Absinthe

Default Adding Pergola to existing deck

SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either the
posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need to
be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.

Suggestions, advise, please?

--A

Old Nick

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:22:22 -0400, "Absinthe"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sounds like somebody is trying find reasons not to do the job! G

SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either the
posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need to
be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.

Suggestions, advise, please?

--A

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.
Absinthe

No, just want to do it safely and securely. With the weight of so many 2x6's
hanging over my head, I don't want it to come crashing down around my ears
and such, or on top of my head...

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:22:22 -0400, "Absinthe"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Sounds like somebody is trying find reasons not to do the job! G

SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either

the
posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need

be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.

Suggestions, advise, please?

--A

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.

M Wingett

"Absinthe" wrote in
SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either

the
posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need

be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.

Suggestions, advise, please?

--A

Not sure why she wants it on my deck, but if I were to do it I'd notch out
the decking for the posts and lag into joists. Install bracing on both
sides and at least to adjacent joists. There will potentially be cantilever
force across the tied into joists, so I'd also anchor in concrete. If
you're too high, you could add a lot of bracing if pergola is not too big.
Account for wood movement.

mw