Posted to rec.woodworking

Default white Melamine cabinets

My kitchen has 15 year old white Melamine covered cabinets. There are several spots, areas on the cabinets where the white Melamine has come off and the underlying particle board is showing. Not large areas but they are a few inches long and an inch high. Mainly at rail and stile edges where the different pieces meet. Only on the kitchen base cabinet. Probably because this is the most used cabinet and sees water from the sink splashing over the counter.

How to fix, cover up the missing white Melamine spots? Paint?
Posted to rec.woodworking

The easiest way to handle this is, well... easy.

Remove the peeling plastic to the point that it is adhered well to the underlying MDF. Clean the repair surfaces with mineral spirits. Nothing stronger... that post formed product vacuumed formed onto your doors is really just a soft plastic.

Now think "repair". Go to Home Depot and buy the small package of "Bondo" and put it on the rough, exposed MDF surface. Sand down the Bondo after it dries, feather out your sanded surfaces until they are smooth.

Now sand the whole door very lightly with very fine sand paper. Clean the door to remove every bit of everything that is on it with mineral spirits. Avoid your Bondo areas as it will cause the Bondo to chalk, and since it is new, it doesn't need to be any cleaner than a quick wipe to remove sanding dust.

Put a couple or three coats of this type of paint on the entire door. You patch may not disappear, but it should come close:

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-...-plastic-spray

Krylon is owned by Rustoleum, and they sell this paint in a few colors at Home Depot, and more color under different names at a paint store. This stuff works! I have used it before and it actually sticks to plastic and resin well if applied properly as directed. Plan on two coats, minimum. It is imperative that your plastic surfaces be perfectly, 100% clean before you start so don't use anything but mineral spirits. No soap, no 409, nothing but mineral spirits.

Good luck!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/18/2014 9:41 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/18/2014 12:32 PM, wrote:
My kitchen has 15 year old white Melamine covered cabinets. There
are several spots, areas on the cabinets where the white Melamine
has come off and the underlying particle board is showing. Not
large areas but they are a few inches long and an inch high. Mainly
at rail and stile edges where the different pieces meet. Only on
the kitchen base cabinet. Probably because this is the most used
cabinet and sees water from the sink splashing over the counter. How
to fix, cover up the missing white Melamine spots? Paint?

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/fas...cover-caps.asp

Really badly written web page that does not scroll properly by any
definition. They've got to put up a better web page than thqt if they
expect any attention.

They are actually quite successful, aside from that I have not noticed a
problem but then again I am there for information vs. critiquing. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/18/2014 12:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

Just got frustrated because I had tried to view the page and gave up after
several minutes of trying to scroll down it. Finally just walked away from
it. But then... this morning (the page was still open), it was working just
fine for me. Go figure...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2014 8:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Just got frustrated because I had tried to view the page and gave up after
several minutes of trying to scroll down it. Finally just walked away from
it. But then... this morning (the page was still open), it was working just
fine for me. Go figure...

Wouldn't load at all for me.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/18/2014 12:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

Understood. I just tried again and it seemed fine, but I do not not
doubt your findings.

Have you checked to see if your internet filter is full? You may have
reached the end of the internet. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 19, 2014 9:43:10 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Understood. I just tried again and it seemed fine, but I do not not

doubt your findings.

Have you checked to see if your internet filter is full? You may have

reached the end of the internet. :~)

Awwww..... dammit Leon..... I had a cup of coffee in my hand when I read that and I laughed so hard I almost spilled it! Still laughing!

I just have a perfect picture of a somber faced man telling another, "we may have reached the end of the internet..."

Too damn funny!

On that site, I noticed that they sell mostly "dots" or caps. I was wondering how you would repair an area that was "Not large areas but they are a few inches long and an inch high."

IF it was a few inches long by an inch, that would be a lot of "dots"! Might look like someone spilled confetti on the repair!

*still chuckling* end of the internet... Hah!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2014 2:13 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 19, 2014 9:43:10 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Understood. I just tried again and it seemed fine, but I do not not

doubt your findings.

Have you checked to see if your internet filter is full? You may have

reached the end of the internet. :~)

Awwww..... dammit Leon..... I had a cup of coffee in my hand when I read that and I laughed so hard I almost spilled it! Still laughing!

I just have a perfect picture of a somber faced man telling another, "we may have reached the end of the internet..."

Too damn funny!

I give credit for that comment to Swingman and my father. Several years
ago my dad could no longer receive e-mail on Outlook Express. I spent
hours trying to remedy the problem and even had an ATT rep involved.

Then I noticed my dad's in-box. Apparently Outlool Express is not
capable of receiving and holding 30~40 e-mails per day every day for 4
straight years. His in-box had thousands and thousands and thousands of
e-mails.

The ATT rep mentioned that my father may have reached Outlooks limits,
Swingman said that my dad reached the end of the internet.

On that site, I noticed that they sell mostly "dots" or caps. I was wondering how you would repair an area that was "Not large areas but they are a few inches long and an inch high."

IF it was a few inches long by an inch, that would be a lot of "dots"! Might look like someone spilled confetti on the repair!

In that case use White-Out. ;~)

*still chuckling* end of the internet... Hah!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

snip
Krylon is owned by Rustoleum, and they sell this paint in a few colors
at Home Depot, and more color under different names at a paint store.
snip

Robert, SFWIW, the last time I checked, Krylon with headquarters
in Bedford Hts (Cleveland suburb), is part of Sherwin Williams, also
headquartered in Cleveland, OH.

Rustoleum, is headquartered outside Chicago, but is owned by RPM,
a holding company located in a big old farm house located in the
middle of a farm that runs adjacent to US-42 between Brunswick, OH
and Medina, OH.

RPM also owns Zinsser along with a flock of very profitable specialty
chemical companies.

Now, bet you didn't know how you were going to make it thru
Friday afternoon until I posted all that info.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2014 8:44 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2014 8:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Just got frustrated because I had tried to view the page and gave up
after
several minutes of trying to scroll down it. Finally just walked away
from
it. But then... this morning (the page was still open), it was
working just
fine for me. Go figure...

Wouldn't load at all for me.

I didn't try. Is it Java - not normally loaded ?

Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/18/2014 12:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

I just remembered, try a different browser. Sometimes Chrome, my normal
browser, will not load a page. I go to Firefox and it works fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I just remembered, try a different browser. Sometimes Chrome, my
normal browser, will not load a page. I go to Firefox and it works
fine.

I just stick with Firefox because it has consistently been the browser that
has worked for just about everything except for Microsoft sites.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 08:22:11 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Leon wrote:

I just remembered, try a different browser. Sometimes Chrome, my
normal browser, will not load a page. I go to Firefox and it works
fine.

I just stick with Firefox because it has consistently been the browser that
has worked for just about everything except for Microsoft sites.

Same here, though there are some that still demand IE. At work, some
require IE and some anything else but. Is our IT organization good,
or what?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 19, 2014 2:13:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On that site, I noticed that they sell mostly "dots" or caps. I was wondering how you would repair an area that was "Not large areas but they are a few inches long and an inch high."

IF it was a few inches long by an inch, that would be a lot of "dots"! Might look like someone spilled confetti on the repair!

Robert

The website Leon referenced also sells 6 inch by 6 inch squares in addition to the dots. I presume you can cut the material with scissors. If I go this route I would buy the 6"x6" squares and cut them to size to fit the blemished areas. I think slim rectangles stretching clear across the rails and stiles would be less visible than dots here and there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:45:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The website Leon referenced also sells 6 inch by 6 inch squares in addition to the dots. I presume you can cut the material with scissors. If I go this route I would buy the 6"x6" squares and cut them to size to fit the blemished areas. I think slim rectangles stretching clear across the rails and stiles would be less visible than dots here and there.

Just remember, you are essentially buying self adhering vinyl strips. Think friction tape. With no feathering of edges of the repair, the missing vinyl will reflect right through the tape. The of course, you will have the raised edge of the tape you apply as well...

Be interesting to see what you think of this repair using that vinyl. Seriously, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 19, 2014 8:01:40 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Now, bet you didn't know how you were going to make it thru

Friday afternoon until I posted all that info.

Lew

Hah! Showed you! Made it all the way to Sunday morning! I had no idea that Sherwin Williams was so diverse and owned so much. Makers of Sears paints including their Weatherbeater line? Who knew?

But owners of the Purdy brush line, Minwax (!!??), Dutch Boy Paints, and the knockout for me, Pratt and Lambert! And that's just part of it.

Had no idea they owned Krylon, though. Somewhere in the dense fog of my memory it seemed that I had heard Rustoleum bought them, no S/W, but clearly not the case. Thanks for the info.

Robert