Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Camping Table Plans?

I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not backpacking).
Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I might as
well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate or
something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here already
has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2014 6:55 PM, HerHusband wrote:
I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not backpacking).
Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I might as
well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate or
something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here already
has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I have a table like that, it rolls up. You could do the same of all wood
and some canvas strapping.

Interested? I'll take a pic.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 18, 2014 5:55:22 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.

Why not just make a folding seat/stool? Essentially the same thing.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2014 6:55 PM, HerHusband wrote:
I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not backpacking).
Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I might as
well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate or
something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here already
has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

My father made a table/stool for the same purpose. He made a wooden
top and attached to rods. The rods connected to two X's. One side of
the top was attached to on side of the two X's There was another rod in
the other X's side.

When folded the X;s collapsed against the top. To open you lifted the
top, and the side of the X's with the rod fit into a slot in the bottom
of the top.

If you think about it you can see it better.

He used it for many years, and I believe it was sold when Mom gave up
the house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2014 3:55 PM, HerHusband wrote:
I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not backpacking).
Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I might as
well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate or
something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here already
has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I made one, that I still have. Made it out of metal, tho. Hollow
tubing. Made it specifically to hold a 3 burner Coleman stove and a
small Weber grill. A little space was left over. Design your table for
what you are going to use on top of it, and you won't be out trying to
find "stuff" that fits on top in any semblance of order.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote in
:

I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not
backpacking). Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I
might as well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate
or something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here
already has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I've seen designs where turned legs have a screw thread on top. The
table would then have some sort of metal insert that the screws would
thread in to.

You can use hangar bolts (wood thread on one side, machine thread on the
other) for the legs. As for the metal insert, that will take some
looking around. Insert nuts or a nut and some epoxy would be a place to
start.

You may need to gently splay the legs out 5 degrees or so, but I don't
know for sure. I wouldn't imagine a camp stove would be too heavy... but
a human is. (Something that size would be easy to use as a step stool or
seat.)

I'd probably figure out some way to make the legs store with the table,
so the entire thing can be taken as one unit.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HerHusband" wrote in message

I would like to build a small table to take car camping
(not backpacking). Something approximately 16" wide x 12"
deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in
the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble.
Otherwise, I might as well just buy a commercial camp
table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and
maybe a plate or something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if
anyone here already has plans for a small table like this?

Piece of plywood, four lengths of 3/4 or 1" dowel. Drill holes in ply for
dowels but not all the way through.

If the legs are too wobbly use a 1x2 or 2x2 to frame or corner to thicken so
the hole is deeper.

If still too wobbly, insert legs, drill a 1/4" hole from top down into the
legs but drill it slightly off center; remove legs, glue in dowel. Now you
can insert legs, twist them and they will cam tightly into their socket.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 18, 2014 11:59:25 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I've seen designs where turned legs have a screw thread on top.
You can use hangar bolts (wood thread on one side, machine thread on the other) for the legs.
As for the metal insert, that will take some looking around. Insert nuts or a nut ....

"T" nuts? Used in many cases for hanger bolt and similar applications. Lots of T nut use on upholstered pieces and, of coruse, they come in various sizes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=t+nu...I7MXGB_enUS512

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Piece of plywood, four lengths of 3/4 or 1" dowel. Drill holes in ply
for dowels but not all the way through.
If the legs are too wobbly use a 1x2 or 2x2 to frame or corner to
thicken so the hole is deeper.
If still too wobbly, insert legs, drill a 1/4" hole from top down into
the legs but drill it slightly off center; remove legs, glue in dowel.
Now you can insert legs, twist them and they will cam tightly into
their socket.

I was thinking something similar, maybe with T-nuts in the table, and
hanger bolts screwed into the legs. Then I could just screw the legs in to
setup the table. Of course, I would have to figure out a way to stow the
loose parts.

Heck, I'm almost thinking of edging a simple piece of plywood and setting
it on top of our cooler. It would be the right height, and would protect
the cooler from any heat the stove might put off. Still, it would be nice
to leave the cooler separate so we could still get into it.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

On Friday, April 18, 2014 11:59:25 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I've seen designs where turned legs have a screw thread on top.
You can use hangar bolts (wood thread on one side, machine thread on
the other) for the legs. As for the metal insert, that will take some
looking around. Insert nuts or a nut ....

"T" nuts? Used in many cases for hanger bolt and similar
applications. Lots of T nut use on upholstered pieces and, of coruse,
they come in various sizes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=t+nu...en-us:IE-Addre
ss&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7MXGB_enUS512

Sonny

I prefer insert nuts for most places T-nuts are used:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware...=3,41306,45375

T-nuts are prone to fall out as the wood fibers start compressing, while
insert nuts work more like a screw and are much less likely to fall out.

Insert nuts do have a tendency to back out with the screw if tightened too
tightly. For a portable table, though, there's no need to turn the leg
past snug.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote in
:

I was thinking something similar, maybe with T-nuts in the table, and
hanger bolts screwed into the legs. Then I could just screw the legs
in to setup the table. Of course, I would have to figure out a way to
stow the loose parts.

Heck, I'm almost thinking of edging a simple piece of plywood and
setting it on top of our cooler. It would be the right height, and
would protect the cooler from any heat the stove might put off. Still,
it would be nice to leave the cooler separate so we could still get
into it.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

If you put an apron under the table, then you could install some extra
hardware in the apron and screw the legs into that. The legs would be
oriented parallel to the table top rather than perpendicular to it.

A little extra thought and you could use some of the under-table space
for things like a firestick or flash light & batteries. Maybe a little
table cloth for that table. (If it's not broken, it doesn't have enough
features yet!)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Apr 2014 17:32:22 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Sonny wrote in
:

[...]

With a t-nut samdwiched between 2 layers of wood it is virtually
impossible for it to work loose or come out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HerHusband" wrote in message

Piece of plywood, four lengths of 3/4 or 1" dowel.
Drill holes in ply for dowels but not all the way
through.
If the legs are too wobbly use a 1x2 or 2x2 to frame or
corner to thicken so the hole is deeper.
If still too wobbly, insert legs, drill a 1/4" hole
from top down into the legs but drill it slightly off
center; remove legs, glue in dowel. Now you can insert
legs, twist them and they will cam tightly into their
socket.

I was thinking something similar, maybe with T-nuts in
the table, and hanger bolts screwed into the legs. Then I
could just screw the legs in to setup the table. Of
course, I would have to figure out a way to stow the
loose parts.

Shock cord on the bottom.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:05:55 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

Someplace I have plans to make a table like that out of a single
sheet of 1/2" plywood. It knocks down and stores flat and uses NO
fasteners, and NO glue.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Watch the line wrap....

https://www.google.com/search?q=rend...plans&tbm=isch

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:55:22 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not backpacking).
Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I might as
well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate or
something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here already
has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Watch the line wrap....

https://www.google.com/search?q=rend...m=isch&tbo=u&s
ource=univ&sa=X&ei=B6NUU9mDCo-nsASf-4BA&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=618#q
=folding+slat+table+plans&tbm=isch

Yep, I already did the Google searches...

I don't care for the "X" leg designs that look like the old TV trays.

Something like this one would be nice, except the height would be lower
unless I made the table wide enough to accomodate longer legs:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...796660,00.html

I'm not expecting to use this much, so I don't really want to invest a lot
of time, effort, or expense on it.

I'm still tossing around a few ideas. Thanks for the feedback!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:24:14 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Watch the line wrap....

https://www.google.com/search?q=rend...m=isch&tbo=u&s
ource=univ&sa=X&ei=B6NUU9mDCo-nsASf-4BA&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=618#q
=folding+slat+table+plans&tbm=isch

Yep, I already did the Google searches...

I don't care for the "X" leg designs that look like the old TV trays.

Something like this one would be nice, except the height would be lower
unless I made the table wide enough to accomodate longer legs:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...796660,00.html

I'm not expecting to use this much, so I don't really want to invest a lot
of time, effort, or expense on it.

I'm still tossing around a few ideas. Thanks for the feedback!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

We've been using the X leg "rendezvous" tables since the late 70's, and I still
have a couple I bought back then. I made up bottom shelves with cleats that fit
across the stringers and hold the shelves in place. Turned out more useful than
I thought. I made one out of Ipe from a scrap pallet that really does look
nice, but weighs a ton. Been using that since about 88. Good luck in your
search. Post pics when you make what you want. Might be something I want to
use myself.

BTW, I have a small folding camp grill that is very similar to the type of table
in your picture. My grill is much smaller though at about 6 inches square.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy,

I don't care for the "X" leg designs that look like the old TV trays.

We've been using the X leg "rendezvous" tables since the late 70's,
and I still have a couple I bought back then.

Good luck in your search. Post pics when you make what you want.

After looking at a number of different options, I think I'm going to build
a knockdown style table. Mainly because I already have several pieces of
scrap plywood sitting around, and won't need to buy any kind of hardware
for it (hinges, T-nuts, or whatever).

I drew up some crude plans and am heading out to the shop this afternoon to
see how it works out. If all goes as planned, it will knock down to five
small plywood panels. I will post pics when I get it finished.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy,

I would like to build a small table to take car camping.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

Post pics when you make what you want.

Here is what I ended up building:

http://www.watsondiy.com/campingtable.htm

I made it from scrap plywood cutoffs and leftover finishing materials, so
it didn't cost me anything to build it.

I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2014 5:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"HerHusband" wrote:

Roy,

I would like to build a small table to take car camping.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

Post pics when you make what you want.

Here is what I ended up building:

http://www.watsondiy.com/campingtable.htm

Neat

Lew

That looks like a nice workable solution

Is there some way to connect the pieces, (short pieces of Chain? ) so
when you get to the campsite you will be sure to have all of the pieces?

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

Here is what I ended up building:

http://www.watsondiy.com/campingtable.htm

I made it from scrap plywood cutoffs and leftover finishing
materials, so it didn't cost me anything to build it.

I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Nice little table.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith,

Here is what I ended up building:
http://www.watsondiy.com/campingtable.htm

Is there some way to connect the pieces, (short pieces of Chain?)
so when you get to the campsite you will be sure to have all of
the pieces?

My initial plan was to sew up a cloth bag I could use to store and protect
the pieces. I'm not sure if I'll take the time to do that or not.

I also thought about wrapping the collapsed bundle with a couple of straps
to hold them together. I suppose your could use that plastic wrap they wrap
pallet loads with if you have some handy.

Another option might be to stick velcro to all of the pieces so they could
simply stick together.

For now, I already have a storage container that I keep other camping
supplies in (tent stakes, tarp, etc.). There's plenty of room to store the
four base panels in the container, then I can set the table top on the lid
of the container.

There's only five panels total, so it's pretty easy to keep it all
together.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HerHusband" wrote:

My initial plan was to sew up a cloth bag I could use to store and
protect
the pieces. I'm not sure if I'll take the time to do that or not.

snip
SFWIW, I used to go to the fabric store and buy a couple of yards of
the
ugliest awning fabric I could find and then sew up duffle bags.

Each person who was crewing on the boat that week would than
have their own uniquely colored bag for their "stuff".

Going to weather in a pitching boat at 0400 on a pitch black night,
you appreciate being able to find something with the aid of a unique
color duffle bag.

The fabric was almost always a "Rem" which meant cheap
and the sewing was simple.

A designated duffle for this table would be straight forward.

BTW, forgot to mention, might want to break the corners of the
table top to say 1/2" radius.

The corners would not then get hung up in the duffle bag.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew,

A designated duffle for this table would be straight forward.

Yep. I've done my share of sewing from upholstery for my car, to a bath
robe for my wife. A tote bag would be a no-brainer.

The only catch is that I bought my wife a new sewing machine, and so far
she hasn't let me use it. She told me I had to use the old broken one.

BTW, forgot to mention, might want to break the corners of the
table top to say 1/2" radius.
The corners would not then get hung up in the duffle bag.

I'm not sure why I didn't round over the top corners like I did the
stretchers. No biggy. I don't think it would be a problem though, as I
rounded over all edges of the panels so there's no sharp edges to catch on
anything.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
Lew,

A designated duffle for this table would be straight forward.

Yep. I've done my share of sewing from upholstery for my car, to a
bath robe for my wife. A tote bag would be a no-brainer.

The only catch is that I bought my wife a new sewing machine, and so
far she hasn't let me use it. She told me I had to use the old broken
one.

I do not do much sewing, but I have knocked out a few draw string bags that
I use for hunting, golf, etc. I soooooooo understand the last comment above
though. My wife will not let me within arms reach of her janomi - I have to
use the old what-ever-it-is machine. Go figure...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike,

Yep. I've done my share of sewing from upholstery for my car, to a
bath robe for my wife. A tote bag would be a no-brainer.
The only catch is that I bought my wife a new sewing machine, and so
far she hasn't let me use it. She told me I had to use the old broken
one.

I do not do much sewing, but I have knocked out a few draw string bags
that I use for hunting, golf, etc. I soooooooo understand the last
comment above though. My wife will not let me within arms reach of
her janomi - I have to use the old what-ever-it-is machine.

Funny, I bought my wife a Janomi sewing machine for her birthday last year.
Our daughter has actually used it more than my wife, but she really likes
it so far.

Our old machine was a Singer model that was passed down from my mom. The
thing is built like a tank and weighs about as much. It's at least 30 years
old, if not older. Over time the alignment or something got off on it, the
needle doesn't always line up, the footer doesn't always work right, etc.
My wife says I broke it sewing through my thick upholstery materials. I
say nonsense, let me at that Janomi!

I haven't sewn anything for the last few years, but I do need to do some
uphostery work and make a new shift boot for my car. A bag for the camp
table would be a good refresher project to learn the new sewing machine.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

I haven't sewn anything for the last few years, but I do need to do
some uphostery work and make a new shift boot for my car. A bag for
the camp table would be a good refresher project to learn the new
sewing machine.

Just remember - pedal to the metal. My wife yells at me for stepping on the
gas pedal too much. What the hell - it's a gas pedal, right?

I am impressed by my wife's janomi though. Very well built - and built to
last. Hers is not the most computerized model available, but it does a lot
of stuff. She loves it - which is why she won't let me near it...

--

-Mike-

Router Table Plans Sam Spade Woodworking 19 February 25th 05 06:33 PM
Router table plans... Gene Woodworking 17 January 14th 05 09:43 PM
Router table plans Dusty Woodworking 3 January 21st 04 11:13 PM
router table plans Chris Miller Woodworking 6 September 9th 03 12:22 AM
i need router table plans j Woodworking 9 July 28th 03 02:49 PM