stile construction eliminates mitered corners.

The ply panels are glued into the poplar frame.

As far as weight is concerned, 3/4" ply weighs about 2 lbs/sq ft.

An 18" wide x 30" tall panel would weigh less than 8 lbs.

Hardly anything to get excited about.

Since the poplar serves as edge banding, think of the door
as a top that is mounted vertically.

Yes you could use thinner panels, but why bother?

These are shop cabinets, not interior kitchen cabinets.

Strong like bull works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:54b1b26f$0$42944
:

The use of 3/4" ply panels turns the 2" poplar into little
more than edge banding, so having the ply and poplar the
same thickness has some merit, especially when mounting
hinges which allows 2" wide rather than 2-1/4" wide stock.

Using rail and stile construction eliminates mitered corners.

The ply panels are glued into the poplar frame.

Since the poplar serves as edge banding, think of the door
as a top that is mounted vertically.

Ah, I see what you're thinking. I think, if I wasn't going
to float the panel, I would simply edge-band it with poplar
(or whatever hardwood was handy, since it'll be painted),
thick enough to hold the hinge screws but no more. I would
miter it, altho as you say since the banding isn't structural
it could just be butted.

Well, stryped should certainly have plenty of different ideas
on how to solve his problem now :-)

John
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
[...]

The garage cabinets are very important as they make a great difference to the appearance of your workspace as well as promoting the longevity and functionality of your cabinets. It is recomended to apply one thin coat of gloss on top of the dried primer. If the correct color of undercoat has been used, this should provide ample coverage.

Re-paint new kraftmaid cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 31st 20 03:31 PM
Garage Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 29th 08 04:17 AM
Garage Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 28th 08 01:25 AM
Garage Cabinets Roemax Woodworking 0 March 28th 08 01:04 AM
Garage Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 6 March 27th 08 07:36 PM