DIYbanter

DIYbanter (http://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Woodworking (http://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with these California Air Tools compressors (http://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/357210-anyone-have-experience-these-california-air-tools-compressors.html)

John Grossbohlin[_4_] May 30th 13 03:37 PM

What you see is not always real

"G. Ross" wrote in message

Saw a NO Name air compressor on the back of a truck yesterday. About a 20
gal tank, and the motor looked like a washing machine motor. 110v plug. In
big letters it said
5 hp.

The Craftsman stickers must have fallen off...

Leon[_7_] May 30th 13 03:43 PM

Anyone have experience with these California Air Tools compressors

On 5/29/2013 10:38 PM, tdacon wrote:
I'm looking for a small stationary compressor for my small garage/shop.
These don't look too bad, but haven't seen any reviews. The 2hp looks
pretty good for my applications. Fairly quiet. Any experience?

http://woodworker.com/california-air...ampaign=IRW52H

Thanks,
Tom

You might also take a look here, In the same price range and pretty
well known brands.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...essors+2-9-cfm

Wild_Bill May 30th 13 07:04 PM

Anyone have experience with these California Air Tools compressors

Weird, seems tobe working fine now.. and nothing's changes as far as the
computer.

The specs indicate it's imported, not likely a good sign.

Piston pumps are generally better than diaphram pumps.
I have some oil-less piston pumps that haven't been used much since I've had
'em but they were used when I got 'em, and they still perform well any time
I need them.
They're 1/4 or 1/3 HP and have a single cylinder on one end with maybe a 2"
piston (or slightly larger).
The valves are reed types and the rings are a slippery synthetic material..
the upper ring being a wide band rabbet-notched at the gap and the lower
being a width more comparable to a cast iron ring.
Similar units were sold under the brand Thomas (one is Pneumotive).
The one unit was presumably used a lot.. the centrifugal weight assembly was
badly worn but a local motor shop had a replacement.

The smaller capacity California unit doesn't have much air delivery, and
would be problematic with many air tools, but might be OK for a brad nailer
or stapler.
The 2HP unit has better secs for $400+ but specs are commonly exaggerated.

For a 1/2" impact wrench, most sanders and other common shop air tools, the
2HP unit may be barely adequate.
A larger displacement belt-driven air compressor would better serve future
tool expansion and also last longer.. maybe $100-200 more, approx $600 range
although some deals may be available in the $400-500 range.

The aluminum tanks aren't a valuable feature, IMO.. they're probably only
slightly lighter than steel (if lighter), and steel tanks will typically
last for decades if kept properly drained.

Without pics of the motor and pumps, they aren't revealing much.

--
WB

"tdacon" wrote in message
I'm looking for a small stationary compressor for my small garage/shop.
These don't look too bad, but haven't seen any reviews. The 2hp looks
pretty good for my applications. Fairly quiet. Any experience?

SNIP
/california-air-compressor-1hp-46-gal-alum-tank-mssu-165-470.asp?utm_source=promo&utm_medium=email&utm_cont ent=165470&utm_campaign=IRW52H

Thanks,
Tom

Pat Barber[_2_] May 30th 13 08:10 PM

"G. Ross" wrote in message

Saw a NO Name air compressor on the back of a truck yesterday. About
a 20 gal tank, and the motor looked like a washing machine motor. 110v
plug. In big letters it said
5 hp.

The Craftsman stickers must have fallen off...

No....the Craftsman are currently 6.5HP "peak".

I have a shop vac that can used to jump start jet engines
or blow shingles off the house.

Pat Barber[_2_] May 30th 13 08:18 PM

On 5/29/2013 8:38 PM, tdacon wrote:
I'm looking for a small stationary compressor for my small garage/shop.
These don't look too bad, but haven't seen any reviews. The 2hp looks
pretty good for my applications. Fairly quiet. Any experience?

http://woodworker.com/california-air...ampaign=IRW52H

While I do like Woodworker Supply, a "much" better choice would be
something along these lines:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-.../dp/B0001Q2VK0

Note this is a oil lubed cast iron unit. It is heavy as a mud fence
(61 lbs) but it is quiet and should last you a very long time.

There are other besides Makita but look for similar features.

The oil lube and cast iron are the big deals for any compressor.

John Grossbohlin[_4_] May 30th 13 08:22 PM

"Pat Barber" wrote in message ...

"G. Ross" wrote in message

Saw a NO Name air compressor on the back of a truck yesterday. About
a 20 gal tank, and the motor looked like a washing machine motor. 110v
plug. In big letters it said
5 hp.

The Craftsman stickers must have fallen off...

No....the Craftsman are currently 6.5HP "peak".

I have a shop vac that can used to jump start jet engines
or blow shingles off the house.

"Peak" is the instant before they burst into flames... or at least that is
what I figured when my Dremel tool burst into flames, in my hands, while
using down spiral bits to cut out drywall around electrical boxes. ;~)

Steve W.[_4_] May 30th 13 08:28 PM

"tdacon" wrote:
I'm looking for a small stationary compressor for my small
garage/shop. These don't look too bad, but haven't seen any
reviews. The 2hp looks pretty good for my applications. Fairly
quiet. Any experience?

http://woodworker.com/california-air...ampaign=IRW52H

Thanks, Tom

Looks like the Steele unit sold at Lowes. Except the Lowes rig is half
that price.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_447171-48533-SP-CE355TM_4294795218__?productId=4646161&Ns=p_produc t_qty_sales_dollar|1

--
Steve W.

Steve W.[_4_] May 30th 13 08:32 PM

Anyone have experience with these California Air Tools compressors

dpb wrote:
On 5/30/2013 8:39 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

At the opposite end of the scale is this one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-Horse...8-gal-125-PSI-
Portable-Air-Compressor-69667.html...
At $109 (sale), you can get THREE of them for the price of one from
California.

Lots of people here (or related to people here...) have experience
with this compressor and the next one up in size. Veritable work
horses for what most people here would put them through. Not
contractor grade, but then again most here don't need contractor
grade. This one is a safe bet.

Central Pneumatic 67501 Portable Air Compressor, 2 Horsepower, 8 Gallon,
125 PSI
2 Horsepower, 8 gal., 125 PSI Portable Air Compressor
Item # 67501

Only: $139.99
Sale: $119.99

Central Pneumatic 68740 Portable Air Compressor, 2 Horsepower, 8 Gallon,
125 PSI
2 Horsepower, 8 gal., 125 PSI Portable Air Compressor
Item # 68740

Only: $139.99
Sale: $119.99

Central Pneumatic 69667 Portable Air Compressor, 2 Horsepower, 8 Gallon,
125 PSI
2 Horsepower, 8 gal., 125 PSI Portable Air Compressor
Item # 69667

Only: $139.99
Sale: $119.99

Can anybody come up w/ what's the difference in these above other than
the product number?

--

The product number changes at HF when they alter the product, either by
changing the supplier or even something as simple as replacing a bushing

--
Steve W.

Pat Barber[_2_] May 30th 13 09:34 PM

What you see is not always real

"Peak" is the instant before they burst into flames... or at least that
is what I figured when my Dremel tool burst into flames, in my hands,
while using down spiral bits to cut out drywall around electrical boxes.
;~)

Well, you gotta love their ads....

I liked the one where the guy builds a covered bridge
with a circular saw and a hammer in what appeared to be
a weekend job.

Tom Dacon[_6_] May 31st 13 12:47 AM

Anyone have experience with these California Air Tools compressors

"tdacon" wrote in message ...

Thanks for your comments, folks.

Tom