Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Fright VS Woodcraft

In a recent conversation where I asked about Woodcraft as a vendor mention
was made of HF having some of the exact same products with different
labeling.

I would note that I have observed over the last few years that the quality
of HF products is dropping off. Also the selection. So, do not assume an
HF product that was adequate before still will be today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2014 10:06 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
In a recent conversation where I asked about Woodcraft as a vendor
mention was made of HF having some of the exact same products with
different labeling.

I would note that I have observed over the last few years that the
quality of HF products is dropping off. Also the selection. So, do not
assume an HF product that was adequate before still will be today.

Some are getting worse, and some are getting better.

Yes the selection has dropped. But be aware that there are products that
are only mail order. There website does not show all products either.
Which is wierd. Sometimes it is mistakenly removed from the site,
sometimes by a new product.

I ordered clear 4" hose for my dust collector, only available online.
Not in store. Way cheaper than Woodcraft or anyone else for that
matter, and the quality is excellent.

They used to have a few tools that are no longer available, and I wish were.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2014 10:06 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
In a recent conversation where I asked about Woodcraft as a vendor
mention was made of HF having some of the exact same products with
different labeling.

I would note that I have observed over the last few years that the
quality of HF products is dropping off. Also the selection. So, do not
assume an HF product that was adequate before still will be today.

IMO, in years past, HF products were mostly all crap. In recent years
(about 10) and now, HF products are mostly good quality. Yes, there are
a few products which are still crap, but overall, their products have
held up to the test of time.

Also, years ago, they had more woodworking products but as you stated,
that selection has died for whatever reason. I have purchased a few
woodworking products which I still use today.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Meanie" wrote in message
On 11/24/2014 10:06 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
In a recent conversation where I asked about Woodcraft as a vendor
mention was made of HF having some of the exact same products with
different labeling.

I would note that I have observed over the last few years that the
quality of HF products is dropping off. Also the selection. So, do not
assume an HF product that was adequate before still will be today.

IMO, in years past, HF products were mostly all crap. In recent years
(about 10) and now, HF products are mostly good quality. Yes, there are a
few products which are still crap, but overall, their products have held
up to the test of time.

Also, years ago, they had more woodworking products but as you stated,
that selection has died for whatever reason. I have purchased a few
woodworking products which I still use today.

We must be looking at different tools then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Meanie
wrote:

On 11/24/2014 10:06 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
In a recent conversation where I asked about Woodcraft as a vendor
mention was made of HF having some of the exact same products with
different labeling.

I would note that I have observed over the last few years that the
quality of HF products is dropping off. Also the selection. So, do not
assume an HF product that was adequate before still will be today.

IMO, in years past, HF products were mostly all crap. In recent years
(about 10) and now, HF products are mostly good quality. Yes, there are
a few products which are still crap, but overall, their products have
held up to the test of time.

Also, years ago, they had more woodworking products but as you stated,
that selection has died for whatever reason. I have purchased a few
woodworking products which I still use today.

I tend to agree, I think HF has crept up in quality (they could hardly
go down).
Their selection of tools follows customer buying trends, woodworking has
declined in popularity.

That being said, HF is still my choice for disposable tools. If the tool
is something I need once or twice a year (like the 18 inch "crescent"
wrench). I go to HF.

I also get tools like the right-angle drill I use for (lathe)
power-sanding. For $29.95 (plus 20% off coupon) I get a sander I can
toss when sawdust eats the motor

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:45:02 -0500
Meanie wrote:

IMO, in years past, HF products were mostly all crap. In recent years
(about 10) and now, HF products are mostly good quality. Yes, there
are a few products which are still crap, but overall, their products
have held up to the test of time.

China has improved across the board. The bikes used to be very sketchy
but they figured it out with help from the bike industry. They now
can make very good bikes. Yes they still know how to make junk
because people will still buy junk. The same applies to tools.

There's also a sweet-spot price-point. It's that price where they
can still make some money but the consumer will not bother returning
the tool due to the low price. Some manufacturers still gladly fill
that niche.

I still like buying old used tools made in U.S.A. if possible.
But can't always of course.