Ridgid - DeWalt Battery Adapter

Old February 26th 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid - DeWalt Battery Adapter

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Old February 26th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:45:49 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

There's probably too many infringement problems for that to happen.
Old February 26th 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

The only motive for that is to make a profit. I don't see much of a
profit in providing such an adapter considering the potential number
of combinations.

If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in
most cases.
Old February 26th 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:55:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in
most cases.

What I'd like to see is someone rebuilding the older batteries with
the newer and lighter Li-ion technology.
Old February 26th 12, 07:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

You will see a reload of the lithium with lithium.

Old February 26th 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Old February 26th 12, 08:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

They already do... on the inside anyway.
The manufacturers of power tools are unlikely to manufacture batteries
as well. Those are bought from the battery makers.

The battery case is just a hollow container there to allow the batteries
to be removable. That's a much better setup than batteries
wired-in.

I've had my Ryobi 9 and 12 volt drill batteries rebuilt - using Nimh
cells. I _think_ they were originally NiCad. Nice increase in run-time
as a result.

Old February 26th 12, 10:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2012 1:07 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

Yeah, that is incorrect. AAMOF you can plug any Festool battery that
will fit into a current Festool Charger regaudless of chemical makeup or
voltage.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/c...-3-495227.html

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

This link leads to batteries with same cases and diferent chemical make
up batteries that will all fit the same tool and charger.

http://www.festoolusa.com/accessorie...-chargers.html
Old February 26th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

They already do... on the inside anyway.
The manufacturers of power tools are unlikely to manufacture batteries
as well. Those are bought from the battery makers.

The battery case is just a hollow container there to allow the batteries
to be removable. That's a much better setup than batteries

The smart chargers most manufacturers use today depend on heat sensors
built into their battery packs to determine optimum charging times. That's
one of the reasons the cheap tools, like HF, all have low-amp chargers that
must be manually disconnected after a time, or risk frying either the
battery or charger. If you wanted to use a plain charger with no logic
control, and take responsibility for correct charging cycle time and
polarity yourself, you could always get a power wart of adequate voltage
and current capacity and attach a set of alligator clips. Doubtful you
would get the same battery life as the dedicated charger provides though.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Old February 26th 12, 11:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

That may be true of festool. I doubt they use a stupid charge technology.

I have computerized chargers for my lithium and lipo batteries, the
lithium ion and lithium poly invalidated my old computerized chargers
used for nicad, and nimh.

What festool probably has is a computer chip that senses voltage and is
working off that for charge, for nicad and nimh it is probably either
shutting off based on a curve, when the battery starts taking less amperage.

For lithium ion and poly it probably uses a different set of criteria.
Not like your Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Milwakee, or Royobi... Which
probably don't have the sophistication built into the charger.

BTW the more advanced lithium batteries prevent you from deep discharge.
The lesser batteries don't.

Temperature is not a great way to stop charging. It's the cheapest, and
most destructive.

On 2/26/2012 5:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/26/2012 1:07 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

Yeah, that is incorrect. AAMOF you can plug any Festool battery that
will fit into a current Festool Charger regaudless of chemical makeup or
voltage.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/c...-3-495227.html

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

This link leads to batteries with same cases and diferent chemical make
up batteries that will all fit the same tool and charger.

http://www.festoolusa.com/accessorie...-chargers.html

Dewalt 12V battery and B&D 12v battery are interchangeable? MiamiCuse Home Repair 4 June 23rd 09 02:56 AM
Home Depot Clearance Items - Dewalt 735 & Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander Nick Bozovich Woodworking 0 September 8th 07 10:17 PM
Ridgid Battery Warranty Al Bundy Home Repair 3 March 27th 07 02:54 PM
Dewalt or Ridgid ? jsm Woodworking 3 November 4th 03 02:02 PM
miter saw -- delta / dewalt to replace ridgid eric Woodworking 12 October 31st 03 05:08 PM