David F. Eisan

Default Cannot find cheap compass for scribing...

Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Rudy

Walmart School supplies

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall.

Leon

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
rs.com...
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of

them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

How about the Grocery store in with the school supplies.

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Dave Balderstone

In article om, David
F. Eisan wrote:

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Two sticks, a bolt & nut, a nail, a golf pencil.

I made a large one a while back when I wanted to draw some 1' dia
circles. Took me all of 10 minutes.
Edwin Pawlowski

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
rs.com...
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of

them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

I'll swap you mine for a good one. Yesterday I was cursing my cheap one and
if the stores were open I'd have bought the high priced quality compass.
It's your if you want it, but Wal Mart is probably closer.
Ed

Bill Rogers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:10:23 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:
I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Flea market [or yard sale or auction] for el cheapo [don't go that
way] or a decent drafting compasses. Or, as someone suggested, make
your own, but I'd put just a little bit of effort into it. You might
even also come across one of those larger ones used by teachers for
the blackboard, and use a pencil instead of the chalk, with a shim to
fit.

Bill.

John

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

John

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:52:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ers.com...
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of

them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

I'll swap you mine for a good one. Yesterday I was cursing my cheap one and
if the stores were open I'd have bought the high priced quality compass.
It's your if you want it, but Wal Mart is probably closer.
Ed

Lew Hodgett

"John" writes:

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

Sure beats the hell out of what I've been doing.

Thank you.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Edwin Pawlowski

"George" george@least wrote in message
Why not the washer and pencil trick? Template to wall, pencil inside
washer, roll down the wall.

That sounds easy, but you left out all the important details.

What type of pencil? Is a #2 the #1 pencil for the job?

What about the washer? If it is a bath or kitchen will you need brass
washers? Can you substitute a plated one?

If north of the equator does the washer have to rotate CW or can it go CCW?
If one is preferred, what do you do on the wall on the opposite side of the
room?

Bill Rogers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:02 -0500, John wrote:

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Neat! There's something new every day.

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

Problem: the hole varies in size also.

Bill.

Morris Dovey

Bill Rogers wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:02 -0500, John wrote:

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Neat! There's something new every day.

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

Problem: the hole varies in size also.

In that case, you might need to find a high-end washer. In a real
pinch, drill a pencil point sized hole in the center of a penny
and use that. (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Wes

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:12:51 -0400, Bill Rogers
wrote:

|On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:02 -0500, John wrote:
|
|For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
|in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
|surface you want to scribe to
|
|Neat! There's something new every day.
|
|Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
|surface
|
|Problem: the hole varies in size also.

No, the problem is keeping the washer from riding up the pencil.

Wes

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:31:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

|"George" george@least wrote in message
| Why not the washer and pencil trick? Template to wall, pencil inside
| washer, roll down the wall.
|
|That sounds easy, but you left out all the important details.
|
|What type of pencil? Is a #2 the #1 pencil for the job?

Yes, unless it isn't.

|What about the washer? If it is a bath or kitchen will you need brass
|washers?

Yes

| Can you substitute a plated one?

Not unless you spray it with TopCoat first.

|If north of the equator does the washer have to rotate CW or can it go CCW?

It doesn't matter unless you're using a brass washer, then it's CCW.

|If one is preferred, what do you do on the wall on the opposite side of the
|room?

Scribe up instead of down.

wrote:

Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Thanks,

David.

stationery store. artist's supply. schoolteacher's supply. office
supply...

B a r r y

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:02 -0500, John wrote:

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

Old router bit bearings also work well.

Barry
Kevin

In another life I was a Tool and Die builder and used a device similar to
what John mentions. It is rather simply made.
1. Get a piece of .0625 aluminum (or whatever else your heart desires).
2. Place a center mark and scribe a circle with a .75 radius. This will be
the OD of the tool.
3. Mark out angles from the center point maybe every 10 to 15 degrees and
scribe a faint line.
4. Set the radius on your compass to different settings and swing an arc
over each of the degree lines you marked on the tool.
5. At the intersection of the arc and the line drill a #40 hole.

Now the cut and grind out the tool. Place a scribe in one of the holes and
you can scratch a line around the exterior of what you wish. Sorry if the
description is a bit unclear.

wrote:

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ers.com...
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in

high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of

them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

I'll swap you mine for a good one. Yesterday I was cursing my cheap one

and
if the stores were open I'd have bought the high priced quality compass.
It's your if you want it, but Wal Mart is probably closer.
Ed

Mutt

General (the company that makes rulers, dowel jigs, etc, not the CN
green iron folks) makes a compass that is fairly robust, has a
threaded cross rod with a nut, and works better than the grade school
compasses you can get for $1.50 at OfficeMax or Walmart. I paid $5
for mine a few years back at a wood show. I think Lowes or the Borg
carries the line.

Mutt

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message ers.com...
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

patrick conroy

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
rs.com...

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Wal-Mart.

[More proof to bolster my theory...]

Scott Lurndal

"David F. Eisan" writes:
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

Make one from two straight sections of wood. Tape a pencil to one
end.

scott

John

Size of the HOLE doesn't matter, just the thickness of the rim of the
washer - unless you find a washer that has a hole so small that ONLY
the very point of the pencil fits. In all other cases the size of the
hole is irrevelant

John

wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:02 -0500, John wrote:

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Neat! There's something new every day.

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

Problem: the hole varies in size also.

Bill.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bill Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:02 -0500, John wrote:

For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Neat! There's something new every day.

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

Problem: the hole varies in size also.

And the answer is: "fender washers"

One of the woodworking catalogues -- Lee Valley, maybe, not sure -- sells
washer-type gizmos, in a package of assorted sizes, for exactly this purpose.
Those _do_ have a constant-size hole in the middle.

Morris Dovey

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
om, David
F. Eisan wrote:

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a
cabinet to a wall?

Two sticks, a bolt & nut, a nail, a golf pencil.

I made a large one a while back when I wanted to draw some 1'
dia circles. Took me all of 10 minutes.

I think I spent about the same amount of time on mine. Photo on ABPW.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 01:17 AM
Is £25 cheap for a IR thermometer? Kalico UK diy 11 January 26th 04 07:41 AM
Cheap Garden Room mich UK diy 2 November 30th 03 04:59 PM
Cheap battery operated smoke alarms... grrrr.... RichardS UK diy 10 November 21st 03 05:52 PM
Cheap Compressors Mark Spice UK diy 13 July 28th 03 03:07 AM