DeWalt #705 12" CMS at Costco

Old January 31st 14, 03:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default DeWalt #705 12" CMS at Costco

On 1/31/14, 8:38 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Costco is also proof that raising the minimum wage doesn't hurt
business (probably improves it, in fact).

scott

Not to get into a political debate, but, well.... here I go.....

I would argue the opposite. Costco is actually proof that the free
market works.
Costco pays higher than average wages for those positions and that's why
you never know which employee at Costco is the manager. They all act
like they are manager. They are all proactive, hard working, take
charge people who take pride in their work and put customer service at
the top of the priority list.

Costco gets these kind of employees by paying higher than average wage.
Everyone wants those jobs, so Costco gets to skim the cream of the crop
and send the rest to WalMart.

If Costco paid minimum wage, shopping there would be like shopping at
WalMart. A lot of lazy people with poor communication skills and bad
personalities, doing the bare minimum to get by, who act like you're
ruining their day for shopping there. The store would be dirty, the
shelves would be disorganized, it would take 10x as long to get through
their checkout lines, etc, etc.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart" and
Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old January 31st 14, 04:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2014 10:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I have to agree with that. It's because they pay more that people know
that they have a better job and work harder.. And they work harder to
get there.

Leveling everyone to that same money would be slighting the Costco
employees who are doing a better job for that money.

Just because everyone would make more, does not make them better off.
Prices would go up, and those that were making more, now need more to
re-enforce that they are worth more.

If everyone's pay went down by 1/2 then things would cost less.. right?
That's how come it's cheaper made in China and India right now.

So raising it, has the reverse effect.

NJ is an F'd up state approving cost of living increases for min wage.
This will severly hurt the state, as business can not budget correctly.

--
Jeff
Old January 31st 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Exactly! The only thing that raising minimum wage goes is raise the pay
to those that that make minimum wage to begin with. For 90% of the
people making minimum wage the productivity will not increase when they
get their raise. When that happens, prices have to rise to offset the
wage increase and you get inflation.

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will do
just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart" and
Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at Sam's. ;!)

Old February 1st 14, 03:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/14, 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Most Union contracts use minimum wage as the baseline. So when minimum
wage goes up, so does the entire union workforce which raises the price
of all that stuff, too.

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will
do just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart"
and Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at
Sam's. ;!)

We were there.... and switched to Costco. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old February 1st 14, 11:54 AM posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
Not that this isn't full of good information, but you guy do know that
you are responding to a 16 (SIXTEEN) year old thread, right?

Good stuff, but just wondering.

Personally, I have found the way to handle Sam's is to buy their nasty
cheap in store warranty. I had a monitor fail after about 9 months, and
my $5 warranty got me an in store exchange which turned out to be an
upgrade. I had a DVD player fail in about 6 months, same result.

The premiums are sliding scale of course, but all the items I have
purchased with that warranty stipulate in store replacement.

Heh heh... 16 years old...

Nothing dies on the internet!

Robert

I have no idea that DeWalt made CMS's 16 years ago. LOL
Old February 1st 14, 05:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:22:39 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/31/14, 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

All it means is that there will be fewer "shovel ready jobs".

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will
do just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart"
and Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at
Sam's. ;!)

We were there.... and switched to Costco. :-)

No Costco here but there is a BJs. Sams is much better. We had a
Costco membership when we were in VT. We let it lapse because we were
no longer using it (when the switched to the Kirkland brand and their
tire inventory went way down).