Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pocket Hole Screws

Have been much less than impressed with the "new and improved" shiny
plated Kreg screws. Looking for a source for the good old bronze screws
that didn't cam out or twist off. Suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/23/2013 9:55 PM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:
Have been much less than impressed with the "new and improved" shiny
plated Kreg screws. Looking for a source for the good old bronze screws
that didn't cam out or twist off. Suggestions?

First , let Kreg know you are unhappy.

Next try McFeelys.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you reach out to Kreg, let them know I share your impression. I'm getting mine from McFeeley.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/23/2013 8:55 PM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:
Have been much less than impressed with the "new and improved" shiny
plated Kreg screws. Looking for a source for the good old bronze screws
that didn't cam out or twist off. Suggestions?

I have not noticed, that I recall, an increase in breakage of the new
ones over the old however the shiny ones remind me of the cheaply made
ones, purchased 10 at a time for 79 cents, in a plastic pouch.

Typically local lumber yards and or McFeeleys still have the unplated
versions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kreg told me nothing is changed but the color, my screws must be a
defective batch - offered a replacement box. I declined. Guess it is
McFeeley for me.

"Gramp's shop" wrote in
:

If you reach out to Kreg, let them know I share your impression. I'm
getting mine from McFeeley.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 29, 2013 9:29:40 PM UTC-5, Bruce Kaatz wrote:
Kreg told me nothing is changed but the color, my screws must be a

defective batch - offered a replacement box. I declined. Guess it is

McFeeley for me.

"Gramp's shop" wrote in

:

If you reach out to Kreg, let them know I share your impression. I'm

getting mine from McFeeley.

Larry

I am surprised Kreg said that because the new ones are very different. I have probably driven 1,500 of the original screws in both fine and coarse thread over the past 5-6 years. I never broke one or stripped a head; and I had very few with defective square-drive recesses (five or six at most). In addition to pocket holes I use quite a few for general utility screws.

I am about 100 into a box of 1,000 of the new screws and I have stripped a couple of the new heads and popped the heads off of a couple. They are different.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote:

I am surprised Kreg said that because the new ones are very
different. I have probably driven 1,500 of the original screws in
both fine and coarse thread over the past 5-6 years. I never broke
one or stripped a head; and I had very few with defective
square-drive recesses (five or six at most). In addition to pocket
holes I use quite a few for general utility screws.

I am about 100 into a box of 1,000 of the new screws and I have
stripped a couple of the new heads and popped the heads off of a
couple. They are different.
You need to communicate your problem to Kreg so they can investigate.

As a marketing/sales kind of guy, I'd certainly want to know.

You can't fix it if you don't know it's broke.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 29, 2013 10:39:46 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"RonB" wrote:

I am surprised Kreg said that because the new ones are very

different. I have probably driven 1,500 of the original screws in

both fine and coarse thread over the past 5-6 years. I never broke

one or stripped a head; and I had very few with defective

square-drive recesses (five or six at most). In addition to pocket

holes I use quite a few for general utility screws.

I am about 100 into a box of 1,000 of the new screws and I have

stripped a couple of the new heads and popped the heads off of a

couple. They are different.

You need to communicate your problem to Kreg so they can investigate.

As a marketing/sales kind of guy, I'd certainly want to know.

You can't fix it if you don't know it's broke.

Lew

Did it Lew.

I sent them a message from their support site last night and mentioned a couple of strings that have appeared here on rec.woodworking recently. Your earlier comments inspired me. I also come from a business development / support background. Hearing folks call your baby ugly isn't pleasant but good companies often respond with change.

The odd thing is their site still shows the old screws. The plated ones I got came from Amazon, in a Kreg box. Oh-oh ...... I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Counterfeit screws?!?!?!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Did it Lew.

I sent them a message from their support site last night and mentioned
a couple of strings that have appeared here on rec.woodworking
recently. Your earlier comments inspired me. I also come from a
business development / support background. Hearing folks call your
baby ugly isn't pleasant but good companies often respond with change.

The odd thing is their site still shows the old screws. The plated
ones I got came from Amazon, in a Kreg box. Oh-oh ...... I'm starting
to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Counterfeit screws?!?!?!

RonB

Thanks for sending them your message. Maybe Kreg will take the issue
seriously if they hear the same problem from enough folks that actually
use the product. Sounds like the good "bronze" screws are the last of
the old stock, if you can find them. I think I was more impressed with
the screws than the Kreg jig when I first saw Craig Sommerfeld demo the
Kig at a wood working show in the late 80's. Oh for a good "bronze"
Kreg screw.
Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote in
:

I am surprised Kreg said that because the new ones are very different.
I have probably driven 1,500 of the original screws in both fine and
coarse thread over the past 5-6 years. I never broke one or stripped
a head; and I had very few with defective square-drive recesses (five
or six at most). In addition to pocket holes I use quite a few for
general utility screws.

I am about 100 into a box of 1,000 of the new screws and I have
stripped a couple of the new heads and popped the heads off of a
couple. They are different.

RonB

I agree totally. The new ones tend to cam out very easily. Of the
1000's of the "bronze" screws I driven, I've never snapped a screw or
popped a head. The zinc ones are different. I wish I could have seen
my face when the very first zinc screw I drove snapped off in a red oak
face frame - same drill, same settings as the old screws. After the
scond broken screw on the same face frame, the zinc ones went into the
trash.
And yes, the old bronze ones used to make a great utility screw.
Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/23/2013 8:55 PM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:

Have been much less than impressed with the "new and improved" shiny

plated Kreg screws. Looking for a source for the good old bronze screws

that didn't cam out or twist off. Suggestions?

I have not noticed, that I recall, an increase in breakage of the new

ones over the old however the shiny ones remind me of the cheaply made

ones, purchased 10 at a time for 79 cents, in a plastic pouch.

Typically local lumber yards and or McFeeleys still have the unplated

versions.

I have driven probably 3000 of the new plated screws and I haven't noticed any issues at all. Maybe you fellas are getting a bad batch. I don't drive the beejesus out of them either. I snug them up until the part is good and secure and they work fine. I don't use an impact driver either. Probably 90% of the screws get driven with a 12v drill/driver.

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:25:05 AM UTC-5, RP wrote:
[...]

I usually ease in with a regular 14v drill. Never an impact wrench.

I did send a message from the Kreg site and got a quick response offering a replacement box of screws. I sent a backup message telling them that the problem screws were part of an order of 1,250 screws (1,000ct + 250ct to get over Amazon free shipping limit). I am not really expecting free boxes of screws; just wondering whey the changed from a tried-and-true product to the new ones.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

[...]

================================================== ================================================== ======
Cheaper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:35:16 -0700 (PDT), RonB
screws were part of an order of 1,250 screws (1,000ct + 250ct to get over
Amazon free shipping limit). I am not really expecting free boxes of screws

And you're absolutely sure they are real Kreg certified screws and not
some knock off that some company released with the Kreg name attached?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:35:16 PM UTC-5, RonB wrote:
[...]

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2013 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:
On Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:35:16 PM UTC-5, RonB wrote:

RonB

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

I wonder if that means back to the non plated or back to strictly square
drive, or both. The plated screws used a combo Philips/Square drive head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 7:54*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 5/7/2013 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:35:16 PM UTC-5, RonB wrote:

RonB

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. *He maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

I wonder if that means back to the non plated or back to strictly square
drive, or both. *The plated screws used a combo Philips/Square drive head.

I got a little grief here a ways back for saying that I needed to put
modest pressure behind the bit in order to get it to stay in the hole.
I was (and am) using the plated dual-drive screws. I have a feeling
that the "dual-ness" may be part of the problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2013 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:35:16 PM UTC-5, RonB wrote:

RonB

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they
are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

I wonder if that means back to the non plated or back to strictly square
drive, or both. The plated screws used a combo Philips/Square drive head.

I got a little grief here a ways back for saying that I needed to put
modest pressure behind the bit in order to get it to stay in the hole.
I was (and am) using the plated dual-drive screws. I have a feeling
that the "dual-ness" may be part of the problem.

Hard to say but a worn bit will slip out if the bit is past it's prime. For
many many years I have used the combo screws, non, plated that McFeeley's
sells with out issue. For the more heavily plated bits that McFeeley's
sells they offer a special under sized bit. I would suspect the plating
giving more grief than the combo head style.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2013 12:00 AM, Leon wrote:
Hard to say but a worn bit will slip out if the bit is past it's prime. For
many many years I have used the combo screws, non, plated that McFeeley's
sells with out issue. For the more heavily plated bits that McFeeley's
sells they offer a special under sized bit. I would suspect the plating
giving more grief than the combo head style.

You're more likely right, especially as I have no experience with the
older screws. The bit I use is quite new though. I have driven perhaps
200 screws with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT
they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Wow, now that's some clever marketing-speak.
"We've had so little trouble with the new design that we're going back
to the old design."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT
they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Wow, now that's some clever marketing-speak.
"We've had so little trouble with the new design that we're going back to the old design."

Yeah! LOL we'll do what ever it takes ! To **** y'all off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT
they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Wow, now that's some clever marketing-speak.
"We've had so little trouble with the new design that we're going back to
the old design."

Yeah! LOL we'll do what ever it takes ! To **** y'all off.
================================================== ===============================
I'll bet that the new ones are cheaper. They changed to increase profit.
They seem to have found out that you get what you pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:14:19 AM UTC-5, CW wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

-MIKE- wrote:

On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He

maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT

they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Wow, now that's some clever marketing-speak.

"We've had so little trouble with the new design that we're going back to

the old design."

Yeah! LOL we'll do what ever it takes ! To **** y'all off.

================================================== ===============================

I'll bet that the new ones are cheaper. They changed to increase profit.

They seem to have found out that you get what you pay for.

Reminds me of the Coca Cola snafu ... new Coke (yuk) vs Coke Classic. "New and improved" usually means that someone forgot the old mantra: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT
they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Wow, now that's some clever marketing-speak.
"We've had so little trouble with the new design that we're going back
to the old design."

Yeah! LOL we'll do what ever it takes ! To **** y'all off.
================================================== ===============================
I'll bet that the new ones are cheaper. They changed to increase profit.
They seem to have found out that you get what you pay for.

Hell, the new plated ones look cheap. I was unimpressed when I opened my
first box of silver screws several years ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

-MIKE- wrote:

On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He

maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT

they are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

Wow, now that's some clever marketing-speak.

"We've had so little trouble with the new design that we're going back to

the old design."

Yeah! LOL we'll do what ever it takes ! To **** y'all off.

================================================== ===============================

I'll bet that the new ones are cheaper. They changed to increase profit.

They seem to have found out that you get what you pay for.

Reminds me of the Coca Cola snafu ... new Coke (yuk) vs Coke Classic. "New and improved" usually means that someone forgot the old mantra: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

OTOH, if you don't make it better, someone else will.

Coke had the right idea but its implementation was horrible. They do
the same thing now, constantly. How many "brands" of Coke do you
think there are?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

-MIKE- wrote:

On 5/7/13 2:29 PM, RonB wrote:

[...]

Word is their sales on regular old Coke skyrocketed due to all the
publicity over the failed ad campaign. So maybe it wasn't such a failure
after all. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:03:13 -0500, -MIKE-
Word is their sales on regular old Coke skyrocketed due to all the
publicity over the failed ad campaign. So maybe it wasn't such a failure
after all. :-)

So, what does that mean? I really hate the new Coke, so I'm going to
go and drink more than the usual amount of the regular coke?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/13 1:05 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:03:13 -0500, -MIKE-
Word is their sales on regular old Coke skyrocketed due to all the
publicity over the failed ad campaign. So maybe it wasn't such a failure
after all. :-)

So, what does that mean? I really hate the new Coke, so I'm going to
go and drink more than the usual amount of the regular coke?

It means you couldn't turn on the TV during those months and not hear
someone talking about the New Coke. Talk shows and morning news shows
were doing taste tests and radio stations were talking about it and it
was water cooler talk for months. Water cooler is a metaphor for vending
machine, which generally hold coke cans. :-)

And then, when it was discovered the stuff sucked (tasted like Pepsi,
which was the intent all along), the buzz started back up talking about
what a failure it was. With all that free press for Coca-Cola, they
could've have bought more or better advertising.

It's the old adage, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."
Advertising is all about getting people thinking about your brand. The
catchy songs ("Anticipation"), the funny catch lines ("Where's the
beef?"), the memorable slogans ("Have it your way") all keep a brand in
your mind, and that's what they count on. So when a goof up (not a
tragedy-- poison in the tylenol) get's a brand name in the spotlight and
in the collective conscience of a society, it's gold for that brand.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they
are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

That is great news! Hope they roll them out ASAP. My shop is looking
forward to good screws again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:
================================================== ===============================

Reminds me of the Coca Cola snafu ... new Coke (yuk) vs Coke
Classic. "New and improved" usually means that someone forgot the
old mantra: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Coca Cola AKA: Carbonated suger water used to trash rum.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 May 2013 04:18:10 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in :

OTOH, if you don't make it better, someone else will.

Coke had the right idea but its implementation was horrible. They do
the same thing now, constantly. How many "brands" of Coke do you
think there are?

Only two or three. Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke come to mind. (Diet Coke
does not count.)

So in other words, if you don't like it[*], it doesn't count. How
about Coke Zero, and all of the caffeine free sorts?
[*] It's the only sort I drink. If I wanted the sugar, I'd drink
Pepsi.

The Coca-cola company seems to throw new flavors to the wolves and kills
them off if they don't do well. See also Surge (NOT full of caffeine ~58
mg/12 oz) and Vault (more caffeine than other pops, but ~70 mg/12 oz rather
than ~55 mg/12 oz.) {Note: Caffeine numbers are from memories a few years
old.}

Rather my point.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 May 2013 05:21:39 GMT, Puckdropper

wrote in :

On 10 May 2013 04:18:10 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Only two or three. Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke come to mind. (Diet
Coke does not count.)

So in other words, if you don't like it[*], it doesn't count. How
about Coke Zero, and all of the caffeine free sorts?

[*] It's the only sort I drink. If I wanted the sugar, I'd drink
Pepsi.

Diet Coke doesn't count because it's pretty much a brand of its own. It
may have started as a brand of Coke, but has grown to be one itself.

Huh? You are *really* weird.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

It's the old adage, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."
Advertising is all about getting people thinking about your brand. The
catchy songs ("Anticipation"), the funny catch lines ("Where's the
beef?"), the memorable slogans ("Have it your way") all keep a brand
in your mind, and that's what they count on. So when a goof up (not a
tragedy-- poison in the tylenol) get's a brand name in the spotlight
and in the collective conscience of a society, it's gold for that
brand.

Not really. There is that other old adage - one oh **** ruins a thousand
attaboys. There's plenty of cases of bad press haunting companies.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/11/13 5:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

It's the old adage, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."
Advertising is all about getting people thinking about your brand. The
catchy songs ("Anticipation"), the funny catch lines ("Where's the
beef?"), the memorable slogans ("Have it your way") all keep a brand
in your mind, and that's what they count on. So when a goof up (not a
tragedy-- poison in the tylenol) get's a brand name in the spotlight
and in the collective conscience of a society, it's gold for that
brand.

Not really. There is that other old adage - one oh **** ruins a thousand
attaboys. There's plenty of cases of bad press haunting companies.

In the context of this discussion, this oh **** made them tens of
millions.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

It's the old adage, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."
Advertising is all about getting people thinking about your brand.
The catchy songs ("Anticipation"), the funny catch lines ("Where's
the beef?"), the memorable slogans ("Have it your way") all keep a
brand in your mind, and that's what they count on. So when a goof
up (not a tragedy-- poison in the tylenol) get's a brand name in
the spotlight and in the collective conscience of a society, it's
gold for that brand.

Not really. There is that other old adage - one oh **** ruins a
thousand attaboys. There's plenty of cases of bad press haunting
companies.

In the context of this discussion, this oh **** made them tens of
millions.

My point is that bad press is bad press. The adage that there is no such
thing as bad press exists more in the hearts and minds of people who really
don't do sales and marketing than it does in the real world. Bad press
hurts sales, growth, etc. Maybe not to the point of running a company out
of business, but it certainly does have a negative impact. The old adage
just isn't true.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they
are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

In following up with Kreg I heard from one of the Kreg customer support
guys.

In a very polite email he said: "I’m sorry to inform you that we are not
moving back to our dry lube screws like you are referring to. We are
however slowly transitioning back to our square drive only screws
instead of the combo drive screws."

So, sounds like the zinc screws are here to stay but going back to the
square drive, not combo drive.
Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2013 10:09 AM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:

I got another email from the guy at Kreg over the weekend. He
maintains they haven't had much trouble with the new screws - BUT they
are going back to their traditional square-drive screws.

RonB

In following up with Kreg I heard from one of the Kreg customer support
guys.

In a very polite email he said: "I’m sorry to inform you that we are not
moving back to our dry lube screws like you are referring to. We are
however slowly transitioning back to our square drive only screws
instead of the combo drive screws."

So, sounds like the zinc screws are here to stay but going back to the
square drive, not combo drive.
Bruce

That is unfortunate, it would be better if it was the other way around.

pocket hole screws bumhead Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 January 4th 10 11:02 PM
pocket hole screws Tim Taylor Woodworking 13 April 22nd 06 05:11 PM
FA: Kreg Jig # K2, Pocket Hole Jig, w/ 200 Face Frame Screws [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 3rd 06 01:31 AM
Pocket hole screws TH Woodworking 5 November 15th 05 08:51 AM
2" pocket hole screws? toller Woodworking 8 January 22nd 05 11:58 PM