DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacement plastic drawer slides needed (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/33362-replacement-plastic-drawer-slides-needed.html)

Timothy Lee July 15th 04 04:46 AM

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

I have a secondhand, 2-drawer, faux-wood/particleboard filing cabinet,
for which I need 2 replacement, plastic drawer slides for the upper
drawer. I've tried Googling using the words "plastic drawer slide"
and "drawer slide", but the results are not what I need. I need
replacement plastic strips, approx. 12-16" long, 3/8" thick, and 5-8"
wide, which can be screwed into the interior walls, on which ride the
drawer that has a matching mortise (not sure if I'm using the right
term -- it is a matching, female groove which fits the plastic piece).

The results I get from Google are either replacement roller
assemblies, which I don't want, or plastic corner pieces -- small
brackets that look like shelf supports. I don't want a roller
assembly, because it might bend and warp, and because most of them
don't seem to allow a drawer to fully open. I only want a couple of
replacement, plastic strips, but can't find them on Google because I
don't seem to be using the right search terms.

What kind of search terms or words should I use to find a seller of
these kinds of pieces? Or could someone make a recommendation?
Thanks.

Rich July 15th 04 05:11 AM

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

Can you make them yourself out of wood? or maybe cut up an old plastic
cutting board?

Full extension drawer glides probably wont warp and should open up the
drawer completely. I get them for 9 bucks a pair at the local cabinet supply
house.

Rich

om...

patriarch July 15th 04 05:24 AM

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

(Timothy Lee) wrote in
om:

I have a secondhand, 2-drawer, faux-wood/particleboard filing cabinet,
for which I need 2 replacement, plastic drawer slides for the upper
drawer.

snip

Every town should have a really good, independent hardware store like the
one 4 blocks from my house. When I have a problem, often similar to yours,
I take the piece in question in hand, walk in, and say "I need something to
fix this, please."

The longer they have been in business, the better. The more grey in their
hair, the better. No orange aprons.

A national treasure. An endangered species.

Patriarch

Richard Cline July 15th 04 05:32 AM

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

In article ,
(Timothy Lee) wrote:

It may seem like a simple need but it is just a cheap item that may
never have been on the open market. It is likely that you will break
the drawer slikes for the lower drawer also. Do yourself a favor and
look at a better quality piece of furniture. Filing cabinets are very
cheap.

Dick

J. Clarke July 15th 04 02:24 PM

Timothy Lee wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need sheet plastic that you can cut to size. Look in the
Yellow Pages under "Plastics" and you should find a jobber in your area
that will have the necessary sheet. As a guess I'd try "UHMW
Polyethylene", usually sold as just "UHMW".

If there's a Woodcraft in your area they'll probably have some in stock as
well.

If there's a half inch clearance between the bottom of the cutout and the
side of the cabinet then put in some full-suspension slides and you'll be a
lot happier in the long run.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

patrick conroy July 15th 04 05:21 PM

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

"Timothy Lee" wrote in message
om...

I have a secondhand, 2-drawer, faux-wood/particleboard filing cabinet,
for which I need 2 replacement, plastic drawer slides for the upper
drawer. I've tried Googling using the words "plastic drawer slide"

I know 'xactalackly what your talking about. I have (from
new-college-grad-gets-first-furniture-days) a Scandaniavan Design's (teak
over particleboard) dresser with those slides.

They're plastic, with a rounded front end that fits into a groove on the
drawer sides.
A couple of mine have broken too.

This is guest room furniture for me now, so my motivation is low, but I
poked around the usual chain stores for something and couldn't find a
replacement. My plan is to make a simple replacement slide out of wood.

If you have rudimentary 'dorkin tools and skills - I think this is currently
the best (cheapest, fastest) option..

J. Clarke July 16th 04 04:54 AM

Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

Iid wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:24:18 -0400, The Anal "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Sounds like you need sheet plastic that you can cut to size. Look in the
Yellow Pages under "Plastics" and you should find a jobber in your area
that will have the necessary sheet. As a guess I'd try "UHMW
Polyethylene", usually sold as just "UHMW".

LOL!
I already posted him a link to almost the exact size he needs.
But you had to post what little you knew anyway, didn't you skippy.;-)

Oh, how cute, a little boy and his sock puppet.