Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid - DeWalt Battery Adapter

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:45:49 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

There's probably too many infringement problems for that to happen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

The only motive for that is to make a profit. I don't see much of a
profit in providing such an adapter considering the potential number
of combinations.

If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in
most cases.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:55:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in
most cases.

What I'd like to see is someone rebuilding the older batteries with
the newer and lighter Li-ion technology.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

You will see a reload of the lithium with lithium.

On 2/26/2012 12:22 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:55:30 -0500, Ed wrote:
If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in
most cases.

What I'd like to see is someone rebuilding the older batteries with
the newer and lighter Li-ion technology.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

They already do... on the inside anyway.
The manufacturers of power tools are unlikely to manufacture batteries
as well. Those are bought from the battery makers.

The battery case is just a hollow container there to allow the batteries
to be removable. That's a much better setup than batteries
wired-in.

I've had my Ryobi 9 and 12 volt drill batteries rebuilt - using Nimh
cells. I _think_ they were originally NiCad. Nice increase in run-time
as a result.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2012 1:07 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

Yeah, that is incorrect. AAMOF you can plug any Festool battery that
will fit into a current Festool Charger regaudless of chemical makeup or
voltage.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/c...-3-495227.html

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

This link leads to batteries with same cases and diferent chemical make
up batteries that will all fit the same tool and charger.

http://www.festoolusa.com/accessorie...-chargers.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I wish someone would make an adapter that would allow powertools to use
other manufacturer's batteries, like using my Ridgid batteries for DeWalt
and vice-versa.

Better yet, get all mfgrs to standardize the battery pack interface.

They already do... on the inside anyway.
The manufacturers of power tools are unlikely to manufacture batteries
as well. Those are bought from the battery makers.

The battery case is just a hollow container there to allow the batteries
to be removable. That's a much better setup than batteries

The smart chargers most manufacturers use today depend on heat sensors
built into their battery packs to determine optimum charging times. That's
one of the reasons the cheap tools, like HF, all have low-amp chargers that
must be manually disconnected after a time, or risk frying either the
battery or charger. If you wanted to use a plain charger with no logic
control, and take responsibility for correct charging cycle time and
polarity yourself, you could always get a power wart of adequate voltage
and current capacity and attach a set of alligator clips. Doubtful you
would get the same battery life as the dedicated charger provides though.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That may be true of festool. I doubt they use a stupid charge technology.

I have computerized chargers for my lithium and lipo batteries, the
lithium ion and lithium poly invalidated my old computerized chargers
used for nicad, and nimh.

What festool probably has is a computer chip that senses voltage and is
working off that for charge, for nicad and nimh it is probably either
shutting off based on a curve, when the battery starts taking less amperage.

For lithium ion and poly it probably uses a different set of criteria.
Not like your Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Milwakee, or Royobi... Which
probably don't have the sophistication built into the charger.

BTW the more advanced lithium batteries prevent you from deep discharge.
The lesser batteries don't.

Temperature is not a great way to stop charging. It's the cheapest, and
most destructive.

On 2/26/2012 5:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/26/2012 1:07 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Can't be done.

The lithium generally use different prongs, so the charger knows what it
is charging. Lithium can not be charged the same as nicad or nimh.
Also the cell voltage is different.

Yeah, that is incorrect. AAMOF you can plug any Festool battery that
will fit into a current Festool Charger regaudless of chemical makeup or
voltage.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/c...-3-495227.html

You'll never see an old nicad/nimh holding lithium.

This link leads to batteries with same cases and diferent chemical make
up batteries that will all fit the same tool and charger.

http://www.festoolusa.com/accessorie...-chargers.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2012 9:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

program. Trade in your old style charger and buy a new one with two
battery packs and you get a coupon for a free Chevy Volt.

Battery not included ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:12:47 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/26/2012 9:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

program. Trade in your old style charger and buy a new one with two
battery packs and you get a coupon for a free Chevy Volt.

Battery not included ...

I _knew_ it was too bad to be true...

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote ...
On 2/26/2012 9:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

program. Trade in your old style charger and buy a new one with two
battery packs and you get a coupon for a free Chevy Volt.

Battery not included ...

That was Johnnie Carson's old line.

Brings back memories...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If your batteries die, get a good rebuild and have better than new in
most cases.

I looked into doing that for my DeWalt a few months ago -- the
rebuilds were as expensive as new. Even the rebuild *kits* were was
expensive as new.

Unless I was looking in the wrong place, I couldn't justify
rebuilding, which is a shame.

you definitely looked in the wrong places Ed. Generally around $35 for a
good rebuild.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2012 3:27 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Ed wrote:

Unless I was looking in the wrong place, I couldn't justify
rebuilding, which is a shame.

you definitely looked in the wrong places Ed. Generally around $35 for a
good rebuild.

Yep, that's pretty much what I found. And here's
a replacement for $31, including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-1500AH-.../dp/B0023S8F9U

Any chance the rebuild is significantly better than the replacement?

Rebuilds tend to be "fresh" they have not been setting on the shelf
waiting for your to buy them and they typically have significantly
higher amperage ratings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2012 4:17 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/27/2012 3:27 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Ed wrote:

Unless I was looking in the wrong place, I couldn't justify
rebuilding, which is a shame.

you definitely looked in the wrong places Ed. Generally around $35 for a
good rebuild.

Yep, that's pretty much what I found. And here's
a replacement for $31, including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-1500AH-.../dp/B0023S8F9U

Any chance the rebuild is significantly better than the replacement?

Rebuilds tend to be "fresh" they have not been setting on the shelf
waiting for your to buy them and they typically have significantly
higher amperage ratings.

Actually I would shy from a pre-rebuilt, they have been setting on the
shelf also. Have you own battery rebuilt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 2/27/2012 3:27 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Ed wrote:

Unless I was looking in the wrong place, I couldn't justify
rebuilding, which is a shame.

you definitely looked in the wrong places Ed. Generally around $35 for a
good rebuild.

Yep, that's pretty much what I found. And here's
a replacement for $31, including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-1500AH-.../dp/B0023S8F9U

Any chance the rebuild is significantly better than the replacement?

Rebuilds tend to be "fresh" they have not been setting on the shelf
waiting for your to buy them and they typically have significantly
higher amperage ratings.

My experience has not been "typical". I used Batteries Plus to
rebuild a couple of DeWalt batteries and another machine with built-in
batteries. They did not last nearly as long as the new batteries did
and did not hold a charge as long.

--
Gerald Ross

If an experiment works, you must be
using the wrong equipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:49:35 -0500, Gerald Ross
My experience has not been "typical". I used Batteries Plus to
rebuild a couple of DeWalt batteries and another machine with built-in
batteries. They did not last nearly as long as the new batteries did
and did not hold a charge as long.

Unfortunately, I had a similar experience when I had my Milwaukee
drill batteries rebuilt. But, this was at least ten years ago, so the
rebuilding technology and type of batteries being rebuild these days
might have improved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2012 3:27 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Mike wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Ed wrote:

Unless I was looking in the wrong place, I couldn't justify
rebuilding, which is a shame.

you definitely looked in the wrong places Ed. Generally around $35 for a
good rebuild.

Yep, that's pretty much what I found. And here's
a replacement for $31, including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-1500AH-.../dp/B0023S8F9U

Any chance the rebuild is significantly better than the replacement?

+1. At the green battery shop. Whazit'sname?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, that's pretty much what I found. And here's
a replacement for $31, including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-1500AH-.../dp/B0023S8F9U

Any chance the rebuild is significantly better than the replacement?

Seems like the ones from www.primecell.com are.
NIMH -Maximum capacity packs: NiMh batteries are usually available in
two battery sizes. Small packs were 1.5 AH and large battery packs
were 2.2 AH to 2.6 AH We rebuild the small case with 2.1 AH and the
larger packs are improved to 3.3 AH. Either rebuild usually adds 50%
more run time.

Dewalt 12V battery and B&D 12v battery are interchangeable? MiamiCuse Home Repair 4 June 23rd 09 03:56 AM
Home Depot Clearance Items - Dewalt 735 & Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander Nick Bozovich Woodworking 0 September 8th 07 11:17 PM
Ridgid Battery Warranty Al Bundy Home Repair 3 March 27th 07 03:54 PM
Dewalt or Ridgid ? jsm Woodworking 3 November 4th 03 03:02 PM
miter saw -- delta / dewalt to replace ridgid eric Woodworking 12 October 31st 03 06:08 PM