Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flaw Repair

From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

For some small flaws I've repaired, rather than mix the sawdust with glue, I've mix it with shellac or with the finish I'll be applying.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

For some small flaws I've repaired, rather than mix the sawdust with glue, I've mix it with shellac or with the finish I'll be applying.

Sonny

Color me confused. If I mix sawdust with glue (what kind, BTW?) to fill
a hole, have I not created a spot that won't take stain or even finish?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:14:44 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

For some small flaws I've repaired, rather than mix the sawdust with glue, I've mix it with shellac or with the finish I'll be applying.

Sonny

Color me confused. If I mix sawdust with glue (what kind, BTW?) to fill
a hole, have I not created a spot that won't take stain or even finish?

That's the idea behind the sawdust. It's supposed to take the finish
the same way as the surrounding wood. Well, that's the theory,
anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

For some small flaws I've repaired, rather than mix the sawdust with glue, I've mix it with shellac or with the finish I'll be applying.

Sonny

Color me confused. If I mix sawdust with glue (what kind, BTW?) to fill
a hole, have I not created a spot that won't take stain or even finish?

That's the idea behind the sawdust. It's supposed to take the finish
the same way as the surrounding wood. Well, that's the theory,
anyway.

I get that. But if I get a fingerprint of glue on my project, that area will resist the finish, won't it? Can someone explain what's different about mixing sawdust with glue? Why does the sawdust take the finish in that case?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett
wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

[...]

The idea is to use as little glue as possible... to make a dry wood
dough rather than a soup. A penetrating finish will indeed not penetrate
and thus will not color the glue in the mixture. But ideally, there is
so little glue that it's not a big issue, and the wood fibers will still
accept stains and topcoats (usually even more readily than the
surrounding, unmolested wood surface). To make any flaw repair takes
patience, practice, and testing, but it's still not an exact science.
Many people, however, find this to be a better method than 'stainable'
ready-made wood putty (i.e., 'plastic wood') products which are often
marketed as (but rarely are) a perfect one-size-fits-all solution.

And FWIW, I would never take advice from anybody with a shop as clean
and organized as the one in that video. When I'm working on a project,
there is never any need to 'make' sawdust to use for filler.

JP

--
This is my signature. Really. I'm not kidding. Stop reading now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

For some small flaws I've repaired, rather than mix the sawdust with
glue, I've mix it with shellac or with the finish I'll be applying.
Sonny

Color me confused. If I mix sawdust with glue (what kind, BTW?) to fill
a hole, have I not created a spot that won't take stain or even finish?

NP with finish, can't say about stain as I rarely use it but I suspect it
would depend largely upon how you mixed the filler. Minimum glue to keep
the sawdust together. Those, after sanding, finish with a greyish brown
color. How obvious it would be would depend largely upon their size.

The color is much better if I first sand and then use my finger to wipe on
a thin film of glue then sand again while the glue is still wet.

Like Sonny, I sometimes use a finish (lacquer, usually) as a binder.
Those wind up dark, almost like walnut

For larger things like open knots I use a mix of sawdust, sanding dust
and - sometimes - crumbled up joiner chips with white glue. Those wind up
looking a lot like particle board.

All repairs such as these can be made pretty much invisible if one wants
to take the time to do so. One does so by using a fine, round artist
brush to add color and recreate/continue the wood colors and grain. By
size, I mean 000 or 00. Small. The color can be anything...oil paint,
artist or house...stain...even water colors liket hose found in grade
schools. One does not paint on the colors, one stipples them in.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 11/1/2014 5:04 AM, John Paquay wrote:

And FWIW, I would never take advice from anybody with a shop as clean
and organized as the one in that video. When I'm working on a project,
there is never any need to 'make' sawdust to use for filler.

JP

Another Internet Expert. The only tool they ever use is a keyboard. I
wonder how long it took him to find those little bags of sawdust on
line.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

[...]

The idea is that there is sawdust on the surface. The glue is not
supposed to be slopped in like bondo with a little wood filler. You're
right, if there is no wood at the surface to take the finish, it's
going to look like glue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Paquay" wrote in message

And FWIW, I would never take advice from anybody with a shop as clean and
organized as the one in that video. When I'm working on a project, there
is never any need to 'make' sawdust to use for filler.

ROFL

Amen.

Centrifugal fan design flaw. Molly Brown Home Repair 16 January 5th 11 01:47 AM
Sanding concrete flaw in driveway ... [email protected] Home Repair 7 May 9th 08 03:30 AM
TV flaw ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ Electronics 3 July 16th 06 02:28 PM
Windows WMF Security Flaw RicodJour Home Repair 5 January 4th 06 08:49 PM
FIX ANNOUNCED FOR WMF SECURITY FLAW www.seph.ca Home Repair 2 January 3rd 06 11:17 PM