How to repair warped table top?

Old February 17th 12, 06:55 AM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Default How to repair warped table top?

Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are weather
warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be nice to
make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router; belt
sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Old February 17th 12, 12:16 PM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Paul Conners wrote:
Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are
weather warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be
nice to make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Replace the boards. And put them so if they cup they will cup with the
center up. Fasten in the center and keep painted/varnished.
_____________

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router;
belt sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Well, you could ....

a) plane down the boards to make them flat on the surface

b) if thin/narrow enough, bend them down and fasten

c) if not thin enough, remove and rip one or more kerfs on underside, put
glue in kerfs, bend flat.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old February 17th 12, 04:34 PM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On Feb 17, 12:55*am, Paul Conners wrote:
Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are weather
warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be nice to
make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router; belt
sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Depends on the amount of cup and the edges of the table. My wife
inherited an attractive elm claw foot from her mom. It had a similar
problem and one of the glue joints had failed too. I removed it from
the legs, removed the edge trim, sawed through the failed glue joint
and glued it back together. Before gluing I took a thin pass through
a thickness planer to level the top out again. Came out looking
good. If you don't have a planer, search around for a friend or
school that does.

RonB
Old February 17th 12, 06:28 PM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 10:55*pm, Paul Conners wrote:
Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are weather
warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be nice to
make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router; belt
sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Very hard to say how I would address it without seeing a picture. Can
you post a pic somwhere? Be careful if you plan to try and address it
with a planer because depending on the defect the planer rollers can
sometimes just hold it flat while it planes it, then aftewards it
rools right back into it's curl and you have a nice flat but curled
surface still.
Old February 18th 12, 12:14 AM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2012 12:55 AM, Paul Conners wrote:
Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are weather
warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be nice to
make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router; belt
sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I like to start this type of conversation by saying, "you're not happy
with it the way it is now, are you?" or "it doesn't work now, does it?".
I guess we can't hurt too bad.

I would remove the top. On a nice spring day I would lay it on the
grass with the humped side up. Let it sit there a day preferably with
some sunshine. The piece has probably gotten wet at some point and the
top dried quicker and pulled the warp. I am suggesting you try to
equalize the moisture throughout the piece. I'm thinking you will see
some substantial improvement after a day of absorbing ground moisture on
the shrunken side and air/sun drying on the top side. I would them give
it lots of weight on a flat table surface, not on the concrete patio or
garage floor. After a week, see what you have.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Old February 18th 12, 06:42 PM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

I would remove the top. On a nice spring day I would lay it on the
grass with the humped side up. Let it sit there a day preferably with
some sunshine. The piece has probably gotten wet at some point and the
top dried quicker and pulled the warp. I am suggesting you try to
equalize the moisture throughout the piece. I'm thinking you will see
some substantial improvement after a day of absorbing ground moisture on
the shrunken side and air/sun drying on the top side. I would them give
it lots of weight on a flat table surface, not on the concrete patio or
garage floor. After a week, see what you have.
[Dan G]

I like your suggestions. The lawn and sunshine are readily available. But the
only large flat surface is the garage floor. And weight? Hmm... 2 front
wheels of the Toyota come to mind...

Thanks.

Old February 18th 12, 06:53 PM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

In ,
Paul Conners typed:
Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small
table are weather warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it
would be nice to make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table
saw; router; belt sander; palm sander; paint gun and
compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Find someone with a planer and have them smooth it out for you into a flat
surface.

Old February 19th 12, 03:58 AM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2012 12:42 PM, Paul Conners wrote:
I would remove the top. On a nice spring day I would lay it on the
grass with the humped side up. Let it sit there a day preferably with
some sunshine. The piece has probably gotten wet at some point and the
top dried quicker and pulled the warp. I am suggesting you try to
equalize the moisture throughout the piece. I'm thinking you will see
some substantial improvement after a day of absorbing ground moisture on
the shrunken side and air/sun drying on the top side. I would them give
it lots of weight on a flat table surface, not on the concrete patio or
garage floor. After a week, see what you have.
[Dan G]

I like your suggestions. The lawn and sunshine are readily available. But the
only large flat surface is the garage floor. And weight? Hmm... 2 front
wheels of the Toyota come to mind...

I thought his suggestion ingenious as well. How about that Toyota, an
appropriately-sized sheet of 3/4" plywood (make a sandwich of your
"moistened" top) and a piece of 2x10 as a caul?

Old February 22nd 12, 02:27 AM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Paul Conners wrote:

Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are weather
warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be nice to
make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router; belt
sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Just a note - cupping takes place towards the moisture not away from it.
Old February 22nd 12, 05:47 AM posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Just a note - cupping takes place towards the moisture not away from it.

Just to clarify: the concave side is moist, and the convex side is dry?

How to repair a mahogany table top NoSpam UK diy 15 January 27th 11 10:43 AM
Table fan repair PE[_2_] Home Repair 14 August 23rd 10 04:30 PM
Table fan repair PE[_2_] Home Repair 0 August 22nd 10 09:44 PM
warped table leaf arzig1 Home Repair 5 January 8th 07 12:50 PM
Unisaw warped extension table rickluce Woodworking 4 August 24th 05 04:33 PM