Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fence Gate

My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's dragging
on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off a couple of
inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but I'd like to make
sure the gate will stay in good condition.

I'm not impressed with the way the gate was built, it looks almost as if
they cut the fence, added a diagonal brace and hinges. (No pictures, the
gate and I are in two different states.)

If I rebuild the gate, how should I go about it? I've found only a little
bit on the Internet about building a wood gate.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's dragging
on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off a couple of
inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but I'd like to make
sure the gate will stay in good condition.

I'm not impressed with the way the gate was built, it looks almost as if
they cut the fence, added a diagonal brace and hinges. (No pictures, the
gate and I are in two different states.)

If I rebuild the gate, how should I go about it? I've found only a little
bit on the Internet about building a wood gate.

Puckdropper

I seem to recall wooden gates addressed in Paul Hasluck's
treatise on woodworking (ala 1904, or so). Maybe you already have
it on one of your shelves?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's
dragging
on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off a
couple of
inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but I'd like to
make
sure the gate will stay in good condition.

I'm not impressed with the way the gate was built, it looks almost
as if
they cut the fence, added a diagonal brace and hinges. (No
pictures, the
gate and I are in two different states.)

If I rebuild the gate, how should I go about it? I've found only a
little
bit on the Internet about building a wood gate.

First build the post so it will support the cantilever load presented
by the gate.

Make sure it extends to the bottom of the frost line.

These days, guess it is gravel not concrete that is used to hold
the post in place.

As far as the gate is concerned, equip it with a turnbuckle that
runs from lower outer corner to upper inner corner and pivots at
the post where it is secured.

An eyebolt mounted thru the post will work.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/13/2014 7:09 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's dragging
on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off a couple of
inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but I'd like to make
sure the gate will stay in good condition.

I'm not impressed with the way the gate was built, it looks almost as if
they cut the fence, added a diagonal brace and hinges. (No pictures, the
gate and I are in two different states.)

If I rebuild the gate, how should I go about it? I've found only a little
bit on the Internet about building a wood gate.

Puckdropper

HD sells a "gate kit". It consists of 4 corner angle brackets and two
of them have hinges. You build a 2x4 frame around the brackets and then
attach the pickets to the assembly. These simply do not sag.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's
dragging on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off
a couple of inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but
I'd like to make sure the gate will stay in good condition.

As Lew suggested, make sure the post the gate is mounted
to is solid. In my experience, most gates that drag do
so because the post is leaning - it doesn't take much
tilt in the post to drop the far end of the gate an inch.

Personally I prefer gates that are framed with a Z to
using a wire & turnbuckle for the diagonal (a wood
diagonal won't stretch), but that's more asthetics than
a functional difference.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gate fence post is important....Is it sturdy?
Hinges next....are they secure?
Cross bracing, and some small through bolts....carriage type.
1/4 " or 3/8" will stop sagging.
Some can use a wire and a turn buckle.......
Plywood on one side.....
all some ideas......
Corner angles.....another thought.
they come in all sizes and shapes...
john

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

My aunt has a wooden gate on a wooden fence about 4-5' wide. It's dragging
on the ground and the pickets are coming off. I can cut off a couple of
inches from the pickets so it won't drag any longer, but I'd like to make
sure the gate will stay in good condition.

I'm not impressed with the way the gate was built, it looks almost as if
they cut the fence, added a diagonal brace and hinges. (No pictures, the
gate and I are in two different states.)

If I rebuild the gate, how should I go about it? I've found only a little
bit on the Internet about building a wood gate.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

HD sells a "gate kit". It consists of 4 corner angle brackets and two
of them have hinges. You build a 2x4 frame around the brackets and
then attach the pickets to the assembly. These simply do not sag.

I think I found the one you were talking about. Reviews on Home Depot's
site have been less than stellar. Have you used many of these gate kits?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2014 12:30 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

HD sells a "gate kit". It consists of 4 corner angle brackets and two
of them have hinges. You build a 2x4 frame around the brackets and
then attach the pickets to the assembly. These simply do not sag.

I think I found the one you were talking about. Reviews on Home Depot's
site have been less than stellar. Have you used many of these gate kits?

Puckdropper

This one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-No-...2614/100020199

And this is an excellent HD latch

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Del...8116/202042257

Yes, I have installed probably 8~10 of these. The instructions are less
that stellar and sometimes the 2x4's are a tight fit at the hinges but
once assembled and installed I have never seen one of these gates sag again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
This one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-No-...racket-Kit-261
4/100020199

And this is an excellent HD latch

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Del...8116/202042257

Yes, I have installed probably 8~10 of these. The instructions are
less that stellar and sometimes the 2x4's are a tight fit at the
hinges but once assembled and installed I have never seen one of these
gates sag again.

That was the one. I'll just have to be careful assembling it.

Do you recommend replacing the screws like many of the others did?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2014 11:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news
This one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-No-...racket-Kit-261
4/100020199

And this is an excellent HD latch

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Del...8116/202042257

Yes, I have installed probably 8~10 of these. The instructions are
less that stellar and sometimes the 2x4's are a tight fit at the
hinges but once assembled and installed I have never seen one of these
gates sag again.

That was the one. I'll just have to be careful assembling it.

Do you recommend replacing the screws like many of the others did?

Puckdropper

Your 2x4 may be too wide to fit between the bracket and the hinge.
Simply plane off some of the 2x4 to fit.

Either predrill for the screws and or use a better grade. IIRC I always
used long washer head pocket hole screws, coarse thread. I was always
trying to use square drive to guard against stripping the heads.

AND one more thing, if you go with the latch that I mentioned above keep
in mind that if gits between the end/side of the gate and the post.
Don't fit the gate to fit too snugly to the latch post.

Member

You project seems to be good.Wooden gates are more beautiful as compare to aluminum or other materials. I am always interested in the use of wooden products as compare to others.
What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see

Last edited by stockbrokers : September 18th 14 at 12:21 PM

fence gate decorative window [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 24th 07 10:16 PM
Fence Gate Stoutman Woodworking 9 May 14th 07 08:02 PM
OT? Size of fence gate? Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 2 September 5th 06 05:13 PM
Lattice fence and gate [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 8th 06 04:13 AM
Fence/Gate repair C. Massey Home Repair 2 November 29th 05 05:46 AM