Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replace the 'hook' velcro on a hook & loop multifunction sanding accessory...

The hook pad on my multifunction accessory got destroyed when I wasn't
paying attention and ended up sanding with the sandpaper fallen off.

I could by a whole new accessory but I would rather just replace the
hook side of the velcro (which is attached by adhesive).

I tried using a piece of heavy duty brand-name velcro. But while the
adhesive held well to the plate, the hooks didn't hold the sandpaper
very securely.

So, it seems like it might require a 'different' hook configuration.
Anybody have any suggestions where to get good replacement hook-velcro
that is adhesive backed and mates well with 'loop' sandpaper?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 8:41*pm, blueman wrote:
The hook pad on my multifunction accessory got destroyed when I wasn't
paying attention and ended up sanding with the sandpaper fallen off.

For regular sanders they sell replacement pads because they do wear
out. Not sure about this tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
The hook pad on my multifunction accessory got destroyed when I wasn't
paying attention and ended up sanding with the sandpaper fallen off.

I could by a whole new accessory but I would rather just replace the
hook side of the velcro (which is attached by adhesive).

I tried using a piece of heavy duty brand-name velcro. But while the
adhesive held well to the plate, the hooks didn't hold the sandpaper
very securely.

So, it seems like it might require a 'different' hook configuration.
Anybody have any suggestions where to get good replacement hook-velcro
that is adhesive backed and mates well with 'loop' sandpaper?

Since you have the HF machine, per another thread, just buy whole
machine. They are selling them for $20 which wouldn't make it
worth my while to fart around trying to replace the hooks. As a
bonus you get another set of attachments too.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Well the attachment I am using doesn't come standard - it costs about
$10. But given that I will likely end up messing up other ones some way
or other I was hoping for an even more economical solution...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:48:12 -0500, blueman wrote:

"Artemus" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

The more economical solution is to pay attention to your work and your
tools, mon. Spacing out while you work is liable to cost you an
appendage someday.

Practice NOT acknowledging people who try to distract you while you're
working with a dangerous tool, too. Post "KTFOut when I'm working!"
signs.

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

It's not so much spacing out... it's more that the sanding disks slip a
little (especially during heavy use), which exposes some of the velcro,
which then rubs away in a jiffy, which then causes the disks to adhere
less well, which leads to more slippage... and the cycle continues until
the pad is effectively destroyed.

Of course vigilance at least for me tends to extend the life but on my
ROS too, I eventually end up having to replace the hook pad every once
in a while...

Part of the problem is that I tend to use sandpaper as long as I can to
be economical, but I guess it comes to bite me out the other end
sometimes :P

Practice NOT acknowledging people who try to distract you while you're
working with a dangerous tool, too. Post "KTFOut when I'm working!"
signs.

Very true... I try to tell my wife and kids not to disturb me when I am
working... but that is about as effective as half the other things I
tell them :P

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.
-- Oprah Winfrey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Maroon Alert! Thou shalt not lean on the ROS, sir.

Of course vigilance at least for me tends to extend the life but on my
ROS too, I eventually end up having to replace the hook pad every once
in a while...

Part of the problem is that I tend to use sandpaper as long as I can to
be economical, but I guess it comes to bite me out the other end
sometimes :P

That is precisely why you are having problems. Never push down on the
sander. Let the paper do the work. Switch to PSA style and get rid of
the hook and loop. That loses motion as it works where PSA doesn't.
Get PSA in rolls. It's cheaper. There's your fix, Blue.

Practice NOT acknowledging people who try to distract you while you're
working with a dangerous tool, too. Post "KTFOut when I'm working!"
signs.

Very true... I try to tell my wife and kids not to disturb me when I am
working... but that is about as effective as half the other things I
tell them :P

Learn to cuss and shout while in the shop. This is especially
effective if you do not already do these things.

If that fails, learn to throw things at them. Keep cutoffs handy and
hurl 'em briskly if they endanger you.

Or start withholding allowances from the kids and sex from the wife
(like _that's_ gonna happen), OK, withhold chat from the wife if she
persists.

Or just get a bar for the door and put it across the entrance so they
can't make things dangerous for you. http://goo.gl/WFQoI
I use something along this style for my outside shop door since I have
no wife nor rugrats: http://goo.gl/LRkYc but mine hinges from one
side with a long lagbolt to hold it.

soapbox
Lest you think I'm only having fun here, I'm absolutely serious about
every suggestion. You need to successfully and forcefully let your
family know that you don't want to lose a hand to a dangerous machine
tool. Yell and scream graphically if it takes that, but pound it into
their heads so they don't have any doubt that you're serious.

Appendages usually are NOT reattachable. Saws shatter bones horribly
and even today's technology can't put them back together. MAKE
yourself heard. /soapbox

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to