Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steam powered woodworking

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Not much wondering why that dog doesn't have a tail...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somehow, I don’t think OSHA knows about this place...

Well, they 'prolly do now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 6, 2013 12:13:13 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce wooden boxes.

Pretty neat. A good place to pull in to, next time on vacation.

Somehow, I don’t think OSHA knows about this place... http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

If they ain't got no calendar on the wall, updated regs don't matter.
If the dog don't mind, then OSHA don't mind, either.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 05/06/2013 12:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

See the wiring on that hot plate stamper?
wowzer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2013 12:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That was very cool! I wonder if the dog's tail was shortened in the
factory too? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 6, 2013 2:03:37 PM UTC-5, practice wrote:
See the wiring on that hot plate stamper? wowzer!

I wonder if the electrical power was steam generated, also?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 5/6/2013 12:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to
produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That was very cool! I wonder if the dog's tail was shortened in the
factory too? ;~)

Tell us the truth Leon. Did you get steam engine envy while watching this?
:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 5/6/2013 12:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That was very cool! I wonder if the dog's tail was shortened in the factory too? ;~)

Tell us the truth Leon. Did you get steam engine envy while watching this? :-)

Festool doesn't make one, yet.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Wow. where to start?

1) The first comment I would make is that is an obvious historical site.
It is fascinating to watch how it was done long ago. And not as a
recreation either. It is an actual, working factory. Which is very cool.
And probably buys them considerable leeway with safety regulations.

2) Having said that I got nervous looking at that thing. I was hiding my
hands, sweating a little and picked up a couple extra heartbeats. That was
SCARY. The opportunities for a major injury/accident/death were
astronomical! I am a safety freak. I could never work in a place like
that.

3) Did you see all those belts?? I just kept think about somebody slipping
and taking a tumble into those belts. They would find you smeared all over
everything!

4) And steam, lot and lots of steam. Apparently this steam isn't contained
all that well. It leaks out everywhere. Looks like lots of burn potential
there.

5) There is an obvious constant need for lubrication. You have to stick
your hand into that big machinery, while it is operating, and squirt oil
into its midst. Presumably to appease the anger of the steam and cast iron
gods. It looks like some kind of early industrial religion. And these gods
probably are not happy unless they get a human (or canine) sacrifice now and
then.

6) And you get to feed the boiler. You take scraps and shovel them into
the fire box. Which must be very hot. Hopefully nobody falls into there.
Think of it as a nano hell.

7) The ultimate hybrid creation they had there was the "brander" wood
burning device. You had a modern branding plate made from magnesium. You
had a rat's nest of wiring, looking like it was recycled from 80 years ago.
And you had a very modern digital control device to regulate the
temperature. All of this hooked up to a bunch of recycled parts to make a
machine that stamps a brand into the wood pieces very efficiently. Steam
punk meets the digital age.

8) That nailing machine used to assemble the boxes had one very interesting
characteristic. You had to stick your fingers into the middle of that thing
every time you attached a board. And you do this hundreds, if not thousands
of times per job. If somebody worked there for many years he could have
done this a million times or so. Just ask yourself, could you do that a
100,000 times without nailing your fingers?

9) One thing I find fascinating is that those old steam factories, like the
big water wheel factories before them, had a central power source. Every
thing ran off of that through pulleys and geared wheels. I understand that
some Amish shops do something similar. It creates a whole different dynamic
of design, engineering and safety concerns.

10) And I am glad I live in the modern world. And that safety features are
common on modern tools. I can't help but wonder how many people were maimed
and killed in such environments. And every thing is so much smaller now.
You can just buy a planer. You don't need and acre of cast iron and steam
to operate it. Although it is fascinating to look at, give me modern tools
any day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2013 3:25 PM, Swingman wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 5/6/2013 12:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That was very cool! I wonder if the dog's tail was shortened in the factory too? ;~)

Tell us the truth Leon. Did you get steam engine envy while watching this? :-)

Festool doesn't make one, yet.

Yet, being the key word. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

10) And I am glad I live in the modern world. And that safety
features are common on modern tools. I can't help but wonder how many
people were maimed and killed in such environments. And every thing
is so much smaller now. You can just buy a planer. You don't need and
acre of cast iron and steam to operate it. Although it is fascinating
to look at, give me modern tools any day.

Yep, while I was watching the video I kept asking myself whether that
would be someplace I would want to go to work every day. And the answer
is, I don't think so.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2013 1:58 PM, Larry wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote in
:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Not much wondering why that dog doesn't have a tail...

Ha!! I thought the same thing. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 May 2013 15:53:53 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/6/2013 3:25 PM, Swingman wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 5/6/2013 12:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I don’t think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That was very cool! I wonder if the dog's tail was shortened in the factory too? ;~)

Tell us the truth Leon. Did you get steam engine envy while watching this? :-)

Festool doesn't make one, yet.

Yet, being the key word. LOL

I thought you'd be looking for the SteamStop version.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2013 1:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I dont think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That is a cool place.
Old style ingenuity.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 06 May 2013 17:58:48 GMT, Larry wrote:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Not much wondering why that dog doesn't have a tail...

Damn! That's exactly what I though too when I saw the dog walk by.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 May 2013 17:29:36 -0400, Bill
Yep, while I was watching the video I kept asking myself whether that
would be someplace I would want to go to work every day. And the answer
is, I don't think so.

Without the knowledge of today's society and a family to support?
Sure, I would. It sure as hell would beat having to work in a mine
everyday with a zillion tons of rock above your head and conditions
that would drive many mad.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 16:37:39 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Wow. where to start?

1) The first comment I would make is that is an obvious historical site.
It is fascinating to watch how it was done long ago. And not as a
recreation either. It is an actual, working factory. Which is very cool.
And probably buys them considerable leeway with safety regulations.

There is a window factory in Ontario cottage country that still has
the lineshaft and flat belt drive system, with many tools of the same
vintage - converted from steam to gasoline in the forties, I believe -
and to electric in the 'fifties.

2) Having said that I got nervous looking at that thing. I was hiding my
hands, sweating a little and picked up a couple extra heartbeats. That was
SCARY. The opportunities for a major injury/accident/death were
astronomical! I am a safety freak. I could never work in a place like
that.

Not much different than an old threshing machine

[...]

Except for the digital temperature control it is exactly the way it
was done almost 100 years ago. - and magnesium plates have been in use
since the late 1930s. Prior to that cast iron branding plates were
common., along with copper and brass alloys

8) That nailing machine used to assemble the boxes had one very interesting
characteristic. You had to stick your fingers into the middle of that thing
every time you attached a board. And you do this hundreds, if not thousands
of times per job. If somebody worked there for many years he could have
done this a million times or so. Just ask yourself, could you do that a
100,000 times without nailing your fingers?

9) One thing I find fascinating is that those old steam factories, like the
big water wheel factories before them, had a central power source. Every
thing ran off of that through pulleys and geared wheels. I understand that
some Amish shops do something similar. It creates a whole different dynamic
of design, engineering and safety concerns.

A machine shop I used to frequent in the 'sixties in Elmira Ontario
was all line-shaft and flat belt driven. - I think the newest
equipment in that shop that was not made in the shop was likely from
the very early thirties, if not the twenties.

10) And I am glad I live in the modern world. And that safety features are
common on modern tools. I can't help but wonder how many people were maimed
and killed in such environments. And every thing is so much smaller now.
You can just buy a planer. You don't need and acre of cast iron and steam
to operate it. Although it is fascinating to look at, give me modern tools
any day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dfgdfg

Posted to rec.woodworking

That factory was not as scary at the cedar shake factory I once
toured. It was from the 1800's. Most of it looked like this factory
except there was an ancient electric motor driving all the shafts. The
one thing that made me cringe was the final operation where the
shingles were cut. There was an totally unguarded band saw where the
operator diagonally cut a 1" by 2' billet. Reaching around the blade
as he pushed it in one side and pulled it out the other.

On Mon, 06 May 2013 17:13:13 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Sit back and enjoy this wonderful example of early American ingenuity to produce
wooden boxes.

Somehow, I don’t think OSHA knows about this place...

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

[...]

During my lifetime not so long ago I worked at a flour mill which had
similar belt system off a large motor and shafts on each floor.
The machines were put in service by manually slipping belts on or off
while the drive shaft was turning.
the safety factor was covered by not allowing anyong younger than 16 to
engage belts.